Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 06:41 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times

Advertisements

Is it going to be at the location on 130? If so, I'm curious where all these people are going to live. Folks making that much money generally want better schools and such than what's in that part of town.

My neighbor is a Realtor and found houses last year for 3 people who were moving here with Tesla. One moved to River Place and the others moved to Leander/Cedar Park area. I couldn't imagine that commute from there.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:45 AM

11,849 posts, read 8,062,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Is it going to be at the location on 130? If so, I'm curious where all these people are going to live. Folks making that much money generally want better schools and such than what's in that part of town.

My neighbor is a Realtor and found houses last year for 3 people who were moving here with Tesla. One moved to River Place and the others moved to Leander/Cedar Park area. I couldn't imagine that commute from there.
Probably will be a different location given that’s a plant.

E. Austin metro does need to fix the school / amenity issue to encourage more middle / upper middle class growth.

The commute to Tesla from Leander actually isn’t too terrible. In my rides down that way it’s only about 30 - 40 minutes using the toll roads since they opened 183 East Side. 183’s tolled sections don’t really get congested. The section between 45 and MoPac does… here is what Google Maps quotes me in time to get to Tesla and it’s currently Friday morning rush hour…

Many folks moving from California Bay Area are used to commutes extending over an hour.

I also know people who moved out to Travisso who were initially worried about commutes into Downtown but were pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-08-2021 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-08-2021, 08:02 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Probably will be a different location given that’s a plant.

E. Austin metro does need to fix the school / amenity issue to encourage more middle / upper middle class growth.

The commute to Tesla from Leander actually isn’t too terrible. In my rides down that way it’s only about 30 - 40 minutes using the toll roads since they opened 183 East Side. 183’s tolled sections don’t really get congested. The section between 45 and MoPac does… here is what Google Maps quotes me in time to get to Tesla and it’s currently Friday morning rush hour…

Many folks moving from California Bay Area are used to commutes extending over an hour.

I also know people who moved out to Travisso who were initially worried about commutes into Downtown but were pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be.
Fridays are historically the lightest weekday traffic. This is also a long weekend for a lot of people, so a lot of folks taking today off to extend it. Also, if this pandemic ever ends, there will be a lot more cars on the road. My former assistant used to commute from Crystal Falls to the Pennybacker Bridge area. It would routinely take her an hour to get there (pre-COVID). The Tesla location is even farther.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Fridays are historically the lightest weekday traffic. This is also a long weekend for a lot of people, so a lot of folks taking today off to extend it. Also, if this pandemic ever ends, there will be a lot more cars on the road. My former assistant used to commute from Crystal Falls to the Pennybacker Bridge area. It would routinely take her an hour to get there (pre-COVID). The Tesla location is even farther.
I drive in that direction almost daily between 8am and 9am and the commute isn’t much different as shown from the Google Maps. I typically give trips to the airport before heading into work (extra cash). It never took me an hour to get there unless there was an accident or road work. Typically it takes about 35 - 45 minutes during morning rush hour.

Also its typically Monday's that are the lightest weekday traffic. Friday's are typically among the worst days to commute, especially in the evening. Everyone is getting paid, everyone is going out, and mixing with commuter traffic.

Here is live data for Austin particularly regarding which days are the best and worst to commute, Friday's definitely are not among the best in ATX and most other major cities I've lived in.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic...ustin-traffic/

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-08-2021 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-08-2021, 08:51 AM

539 posts, read 443,084 times
Quote:
True. Michael Dell does not live in East Round Rock. He lives in Westlake, and his 1400 acre private ranch is on Bee Caves Road near Barton Creek.

I have no idea where to HQ will be, but I know where the execs will live.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:51 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:

It’s going to make traffic on 71 headed towards Del Valle even worse. TXDot should start thinking about making it a real highway now.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It’s going to make traffic on 71 headed towards Del Valle even worse. TXDot should start thinking about making it a real highway now.
Some flyovers into the airport would be really nice.

Honestly if I could redesign that area I would put the entrance to the airport on 183 south of the 71 interchange to keep 71 E/W traffic to / from Austin free flowing and unimpeded by airport bound traffic. It would have to tunnel under one of the runways to get to the terminal but would do a great deal at helping that area.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Some flyovers into the airport would be really nice.

Honestly if I could redesign that area I would put the entrance to the airport on 183 south of the 71 interchange to keep 71 E/W traffic to / from Austin free flowing and unimpeded by airport bound traffic. It would have to tunnel under one of the runways to get to the terminal but would do a great deal at helping that area.
I'm talking more about "in" Del Valle, past 130. The Airport is a cluster no matter what. Even coming from my place, which is three exits away, I have anxiety.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:15 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,143,722 times
the top priority should be locking in the land for parks and east west transit corridors on the east side. 10 years ago the land was dirt cheap. It is still somewhat cheap now.

Far east should be zoned high density before a bunch of SFH and nimbys move in.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
the top priority should be locking in the land for parks and east west transit corridors on the east side. 10 years ago the land was dirt cheap. It is still somewhat cheap now.

Far east should be zoned high density before a bunch of SFH and nimbys move in.
I still highly doubt that Del Valle is going to become desirable, no matter how many people move here. Schools, number one, amenities (there is no GROCERY STORE in the city!) and infrastructure knock it down to bottom tier of anything. The only reason Tesla is out there now is because Del Valle ISD gave them a sweet deal.

People will just continue to crowd in the desirable areas and jack the prices up to the 3.6 million dollar mark and then leave to the next dreamland. (I get the 3.6 figure from a news story on KXAN this morning).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin