Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 03:10 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Regardless of Elon’s disappointing Austin plans, another key factor here is the layoff wonderland that NorCal has been going through since the latter half of 2021. The layoffs that are still ongoing. The job market in NorCal I’d imagine is looking great over there (for employers). May as well take some of that talent away from the Silicon Valley companies laying off their employees.
Quote:
No. The post was about the layoffs in Silicon Valley giving Tesla an opportunity to land talent without over paying for it due to the job market. What does that have to do with Austin?
I read the bolded as you think Austin is going to be stealing talent from the Bay Area despite the fact that the tech industry in Austin is laying off people.

I also thought that the Austin facility was not going to be housing their engineers

Last edited by blameyourself; 02-28-2023 at 04:14 AM..

Old 02-28-2023, 08:50 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I read the bolded as you think Austin is going to be stealing talent from the Bay Area despite the fact that the tech industry in Austin is laying off people.

I also thought that the Austin facility was not going to be housing their engineers
The engineering hub is in SFBA not Austin. It is a good opportunity to take talent from the layoffs in the area there.

Old 02-28-2023, 10:00 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I already knew Elon wasn't going to move his the bulk of his innovation engineering operations from SFO to Austin, as well as many of the new age tech cities do not have anything that matches Stanford University or UC Berkley, both of which are pumping out innovation talent that are not replicated in many other universities across the country. He can't replace that level of skill here. I do think Austin is fit for Engineering operations though, and I do think some happen at the GigaFactory and I'm pretty certain many did relocate to Austin, but moving all engineering operations from SFO wasn't apart of the scope. The scope was moving the HQ to Austin save on taxes, that and he was upset with the Covid-19 shut downs and being fined for operating during them. That isn't to say thought that Austin did not benefit from the relocation nor is it to say that Tesla has not brought considerable talent and opportunities to Austin, but the level of talent needed in mass quantity for Tesla's innovation engineering is probably still better suited in SFO than Austin.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:10 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
The engineering hub is in SFBA not Austin. It is a good opportunity to take talent from the layoffs in the area there.
I give up .

Thank you Camaro for your insights.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:01 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I give up .

At no point did I say Austin wasn’t getting hit with tech layoffs or that Tesla or any other company should try to attract Silicon Valley for you.

I’ll say it as simply as I possibly can. SFBA is getting hammered with layoffs. Tesla has an opportunity to hire in California. Anything related to Austin is completely independent of that.

Not sure how it can get any simpler than that.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:57 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I already knew Elon wasn't going to move his the bulk of his innovation engineering operations from SFO to Austin, as well as many of the new age tech cities do not have anything that matches Stanford University or UC Berkley, both of which are pumping out innovation talent that are not replicated in many other universities across the country. He can't replace that level of skill here. I do think Austin is fit for Engineering operations though, and I do think some happen at the GigaFactory and I'm pretty certain many did relocate to Austin, but moving all engineering operations from SFO wasn't apart of the scope. The scope was moving the HQ to Austin save on taxes, that and he was upset with the Covid-19 shut downs and being fined for operating during them. That isn't to say thought that Austin did not benefit from the relocation nor is it to say that Tesla has not brought considerable talent and opportunities to Austin, but the level of talent needed in mass quantity for Tesla's innovation engineering is probably still better suited in SFO than Austin.
Correct. Not enough STEM grads in Texas to fill all the engineering innovation needs of the big tech players.
Plenty of football players though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin