Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 11:27 AM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My roommate had been away for 3 months, he sneaked into the house without knocking, my ferret must have taken him for a burglar and charged at him, ready to bite his leg.
He didn't recognize your roommate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 12:39 PM

990 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I just got a summons in the mail telling me I am being charged with distubing the peace and when I went to the police station they said it had to do with my dog barking? Has this very happened to anyone else. I had a neighbor complain to me several months ago but I thought the problem was resolved. No police visits ot prior letters from any agency or person.
Some details about your home, how close to neighbors, etc... would be helpful.

Yes I had this happen also. I lived on the 12th floor of a 14 story high rise. Due to building design, the only way somebody could hear my dog barking was if they were directly at my door, or in the laundry/utility room in the condo directly above or below my unit.

My dog was at home all day alone while we worked. My wife had a semi negative interaction with our direct upstairs neighbor over cigarette smoking smells wafting into her condo via venting, but we dont smoke nor allow guests to smoke in our home. She still accused my wife of the problem.

The dog barking complaints to management started shortly after. It got to the point that they were going to fine us, per offense.

I bought several cheap wifi security cameras that also recorded sound. I installed them in the places I knew the dog would sleep or hang out during the day, and one looking out the front door at the common building hallway from my condo.

It soon became apparent that my dog only barked (for a minute or so) when somebody came to the front door. I also caught the jerk neighbor walking by with a broom in her hands, and smacking the broom against my door, which caused the dog to bark like any dog would do. She would pause to listen, then she would walk away. All caught on video with sound.

The next time management came to me about dog barking "problems", I showed it all to her. She admitted she thought it was BS, and apologized for all the interactions.

Then I told the manager that we often smell strong cigarette smoke in our condo, and we think it is likely the upstairs condo resident, lol......

Old 02-29-2024, 02:29 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,706,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A dog’s “job” is to annoy the neighbors?
That would go a long way toward explaining my neighbors' attitude.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:39 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I have learned that dogs can small something 60 feet away. When I walk my ferret late at night, making no noise at all, before long some dog smells my ferret, even behind cinder block walls, and the dog starts barking, and then other dogs start barking in the neighborhood.

I don't understand dogs at all. I can understand a dog barking at someone who could be a threat to its owner, but to bark for no reason at all?

There are more intelligent dogs. There's been times I've walk by a fence with a big dog, the dog comes out to see me and my ferret, no barking, he turns around and heads back to the house to sleep. If only more dogs were like that!!!

Old 03-02-2024, 07:25 AM

140 posts, read 317,108 times
When I take my dog for our "long walk" we run into a community with a string of 6 homes with at least 2 barking dogs per residence. It is interesting to see how they all start barking when they first detect us coming, making for an annoying walk.

Since my dog is still young and in training, I use this as a training tool, I will purposely put him in the sit position in front of one of the offending homes. I reward him if he stays quiet and stays in the sit position, after a few weeks he's a champ. As a previous poster mentioned, some learned to relax, 2 out of 13!

Don't you know, occasionally one of the homeowners will come out and ask why I'm making their dogs bark? They just don't get it, thank goodness Max has learned proper behavior and doesn't need further reinforcement.

Old 03-13-2024, 03:48 PM

55 posts, read 51,478 times
In all fairness to OP it could be a bad neighbor harassing him. When I first moved to Prescott I had one hell of a wacko on my street.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:49 PM

28 posts, read 26,982 times
And now your neighbors can turn their backyard into a for-profit dog park and you'd get to listen to a new dog barking each day. Oh joy!

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/02/17/...ive-dog-parks/

Old 04-07-2024, 10:58 AM

15 posts, read 24,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I just got a summons in the mail telling me I am being charged with distubing the peace and when I went to the police station they said it had to do with my dog barking? Has this very happened to anyone else. I had a neighbor complain to me several months ago but I thought the problem was resolved. No police visits ot prior letters from any agency or person.

Please tell me where you live! Any municipality that addresses the noise pollution of barking dogs is a place I want to live!

Old 04-14-2024, 03:42 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azscorpion12 View Post
this is a huge problem all across the valley so what did you expect the response here to be? Pity that you received a citation for your inconsiderate acts? Like others have said it take a lot of complaints to receive a citation and there's so many rude, inconsiderate dog owners here. Why have a dog if you're just going to leave them alone outside? I'm sure you wouldn't like being stuck outside alone all day/night while the rest of your family was inside together.

Also there are many who work different shifts so they're trying to sleep during the day. Then many work from home now so imagine trying to get your work done or being on a zoom call listening to this. You need to realize others do not want to listen to your dog barking non stop day/night.

Beautifully Stated !

Old 04-14-2024, 06:28 PM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScorpion12 View Post
This is a huge problem all across the valley so what did you expect the response here to be? Pity that you received a citation for your inconsiderate acts? Like others have said it take a lot of complaints to receive a citation and there's so many rude, inconsiderate dog owners here. Why have a dog if you're just going to leave them alone outside? I'm sure you wouldn't like being stuck outside alone all day/night while the rest of your family was inside together.

Also there are many who work different shifts so they're trying to sleep during the day. Then many work from home now so imagine trying to get your work done or being on a Zoom call listening to this. You need to realize others do not want to listen to your dog barking non stop day/night.
I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s and two different houses. Both of them had a joining houses with very obnoxious dogs.

And I agree with another poster, your post is beautiful. People should not buy dogs if they don’t want them as part of their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona