Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 10:36 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A dog’s “job” is to annoy the neighbors?

Obviously, "The Basic Logic" of far too many neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 08:07 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Neglecting?

You don't have to be out of the house for the dogs to feel the need to bark. And they do feel the need, that's their job.
That is very true. All my neighbors have dogs. When I hear one barking a lot, I usually go and see what's wrong. The problem is when the ratio of something wrong vs barking for attention is 5/95. I have a neighbor who lives in lot behind me that has put theirs out in the snow recently for a minute or two. The dog at least doesn't get to howling like some puppies do when first 'banished' to the outdoors.

Another one on one side never barks when folks walk by but at squirrels or such. The other two neighbors' dogs only like to bark at me when I'm taking the trash out.

I just adopted a cat today.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:58 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Nosy non-Arizona guy here... but aren't you (and a lot of other people) making some assumptions? Maybe the OP has a history I'm not in on, but as a dog owner myself and somebody surrounded by neighbor 'barkers', it seemed like a reasonable question to me. Somebody complained months ago, OP thought the matter was settled. l live across the street from dogs that do a lot of barking when they're outside. They certainly aren't 'neglected'.

How do you know the dog is left outside all day and night? And how do you know the dog was barking nonstop?
I too, am a non-arizonan but Im pretty sure this kind of thing is common all over. We've had a stray dog, show up on our porch and it appeared this gorgeous huskie had been tied to a tree or pole or something forever, as her choker collar was all rusted and the cable that she was dragging around looked like the fibers finally tore from wear, and never was inside. No collar, name tag, nothing, just that rusty choker chain. She also was very thirst, we gave her water but later that day she was gone so we dont know what happened to her. Yes we did remove that rusty cord that was tied to her collar though.
Sad.
For the most part, dogs dont just bark endlessly unless they have reason to.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:25 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country pride View Post
I too, am a non-arizonan but Im pretty sure this kind of thing is common all over. We've had a stray dog, show up on our porch and it appeared this gorgeous huskie had been tied to a tree or pole or something forever, as her choker collar was all rusted and the cable that she was dragging around looked like the fibers finally tore from wear, and never was inside. No collar, name tag, nothing, just that rusty choker chain. She also was very thirst, we gave her water but later that day she was gone so we dont know what happened to her. Yes we did remove that rusty cord that was tied to her collar though.
Sad.
For the most part, dogs dont just bark endlessly unless they have reason to.
Like their owner is gone all day/night?

Old 02-26-2024, 09:58 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I have a much more civilized pet a ferret, that doesn't bark, makes no noise. I walk him on a leash for 6-10 blocks every night.

I've had 9 ferrets over 30 years and still can't imagine someone wanting to own a dog.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:07 AM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have a much more civilized pet a ferret, that doesn't bark, makes no noise. I walk him on a leash for 6-10 blocks every night.

I've had 9 ferrets over 30 years and still can't imagine someone wanting to own a dog.
But do they offer the companionship that a dog offers, or only benign tolerance?

Old 02-27-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Sad.
In August 1978, during a nasty, all-day rainstorm a stray dog or dog-wolf showed up at our house. We let him into the basement and gave him some food and water. We could not get near the dog, nor would we since we didn't know if it had its shots. The next day two things happened:
  1. We called the police, for animal control. They let the dog out, and then shot it; and
  2. I got my LSAT scores. My rejoicing was tempered by the simultaneous sound of shots.
To this day I wonder if the police shot the dog because it was the convenient thing to do.

Quote:
For the most part, dogs don't just bark endlessly unless they have reason to.
I wonder about that. Remember, barking is fairly recent in dogs' development. Wolves can bark but rarely do.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:59 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We called the police, for animal control. They let the dog out, and then shot it
To this day I wonder if the police shot the dog because it was the convenient thing to do.

Since you mentioned wolfdog, they likely killed it because mixes between wolves and dogs are not allowed as pets. There are no USDA-approved rabies vaccines for them.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Since you mentioned wolfdog, they likely killed it because mixes between wolves and dogs are not allowed as pets. There are no USDA-approved rabies vaccines for them.
I do not know if it was a wolf-dog or not. It acted like one.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:24 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But do they offer the companionship that a dog offers, or only benign tolerance?
3rd most popular pet in America today and they've become increasingly popular in China/Japan.

My ferret sleeps with me, gives me lots of love licks to my face and I actually think he'd protect me from an assault.

My roommate had been away for 3 months, he sneaked into the house without knocking, my ferret must have taken him for a burglar and charged at him, ready to bite his leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona