Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 03:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,259,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
Good Job ElkHunter.. Feel free to ask away!!
Thanks Poletop.

This one sounds tough, but should be pretty easy.

Who was the first two white women to cross the continent overland, traveling the Oregon Trail with their missionary husbands? What year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,259,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Thanks Poletop.

This one sounds tough, but should be pretty easy.

Who was the first two white women to cross the continent overland, traveling the Oregon Trail with their missionary husbands? What year?
Whoops. It's been pointed out that this one has been asked before. So let's try this one.

Oscar-winning actress Barbara Stanwyck (1907-1990) donated her awards and papers—including her Oscar for her lifetime achievements in film—to who?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,310,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Whoops. It's been pointed out that this one has been asked before. So let's try this one.

Oscar-winning actress Barbara Stanwyck (1907-1990) donated her awards and papers—including her Oscar for her lifetime achievements in film—to who?
They were donated to the Wyoming American Heritage Center.

AHC Finding Aid for the*Barbara Stanwyck Papers (http://ahc.uwyo.edu/usearchives/inventories/03787.htm - broken link)

The facilities for which are in my opinion one of the most interesting architectural structures in Wyoming.

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/stream/736696?width=467&height=295&stretch=true&clip=true (broken link)

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
They were donated to the Wyoming American Heritage Center.

AHC Finding Aid for the*Barbara Stanwyck Papers (http://ahc.uwyo.edu/usearchives/inventories/03787.htm - broken link)

The facilities for which are in my opinion one of the most interesting architectural structures in Wyoming.
I'm pretty sure I got that right so... speaking of interesting architecture...

What and where is this (see photo below)?
Attached Thumbnails
Wyoming Trivia (Renamed)-picture-1.jpg  

Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM

Hint: It is located near a ranger station discussed previously.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Hint: some people call it the Chinese House, but that is not its correct name.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM

278 posts, read 608,041 times
"The Smith Mansion is located in Wapiti Valley, Wyoming. It sits approximately 15 miles from the East Gate of Yellowstone National Park. Construction started in 1973. The creator/builder, Francis Lee Smith, was an Architect/Engineer. He spent nearly three decades building his mansion, his life's work. Smith died while working on the mansion in April of 1992.
The mansion is built primarily by hand tools, handmade pulley systems, and a lot of hard work. It stands high, over 75 feet tall. The mansion is built in the direct center of the valley. All the timbers used in its construction were hand picked from Rattlesnake Mountain, in Cody. Five to seven logs were hauled out at a time, using a small half-ton pick up."

Old 05-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Great question CptRn.. Been by there many times....

Next question... This area was once called "Dad's Toothpicks" and was given its current name in 1941 by Orrin Bonney. Give me its current name, and the best picture that you can find.....This is in my opinion, the most beautiful place in Wyoming!!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:51 PM

You got it Poletop. Here is more information for anyone interested. It is a shame he didn't get to finish it.

Smith Mansion Preservation Project

Creator and Builder of the Smith Mansion, Architectural Engineer: Francis Lee Smith

Kulr8-Wapiti Mansion Documentary, Story by: Penny Preston :: Smith Mansion Preservation Project (http://www.smithmansion.org/news/kulr8-wapiti-mansion-documentary-story-by-penny-preston/ - broken link)

Video: Wapiti Mansion Documentary | KULR-8 News, Sports, Weather - Billings, Montana | Local Top Stories

Photo: 100_7487.JPG

"We get many questions about this building located near Wapiti between Cody and Yellowstone. The story we heard says a man was building this home piece by piece. Everytime he got 50 cents in his pocket he'd go buy another board. After years of construction, he fell off the roof and died. His son refused to sell the place or tear it down, insisting on leaving it as a tribute to his father."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
Great question CptRn.. Been by there many times....

Next question... This area was once called "Dad's Toothpicks" and was given its current name in 1941 by Orrin Bonney. Give me its current name, and the best picture that you can find.....This is in my opinion, the most beautiful place in Wyoming!!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Just over Jackass Pass, or Texas pass....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming