Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:50 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
*was*

Your anecdote is 30 years old
Still is, as have way more articles than this one and teachers have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 02:18 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
I’m not sure if what looks like a personal blog has him officially connected to AISD, but it’s a bad look for this guy to be writing stuff like that, no matter how true it is. It was blatantly disrespecting Eanes. And even if I agree with everything he said, you always represent the place you work and if I published something like that I’d be “counseled” and probably fired. But whatever.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Yes. My husband attended LBJ and played football. He remembers the chanting when they played Westlake in 1990, and it continued years after that. It's disgusting.
My three kids attended & graduated Austin Reagan throughout the 1980s Into the early ‘90s. They all competed in sports which included trips to Westlake. Yes, much of that school’s student body had the embarrassing racist reputation then.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
It wasn't racist when Edison High school in San Antonio called Alamo Heights "Alamo Whites". How is Westlake saying they are white racist?

Old 06-30-2021, 08:13 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My three kids attended & graduated Austin Reagan throughout the 1980s Into the early ‘90s. They all competed in sports which included trips to Westlake. Yes, much of that school’s student body had the embarrassing racist reputation then.

I have a few friends who attended Reagan around that time. They could've shared classes with your kids!

But, yes, embarrassing reputation, indeed.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 AM

539 posts, read 440,382 times
Quote:
I have a few friends who attended Reagan around that time. They could've shared classes with your kids!

But, yes, embarrassing reputation, indeed.
I would still rather send my kids to Westlake over Austin ISD. At least Westlake is fixing it's (one) problem.

The problems in other districts such as AISD are the size of a mountain compared to Eanes ISD.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I would still rather send my kids to Westlake over Austin ISD. At least Westlake is fixing it's (one) problem.

The problems in other districts such as AISD are the size of a mountain compared to Eanes ISD.
No thanks to Westlake. I'll believe they're fixing their "one problem" when I see it.

If I lived in AISD, I'd prefer my daughter attend LASA over Westlake. ::shrugs:: We actually considered taking steps to make it happen.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:12 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
No thanks to Westlake. I'll believe they're fixing their "one problem" when I see it.

If I lived in AISD, I'd prefer my daughter attend LASA over Westlake. ::shrugs:: We actually considered taking steps to make it happen.
When I see people say they want to be in AISD to go to LASA I have to remind them of the high pressure and the fact that it’s not just a school you go to. I’m sure by the way you said “taking steps to make that happen” you mean the application process. It’s tough and it’s not for everyone. If I wanted my top 25% type kid to get the best education, I’d go with Westlake instead of the pressure of trying to get into LASA. And I’m speaking as a top 20% kid in a highly competitive 5a (now 6a) school
In San Antonio.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:18 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:

You know Austin ISD and Eanes ISD aren't the only two options in the area, right?

Old 06-30-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
When I see people say they want to be in AISD to go to LASA I have to remind them of the high pressure and the fact that it’s not just a school you go to. I’m sure by the way you said “taking steps to make that happen” you mean the application process. It’s tough and it’s not for everyone. If I wanted my top 25% type kid to get the best education, I’d go with Westlake instead of the pressure of trying to get into LASA. And I’m speaking as a top 20% kid in a highly competitive 5a (now 6a) school
In San Antonio.
Thanks for that. Yes, I realize the rigorous process. I have two friends who had children recently graduate from LASA, and I've been researching and considering the LASA application process for years. I'd still prefer LASA over Westlake for other reasons beyond the curricula.

Taking steps to make it happen also included purchasing property from my husband's grandmother in University Hills. We considered uprooting our life from Round Rock to Austin for this. This is how serious we were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin