Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:03 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScorpion12 View Post
This is a huge problem all across the valley so what did you expect the response here to be? Pity that you received a citation for your inconsiderate acts? Like others have said it take a lot of complaints to receive a citation and there's so many rude, inconsiderate dog owners here. Why have a dog if you're just going to leave them alone outside? I'm sure you wouldn't like being stuck outside alone all day/night while the rest of your family was inside together.

Also there are many who work different shifts so they're trying to sleep during the day. Then many work from home now so imagine trying to get your work done or being on a Zoom call listening to this. You need to realize others do not want to listen to your dog barking non stop day/night.

Nosy non-Arizona guy here... but aren't you (and a lot of other people) making some assumptions? Maybe the OP has a history I'm not in on, but as a dog owner myself and somebody surrounded by neighbor 'barkers', it seemed like a reasonable question to me. Somebody complained months ago, OP thought the matter was settled. l live across the street from dogs that do a lot of barking when they're outside. They certainly aren't 'neglected'.

How do you know the dog is left outside all day and night? And how do you know the dog was barking nonstop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 08:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Nosy non-Arizona guy here... but aren't you (and a lot of other people) making some assumptions? Maybe the OP has a history I'm not in on, but as a dog owner myself and somebody surrounded by neighbor 'barkers', it seemed like a reasonable question to me. Somebody complained months ago, OP thought the matter was settled. l live across the street from dogs that do a lot of barking when they're outside. They certainly aren't 'neglected'.

How do you know the dog is left outside all day and night? And how do you know the dog was barking nonstop?
As others have mentioned, it's really hard to get cited for this. It takes multiple neighbors signing the complaint, a log documenting violations, and in some cases, recorded evidence. This isn't fido going out to take a dump and barking at a bird on his way in or out. The citation shows a habitual lack of care.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post

You don't get a citation for the first offense, it take multiple offenses. The dog must be left outside for a very long period of time if the neighbors are complaining. Some leave their dogs outside all day when they leave for work and others dump their dog outside as soon as they get home and leave them all night. Here in my city they give you a couple warning then they go to mediation with the owner and the one complaining. If that doesn't resolve anything then it'll go to court where I've heard the judge (if there's enough proof) has taken the dog away.

I beg to differ that they're not "neglected" if they're left outside all the time and they're barking. Especially in our summer heat. They're barking for a reason, mostly because they're lonely. We're not talking about a few barks it's the non stop uncontrollable barking. There's a big difference between leaving a dog outside for a few hours and dumping them outside all day or night. I don't think you would you enjoy 4-5 neighbors cranking up their music all night every night while you're trying to sleep?

No offense but most dog owners never seem to see that they're the problem. Before making a complaint I asked a neighbor once if she could please not leave her dogs outside all night as they bark constantly and they keep us awake. She told me to f'off and mind my own business. After filing a complaint with the city and the PD (the city said it's good to have this on record from the PD) guess what, the barking stopped.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:24 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It must be bad if it's come to this. Don't be a bad neighbor.
No. We don't know how bad it is. Perhaps there was grounds for a legitimate complaint, perhaps there is a neighbor who loves to complain. I have received complaints about my dogs barking when they are all inside my house!

Old 01-25-2024, 10:45 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScorpion12 View Post
You don't get a citation for the first offense, it take multiple offenses. The dog must be left outside for a very long period of time if the neighbors are complaining. Some leave their dogs outside all day when they leave for work and others dump their dog outside as soon as they get home and leave them all night. Here in my city they give you a couple warning then they go to mediation with the owner and the one complaining. If that doesn't resolve anything then it'll go to court where I've heard the judge (if there's enough proof) has taken the dog away.

I beg to differ that they're not "neglected" if they're left outside all the time and they're barking. Especially in our summer heat. They're barking for a reason, mostly because they're lonely. We're not talking about a few barks it's the non stop uncontrollable barking. There's a big difference between leaving a dog outside for a few hours and dumping them outside all day or night. I don't think you would you enjoy 4-5 neighbors cranking up their music all night every night while you're trying to sleep?

No offense but most dog owners never seem to see that they're the problem. Before making a complaint I asked a neighbor once if she could please not leave her dogs outside all night as they bark constantly and they keep us awake. She told me to f'off and mind my own business. After filing a complaint with the city and the PD (the city said it's good to have this on record from the PD) guess what, the barking stopped.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
No. We don't know how bad it is. Perhaps there was grounds for a legitimate complaint, perhaps there is a neighbor who loves to complain. I have received complaints about my dogs barking when they are all inside my house!
I'm not sure if it's like this in every city here but here after two complains (by the same person) the city mandates you go to mediation. If you chose not to then they won't respond to your complaints until you do. This cuts down on the grumpy neighbor who has nothing better to do than yell at everyone to get off their lawn.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times
I'm sorry but anyone who neglects their dog and has them barking all night or all day deserves to be fined. It's called disturbing the peace it's just as annoying as the drunk neighbor next door partying and blasting their stereo all night. People want peace at night.

I've had to deal with annoying barking dogs before it's the worst. Lesson learned.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:55 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I mentioned to a neighbor that her dog barked at every passing car while she was at work. She assured me that "He only barks when I'm at home."
Um, she wasn't around to know if he barked or not.

That just seems like the way a lot of people think. "I can't hear it (or it doesn't bother me), so why are you complaining?"

Old 01-25-2024, 11:20 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
We only had one bad neighbor who owned dogs and was trying to run a kennel out of her rented home that had a fenced in yard. While she trotted off to work leaving them unattended all day long. Then sometimes she'd go out drinking at night with her boyfriend with the dogs still outside barking until she got home in the wee hours of the morning. I knew she had a drinking problem when I first confronted her about the dogs on several occasions. Each time it was obvious she was drinking. I had no choice but to call the sheriff when she had 10 dogs outside barking until 3:00 in the morning. They sent a deputy to her home and that was the end of that. Shortly after that she moved.

We now have neighbors on each side of us that own dogs. But you'd never know it. They're never left outside unattended. Both neighbors walk their dogs and clean up after them as most people in our neighborhood do. Occasionally they'll bark when outside for a short period. But it's no big deal. Although there are a few people that don't clean up after their dogs. But it's only been a few times when I'd find a pile left in the middle of my driveway. Some people have posted signs regarding that. One even went so far as leaving a container with plastic bags under the sign.

I just don't get why some people have no respect for other people or their property? It's not just dog owner's. Where I live in Arizona it's mostly dog owner's. In New York it was both dog owner's and people who litter. Back there I can't count how many times I'd have to clean up after both.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:57 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I just got a summons in the mail telling me I am being charged with distubing the peace and when I went to the police station they said it had to do with my dog barking? Has this very happened to anyone else. I had a neighbor complain to me several months ago but I thought the problem was resolved. No police visits ot prior letters from any agency or person.
Well, I'd be surprised that the cops have time to respond to a barking dog.....so, was the citation issued by animal control? They may have received multiple complaints and swung by to check it out. Maybe a complaining party has recordings of your barking dog.

Depends on your local ordinances. Barking dogs are a pain.

I can't even stand my own dog barking...not even for a couple of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona