Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 07:42 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile I got 46.8 mpg in my hybrid today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 08:20 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Meanwhile I got 46.8 mpg in my hybrid today.
I'm going to try an experiment on my Prius pretty soon.. I'm going to build and install an electrolysis hydrogen system to see if it assists my fuel mileage. The challenges will be having it activate only when the gasoline motor is active so I don't create a hydrogen bomb in my intake manifold while the thing is running on the electric motor..

..I guess I may tap into the fuel injection system and wire up a relay to activate it only when the engine is running. I have to look into that.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 PM

I was bored and went out for a ride.

Downtown had more people than I thought it would but is dead by Saturday Night standards.

All the road work on Slaughter Ln and La Crosse seems to be done. The left lane on MoPac was still closed for some time after the overpasses fully opened, thats all opened up now though.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:28 PM

And another local favorite restaurant closed due to a Covid outbreak, this time it was Moutons Bistro and Bar in Leander.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm going to try an experiment on my Prius pretty soon.. I'm going to build and install an electrolysis hydrogen system to see if it assists my fuel mileage. The challenges will be having it activate only when the gasoline motor is active so I don't create a hydrogen bomb in my intake manifold while the thing is running on the electric motor..

..I guess I may tap into the fuel injection system and wire up a relay to activate it only when the engine is running. I have to look into that.

So you are going to make a perpetual motion machine or, more accurately, a machine with a perpetual motion aspect? Good luck! Electrolysis requires energy equal to if not greater than the energy available from the burning the hydrogen. And a high voltage alternator to charge the hybrid battery won't work either.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
So you are going to make a perpetual motion machine or, more accurately, a machine with a perpetual motion aspect? Good luck! Electrolysis requires energy equal to if not greater than the energy available from the burning the hydrogen. And a high voltage alternator to charge the hybrid battery won't work either.
Entirely Logical, but still worth trying for the heck of it. Doesn’t cost much to make one. and I’ve seen firsthand where people actually did increase their fuel mileage. There are owner operator truck drivers that use it on Diesel engines to improve their fuel efficiency, although the gains are relatively small (2 or 3 MPG), owner operators that have to pay for their own fuel typically have to save as much as they can to turn a profit.

Supposedly the systems are not necessarily replacing gasoline as a fuel source, but producing only enough gas to supplement the fuel burning process to assist fuel burning to be accomplished more completely or basically utilizing energy that was previously unused in fuel by making the fuel burning process more efficient, thus the actual input of HHO to the motor is relatively small in comparison to inflow of gasoline, therefor not requiring as much energy to accomplish brown gas generation to obtain increase of MPG, but the more brown gas generated, yes you will eventually max out your alternator and the generation process will require more energy than you receive back from the brown gas, but the energy you're actually getting isn't strictly from the brown gas but unburnt fuel particles that did not efficiently burn in the combustion chamber.

Another thing I've tried way in the past and in a different car that works pretty well is Acetone.. That increased my fuel mileage by about 3 MPG ..but I wouldn't recommend that for daily use, Acetone also eats plastics, which many fuel tanks are made out of.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-07-2021 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 11:58 AM

Ah yes... ...another day with wind mills in the midst of a busy urban intersection...

Old 02-09-2021, 01:04 PM

Where I'm at there seems to be a hefty number of gravel trucks that head south on 183 and then get on 71. They drive about 35 mph tops. It's the worst, especially when I'm trying to get somewhere quickly. I can get onto 71 into about 3 minutes without these guys in the way, but when they're in the way it can add an extra 10 minutes. They're a combination of construction trucks and trucks headed from Montopolis Supply Company. Whatever they are they're annoying.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:12 PM

Have they finished the 71 / 183 interchange yet? I hate that lefthand exit from 183 to 71 during the road work, I've made the mistake of taking the U-Turn right before the exit because the road work signs misled you to believe the exit was sooner than it really was but that was some time ago. I visited Austin Animal Shelter not too long ago and 183 east side has come quite a ways.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Have they finished the 71 / 183 interchange yet? I hate that lefthand exit from 183 to 71 during the road work, I've made the mistake of taking the U-Turn right before the exit because the road work signs misled you to believe the exit was sooner than it really was but that was some time ago. I visited Austin Animal Shelter not too long ago and 183 east side has come quite a ways.
Just the area where Airport hits 183 down to the exit for 71 is left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin