Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

What is the deepest cave in Wyoming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What is the deepest cave in Wyoming?
Hint - It's located in the Teton National Forest.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM

278 posts, read 606,006 times
Excellent question!! I had never heard of this cave, so I had to look it up..It has been getting harder to come up with good questions..

Columbine Crawl - 2.34 miles
Teton County , Wyoming

Columbine Crawl is located in the Teton Range. It is formed in the Madison limestone. The entrance is 850 m above the lowest resurgence in the area. The entrance is a small hole in a rugged alpine karst. It is covered by snow for up to ten months of the year.
Mike Beer was the first to enter the cave when he explored 70 m at the end of 1980. The depth of -453 m was reached in 1981 by Jeb Blakeley, Jean Jancewicz, Bob Benedict and Chris Albers for a length of 2900 m. The cave consists of a 70 m entrance crawl followed by 2 series of drops through two layers of limestone. The first series is characterized by rotten rock and tight squeezes on rope. The rock of the second series is solid; there are bigger shafts and lots of water. The cave drops steeply through the Madison limestone onto a shale at the top of the Darby formation. There are some 100 m long sewer pipes requiring nearly total immersion in 1-degree C water. At the end of a low air space belly crawl is a small chamber at the bottom of a breakdown filled canyon that marks the end of the cave.
One significant side passage was found to contain several torrential waterfalls and a howling wind that ends in a shaft whose floor is covered with gravel and a 0.5 m deep lake.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM

You got it Poletop. You're up!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM

8-3-102. Adoption, use and specifications of state flag; penalty for misuse. (a) A state flag is adopted to be used on all occasions when the state is officially and publicly represented. All citizens have the privilege of use of the flag upon any occasion they deem appropriate. The width of the flag shall be seven-tenths (7/10) of its length; the outside border shall be in red, the width of which shall be one-twentieth (1/20) of the length of the flag; next to the border shall be a stripe of white on the four (4) sides of the field, which shall be in width one-fortieth (1/40) of the length of the flag. The remainder of the flag shall be a blue field, in the center of which shall be a white silhouetted buffalo, the length of which shall be one-half (1/2) of the length of the blue field; the other measurements of the buffalo shall be in proportion to its length. On the ribs of the buffalo shall be the great seal of the state of Wyoming in blue. The seal shall be in diameter one-fifth (1/5) the length of the flag. Attached to the flag shall be a cord of gold with gold tassels. The same colors shall be used in the flag, red, white and blue, as are used in the flag of the United States of America. (b) All penalties provided by the laws of this state for the misuse of the national flag are applicable to the state flag.

Question: Can you tell me what all the symbols of the Wyoming State flag represent?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
A bison on a blue field bordered in white and red. The state seal branded on the bison. The woman represents the state motto "Equal Rights" and the two men represent cattle ranchers and miners. The words "Livestock", "Mines", "Grains" and "Oil" represent Wyoming's wealth. The eagle and shield show support for the United States. The dates 1869 and 1890 tell when Wyoming organized as a territory of the United States and when it became a state.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm pretty sure I answered that question correctly so here is the next one.

What is the significance of these phrases to the State of Wyoming... "at the big river flat" and "large prairie place"?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Sorry CptRn, I was looking for the symbolism for the Wyoming State flag, not the State Seal. Maybe I worded the questioin wrong....Try again. Look under "Verna Keays Keyes"..

Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
Sorry CptRn, I was looking for the symbolism for the Wyoming State flag, not the State Seal. Maybe I worded the questioin wrong....Try again. Look under "Verna Keays Keyes"..
I found this:

Quote:
"The symbolism of the flag is as follows:
The Great Seal of the State of Wyoming is the heart of the flag.
The seal on the bison represents the truly western custom of branding. The bison was once "Monarch of the Plains."
The red border represents the Red Men, who knew and loved our country long before any of us were here; also, the blood of the pioneers who gave their lives in reclaiming the soil.
White is an emblem of purity and uprightness over Wyoming.
Blue, which is found in the bluest blue of Wyoming skies and the distant mountains, has through the ages been symbolic of fidelity, justice and virility.
And finally the red, white and blue of the flag of the State of Wyoming are the colors of the greatest flag in all the world, the Stars and Stripes of the United States of America.

"I am very grateful for this great honor and proud to have been of service to my native State of Wyoming."

15 February 1960

Verna Keays Keyes

Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks CptRn...

Welcome to the Natrona County Public Library - Casper, Wyoming

Check out this site..

Now, back to CptRn's question:

What is the significance of these phrases to the State of Wyoming... "at the big river flat" and "large prairie place"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming