Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 10:12 PM

20,859 posts, read 9,521,992 times

Advertisements

Some people here are blaming the OP for neglecting his dog.

That might be true, but not all incessantly barking dogs do so out of neglect.

I have a back door neighbor with 4 dogs. They are all similar (2 are retrievers, 2 are something else, I don't know what, but are kinda similar to a retriever).

3 of the dogs are fine (including both retrievers). They bark occasionally, but no big deal.

But one of them is really, really annoying. If I go in my backyard and that particular dog in in their backyard, I will get barked at quite vigorously. I can't stand going in my backyard when that dog is out in their yard (there is a fence between our yards, FYI). I can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the stupid thing.

I've complained to to these neighbors about it, and if they're out there while their dog is out there and it starts barking at me, they'll try to rein in the dog, and sometimes bring it in. But they're not always in their backyard when their dog(s) is out there, so they can't always be there to rein the thing in. The neighbors themselves are fine, and when I've spoken to them are considerate of my complaints, but they just have this one really annoying dog. I would be thrilled if they ever got rid of it.

Point being, sometimes it's not the owners, it's the particular dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 03:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Some people here are blaming the OP for neglecting his dog.

That might be true, but not all incessantly barking dogs do so out of neglect.

I have a back door neighbor with 4 dogs. They are all similar (2 are retrievers, 2 are something else, I don't know what, but are kinda similar to a retriever).

3 of the dogs are fine (including both retrievers). They bark occasionally, but no big deal.

But one of them is really, really annoying. If I go in my backyard and that particular dog in in their backyard, I will get barked at quite vigorously. I can't stand going in my backyard when that dog is out in their yard (there is a fence between our yards, FYI). I can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the stupid thing.

I've complained to to these neighbors about it, and if they're out there while their dog is out there and it starts barking at me, they'll try to rein in the dog, and sometimes bring it in. But they're not always in their backyard when their dog(s) is out there, so they can't always be there to rein the thing in. The neighbors themselves are fine, and when I've spoken to them are considerate of my complaints, but they just have this one really annoying dog. I would be thrilled if they ever got rid of it.

Point being, sometimes it's not the owners, it's the particular dog.
If this dog is causing a disturbance and they are leaving it outside for it to do so, that IS the owner's fault. How could you possibly give them a pass? The dog isn't in charge.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If this dog is causing a disturbance and they are leaving it outside for it to do so, that IS the owner's fault. How could you possibly give them a pass? The dog isn't in charge.
It's not barking incessantly at nothing, it only starts barking when it sees me out there. So they let all 4 dogs outside in their backyard, go in their house to do something, or maybe go to the store or whatever, and while they're away I happen to go in my backyard and it starts barking at me.

If they do happen to be in their backyard they try to rein it in. So they're trying, but they're not always there to do so.

And again, their other 3 dogs are no problem.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:31 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
Amazon has bark collars activated by the vibration created from a barking dog. They are not that expensive, rechargeable, and can be left on the dogs without harm. The sensitivity is adjustable, and the responses are different, chirping sound, vibration or the last one is the shock mode. You can test it on your bare arm and they are irritating but not painful.

We came close to rehoming an 8-month-old new puppy which couldn't be left alone for a minute. The collar took care of the issue in under 3 minutes, and afterward we kept it on the kitchen counter collecting dust. When we got a second dog the collar was used again, I think maybe three times. A few times a year the dogs got into a barking contest, and swinging the collar in the air brought immediate peace in the house. Give it a try, they work, and they don't harm the pets.

Last edited by mgforshort; 04-15-2024 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 06:22 PM

^
That's a good idea, maybe next time I have a discussion with the neighbor about that dog I might mention it.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It's not barking incessantly at nothing, it only starts barking when it sees me out there. So they let all 4 dogs outside in their backyard, go in their house to do something, or maybe go to the store or whatever, and while they're away I happen to go in my backyard and it starts barking at me.

If they do happen to be in their backyard they try to rein it in. So they're trying, but they're not always there to do so.

And again, their other 3 dogs are no problem.
They're not trying if they still leave the dog in the yard when they're not home, especially after knowing that it's disruptive. Fortunately, we have ordinances against that here.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 764,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Amazon has bark collars activated by the vibration created from a barking dog.
We live in a neighborhood where several houses back up against a good-sized circular saltwater basin/canal (Florida). A new neighbor brought in a lab/pit mix a few months after moving in.

They would put the dog in their screened lanai and dog barked continuously, for hours on end, for days on end. The barking echoed off the backs of all the houses, affecting 12 other people directing sharing the space. Didn't matter if anyone was even out on their dock or in the yard... it simply was lonely and barked its fool head off.

Several of us took turns attempting to contact them to ask them to make it stop. They never would answer the door, either not home or pretending to not be home. I say pretending because we could clearly see them moving around in the lit-up house at night during the barking episodes.

I printed off some pages from Amazon with information about those collars and left them in an envelope, taped to their front door handle with a short note, to explain that they needed to get control of their dog, or else. My suggestion was ignored, apparently. A few neighbors ended up contacting animal control, and that mostly did the trick. The dog still barks, but it is inside the house where it isn't such a nuisance.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
They're not trying if they still leave the dog in the yard when they're not home, especially after knowing that it's disruptive. Fortunately, we have ordinances against that here.
How are they supposed to know when I'll happen to go outside into my backyard when they have their dogs out?

Again, they have 4 dogs, only 1 of which is an annoyance. I'm not going to expect them to let 3 dogs out in their backyard and just leave the 1 in, even though I find the 1 dog to be really annoying.

Old Today, 04:02 PM

Quote:
How are they supposed to know when I'll happen to go outside into my backyard when they have their dogs out?

Again, they have 4 dogs, only 1 of which is an annoyance. I'm not going to expect them to let 3 dogs out in their backyard and just leave the 1 in, even though I find the 1 dog to be really annoying.
It doesn't matter if you're outside or not. They shouldn't leave their dog(s) out unsupervised if they cause a nuisance when doing so. They need to be there to correct its behavior or they're simply being lazy and inconsiderate, and on topic, they should be cited.

Old Today, 05:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you're outside or not. They shouldn't leave their dog(s) out unsupervised if they cause a nuisance when doing so. They need to be there to correct its behavior or they're simply being lazy and inconsiderate, and on topic, they should be cited.
100% agreed.

If my dogs started barking incessantly... I would investigate, and in finding that it's for no good reason I would train or discipline said dog.

I'm tired of lazy, entitled dog owners. They are a responsibility. You can't just get a dog and think it's zero work.

A dog barking for no reason is disturbing the peace and enjoyment of their neighbours.

I expect to city to intervene with a fine. Hopefully a large one.

Seems like that's what it takes to cancel out the huge entitlement of said dog owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona