Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Wyoming: housing , traffic, carpenters, finding a job.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb_wy View Post
Interesting......in another thread where Floridians are wanting to move to a WY mtn town, sunsprit is arguing nowhere in WY can the OP get a carpentry job. Might want to post this there, cuz he's just sure he knows the entire job landscape in WY.
Don't take things out of text. You quoted a statement I made. Did you look at the date? 02-29-2008, 04:54 PM That post is 2 years old. When I made that statement, Sheridan needed carpenters real bad. Right now, most carpenters are working at McDonalds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb_wy View Post
Interesting......in another thread where Floridians are wanting to move to a WY mtn town, sunsprit is arguing nowhere in WY can the OP get a carpentry job. Might want to post this there, cuz he's just sure he knows the entire job landscape in WY.
That post was two years old. Two years ago we had a different economy. A person could show up in Gillette at 7 a.m. and have a job before noon. Then the problem wasn't finding a job but a place to live.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM

207 posts, read 714,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
no town in wyoming is bad! Its the cost of living in the energy towns that is BAD. Houseing is unbelievably BAD. JOBS ARE ABUNDENT AND HIGH PAYING. SCHOOLS ARE GREAT, RECREATION IS UNLIMITED, WYO DID NOT PREPARE FOR THE ENERGY RUSH PUT UPON US AND THE RAVISHMENT OF OUR LANDSCAPE IN THESE AREAS. BRING A BIG CAMPER OR LIVE IN A OVER PRICED MOTEL KITCHENET.
I kinda disagree. I live in Wright and it seems there are more places becoming available. The energy jobs have really slowed in the last year but I'm hearing rumours of new hiring towards the end of the year. There's plenty of outdoor activities: hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing - not much for a single person here unless you're a bar fly.[edit: maybe I shoulda looked at the date on that post too]

Old 02-19-2010, 05:16 PM

49 posts, read 96,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
That post was two years old. Two years ago we had a different economy. A person could show up in Gillette at 7 a.m. and have a job before noon. Then the problem wasn't finding a job but a place to live.
You both are so right....that post was old. Sorry for the comment to an old post. I stand corrected

Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 AM

89 posts, read 253,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreekgal View Post
I moved to Sheridan from Illinois 6 months ago and people here are ruder than anywhere I have ever been in my life! My husband is from Wyoming and now I know why he's so hard to live with.
The only nice people I've met are from another state and have been here about as long as I have and don't care for it either.
Where are all those "friendly" westerners I was told about prior to this move? Have they all left?

I'm NOT trying to intentionally be mean spirited, but if this is what you think of your husband, maybe it's not JUST the people around you. You give attitude, and that is exactly what you'll get, no matter where you are.

Like someone else said, you won't get a lot of tip-toeing around an issue. People will tell you what they think, whether it's what you want, or are used to hearing or not. Life out west, and in Wyoming in particular, isn't the easiest thing going, and so people tend to be real straight forward, with no time for nonsense. There isn't much tip-toeing around the tulips, or cotton-candy fluff, reality is what is, and sometimes it's hard and cold.

You start off a conversation talking about how much it sucks and you hate it here, then you're not going to be very welcomed, unless of course you're talking to other people who think it sucks and hate it here also. Get the idea? We LOVE our State for some of the same reasons you probably hate it. Oh well. You won't find a community of nicer, down to earth, more helpful, folks ANYWHERE (in my opinion) than in Wyoming in general. But, that is a two way street. You get what you give.

When was the last time you tried to be nice and friendly yourself? Just trying to be helpful, that's all. Nothing personal.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 AM

89 posts, read 253,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So you necropost not one but two, two year old threads just so you can make offensive comments to the "nice people" of Wyoming?

The harshness of the winter climate has its positive side. All the whimpy, whiney people move some place else.

Hey hey, ain't it the truth? Love it or leave, those are the ONLY two choices to be made. And the good Cptn is right, those long, miserable, bone chilling, 8 month winters keep a lot of sun-worshipping, beach combing, "coasties" where they need to be, ON THE COAST

Since CaliGirl hated it here sooo bad, she made the right move; to move on the down the road. I for one can't stand neighborhoods where I don't know the folks next door, or fear them trying to break in steal what little I may or may not have. I can't stand mega-metro's with millions of people who are only interested in themselves, the whole "me me me" thing just doesn't sit too well for ME . I like driving 10-15 minutes and being almost completely alone on a "busy" traffic day; drive 30 minutes and I'm almost in another world. And, I HATE those damned creepy critters that typically tend to hang out in hot, humid coastal regions. And the crawling, biting 4+ legged variety aren't real welcome either .

So you see, it's ALL about perspective and what's important. I'll take Wyoming over Kalifornia ANY time, ANY day

Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Here in Star Valley we had what you call the 2 winter rule , If you made it 2 winters you would probally stay.... now we have alot of just summer homes and people.
but then winter hangs on a little longer here, was at a meeting last April , a friend had to head back to Worland to irrigate. I came home to 24 inches of winter snow pack. wanting to shear ewes before they started lambing.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 AM

218 posts, read 580,388 times
Personally, we live in Texas now. Even as a native Texan, I have to say that whenever we go to ski in Wyoming and have done a fair bit of roaming in your lovely state - the NICEST friendliest folks abound. I mean, we are impressed every year.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM

47 posts, read 109,747 times
I'm going to side with rmmoore. I'm guessing wolfcreekgal comes a place where you need to be horribly concerned about hurting someone's feelings. One of the things I LIKE about Wyoming is that everyone doesn't feel the need to sugarcoat everything, or be politically correct. Sure, if people being PC is something important to you, you're gonna hate it here. People deal straight and honest here, regardless of whether you like it or not.

Not only that, but I'm noticing on these forums that one thing that sticks in the craw of most Wyomingites as well as my own is someone that comes here griping about EVERYTHING. No, there is no Earth Child Tofu and Sprouts here. No, there's not a lot of people here. Wyoming is what it is. Try it. Maybe you'll like it. It seems some other transplants here are getting on just fine. If you don't like it, I'd surely invite you to GO AWAY.

Additionally, I feel really REALLY bad for her husband. Apparently having a low BS tolerance makes Wyo people hard to live with, maybe he shoulda left her in illinois........

Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I agree with you Yanker.

Makes me wonder about peoples perception of what they are getting into as compared to what they are coming from.

If I came from a town of 150k and tried to move into ANY town in Wyoming, I'd have trouble.

People are thought to be rude. Or is it that they are straight forward and don't sugar coat?

We don't have a Chili's where I live. Don't want one either. We have places to eat, we don't need/want anything fancy.

The needs I have, I can find right here in town, as I can find in just about any town in Wyoming. Granted, there are some that you can't. But any town of about 7k or better should have what you need. Pay close attention, I said, "NEED". Not want. But for those wants, I can run up the road a piece and get things I WANT. Certainly don't need to bring another big box store in here so a few of us can get what we want.

Most people in Wyoming grew up with little and need little. We're used to getting by on what we have available. Now days, if you can't get it down the street, you can certainly order it on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming