Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2023, 08:48 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,733,117 times

Advertisements

There have been several tragedies along the butler Hike and Bike Trail near the Rainey street entrance.

The most recent was about a month ago where a tourist in town went missing early in the morning and then was found in the lake. His family is really fighting for lighting and cameras along the trail.

Fox News article

The Trail Conservacy responded:

Quote:
Via email on 2/17/23

Dear Friends of the Trail:

You may have seen the recent news that the body of a missing Austin man Jason John was found earlier this week in Lady Bird Lake near the Rainey Street area of the Trail. We send our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Mr. John during this time. Mr. John’s family has been vocal about safety in and around that area so that other families do not have to experience what they have and are enduring.

Lighting the 10-mile Ann & Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail is a complex issue. About 50% of the Trail does not have any lighting, while other areas have excessive or un-uniformed lighting. During the community engagement process of our 2021 Trail Safety and Mobility Study, we heard from advocates on both sides of this issue. At the same time, some advocated for improved lighting throughout, while others advocated for preserving the night sky and ecology that relies on darkness.

The Trail Conservancy prioritizes the importance of the safety of all Trail users. We are incorporating the recommendations and principles of good lighting as outlined in the Butler Trail Safety & Mobility Plan on a project-by-project basis. We are integrating lighting into all our current and future capital projects, including the Butler Shores Exercise Area, Holly Project, and Rainey Street Trailhead. The Rainey Street Trailhead project will be breaking ground in the coming months and will include three types of lighting – pedestrian pole, bollard, and dock lighting.

Yesterday, we met with Mayor Watson, Council Member Qadri, and Parks Director McNeeley in what was likely the first of many meetings about enhancing the safety of Trail users. We also provided city leaders with a map illustrating the expanding number of encampments popping up around the Trail, asking for their help in solving this complex issue. In the meantime, we ask that you continue to report any encampments you encounter on the Trail to 311 by either calling or using the app.

I can assure you that TTC is committed to doing our part to keep Trail clean and safe for the millions of Trail users just like you that depend on it.
Thoughts? I’m really cynical about this and am an avid user of the trail and am staunchly on the side of leave the trail as it is. No matter where in the city these folks are/we’re something could have happened and its like the trail and its infrastructure is on trial when the trail was developed for recreation during the day light. It’s not meant as a walking path to get to your hipster Airbnb after a night out drinking. I’ve walked on the trail one time at night in my seven years here, with a head lamp and flash light with someone else and I was not comfortable. I’m on the trail every Saturday morning (at the least) and know its bumps, hills, and blind spots. I would never use it as it seems like some people are portraying it.

I am for cameras all around the trail. I don’t think that would affect things too much. I’d also be very happy to see the mounted patrol back on the trail, but park police were reassigned in the summer of 2020. (Yes, there’s a defund the police argument here, but two of the four of the deaths cites happened when park police were around).

What does everyone else think?

Link to study cited above: https://thetrailconservancy.org/proj...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 09:37 PM

11,855 posts, read 8,080,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There have been several tragedies along the butler Hike and Bike Trail near the Rainey street entrance.

The most recent was about a month ago where a tourist in town went missing early in the morning and then was found in the lake. His family is really fighting for lighting and cameras along the trail.

Fox News article

The Trail Conservacy responded:

Thoughts? I’m really cynical about this and am an avid user of the trail and am staunchly on the side of leave the trail as it is. No matter where in the city these folks are/we’re something could have happened and its like the trail and its infrastructure is on trial when the trail was developed for recreation during the day light. It’s not meant as a walking path to get to your hipster Airbnb after a night out drinking. I’ve walked on the trail one time at night in my seven years here, with a head lamp and flash light with someone else and I was not comfortable. I’m on the trail every Saturday morning (at the least) and know its bumps, hills, and blind spots. I would never use it as it seems like some people are portraying it.

I am for cameras all around the trail. I don’t think that would affect things too much. I’d also be very happy to see the mounted patrol back on the trail, but park police were reassigned in the summer of 2020. (Yes, there’s a defund the police argument here, but two of the four of the deaths cites happened when park police were around).

What does everyone else think?

Link to study cited above: https://thetrailconservancy.org/proj...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D
My opinion:

I probably would not use a trail in Austin, or anywhere for that matter, at night, however; I do have to note something:

Quote:
It’s not meant as a walking path to get to your hipster Airbnb after a night out drinking.
Technically, the trail is public property that citizens are paying taxes to maintain, so concerns from citizens about night lighting are legitimate regardless that they may be impractical or infeasible to actually deploy. The actual 'concern' is warranted, a probable solution? not likely.

The same goes for encampments along the trail. There is no evil in having concerns over safety in the matter when walking by people who very well may be drugged up with nothing to lose. It does not inherently become wrongful for people to seek improvements for personal safety matters, regardless of what time of day, for property that they are paying for in their jurisdiction.. If the park is established as a 24 Hr Facility (does not close or prohibit pedestrian activity after a certain hour in the evening), where your taxes are technically paying for the safety and utilization of such facility for every hour, including nights.. ..despite how foolish it may be to walk it alone at night, one can't necessarily say that it wasn't 'meant' to be established as a walking path at night.. ..regardless of how likely or unlikely improvements are to come to past.. ..and in this case.. ..unlikely...

Thats my $0.02.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-28-2023 at 10:13 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 01:53 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times
Pack some heat while walking around the trails at night.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:18 PM

550 posts, read 499,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Pack some heat while walking around the trails at night.
To shoot at the lake if it tries to drown you?

Old 03-02-2023, 11:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
To shoot at the lake if it tries to drown you?
IF you are walking in the lake, that's another discussion.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:43 AM

550 posts, read 499,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
IF you are walking in the lake, that's another discussion.
Well, the main issue is people keep drowning after wandering away from bars, so...

Old 03-04-2023, 08:52 PM

Or maybe getting mugged and thrown into the lake.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:24 PM

486 posts, read 535,224 times
Given the number of fatal incidents that have already happened there some infrared night vision cameras seem like a no-brainer. There is no ecological or light pollution concern for that and if it happens again we can at least confirm what is going around the lake at night that is causing people to die. I suspect these people are drunk and drugged out of their minds and fall or wander into the water but given the city's laissez-faire attitude towards the potentially violent lunatics roaming around down there nothing can be ruled out.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:44 PM

Night vision game cameras that are motion-sensor capable would be one step.
And maybe emergency phone stations like the ones that abound on the UT campus could be another.
Of course the best would be two bike officer teams patrolling both sides of the lake at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: