Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Wyoming: housing , traffic, carpenters, finding a job.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 PM

269 posts, read 829,906 times

Advertisements

no town in wyoming is bad! Its the cost of living in the energy towns that is BAD. Houseing is unbelievably BAD. JOBS ARE ABUNDENT AND HIGH PAYING. SCHOOLS ARE GREAT, RECREATION IS UNLIMITED, WYO DID NOT PREPARE FOR THE ENERGY RUSH PUT UPON US AND THE RAVISHMENT OF OUR LANDSCAPE IN THESE AREAS. BRING A BIG CAMPER OR LIVE IN A OVER PRICED MOTEL KITCHENET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 PM

59 posts, read 226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
Gillette is getting a Target??? When & where???
target is going to be built off of the butler spaeth extension just north of shoshone

Old 02-29-2008, 03:41 PM

44 posts, read 164,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The only people that have said anything negative about Gillette is the fact that there is so much going on, there's no housing available.

What did you gleen from reading that makes you think it's so bad?
well elk, i read one post where this guys kids couldnt participate in after school sports because they werent mormon. a few people commented on the drug problem, someone griped about the wind, obviously there is a housing shortage, and i also read a couple about the people being rude. i know anything is what you make if it, and with my wife and i being in the navy seabees for 5 years, we've been everywhere from alaska to africa so we can live anywhere. granted ive read alot of positive things as well. i was just wondering if they were just a few grumpy people or if alot of people agree. thanks for the help. if theres anything else i should know please respond thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 04:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman0u812 View Post
well elk, i read one post where this guys kids couldnt participate in after school sports because they werent mormon. a few people commented on the drug problem, someone griped about the wind, obviously there is a housing shortage, and i also read a couple about the people being rude. i know anything is what you make if it, and with my wife and i being in the navy seabees for 5 years, we've been everywhere from alaska to africa so we can live anywhere. granted ive read alot of positive things as well. i was just wondering if they were just a few grumpy people or if alot of people agree. thanks for the help. if theres anything else i should know please respond thanks
If kids aren't allowed to participate because of religion, then it's a parent problem. First, I think that that person had other reasons but chose to call it that. If my children weren't allowed into sports, I'd be down the administrations throat in a heart beat.

Drugs are everywhere. No getting around that. Here in Sheridan, you don't see or hear about drugs. Although I worked at the jail for a piece and yes, we had some folks in there that were caught selling. 80 inmates and about 6 of them were in for drugs.

Yes, there are places in this state that have wind. Right now, in Sheridan, the wind speed is "0". Has been all day. You get down in Hanna and you'd better anchor your pickup at night.

Depends where you want to live. The high altitude prairie we have tends to blow. But it's channeled by mountains. Here in Sheridan, Ranchester, Dayton, Wolf, Story, Banner, Buffalo, there is very little wind. Last week we had a day that we got a 32 mph gust but the wind that day was 20 or less.

I'd say you run across some frustrated people. With the housing shortage is really set some folks in ruts. There's things in the housing industry that are currently not making sense. For instance:

Contractors complain they can't get carpenters enough. They're working every day, even through the winter and can't catch up. People are living in motels because there's no houses available to rent. To purchase, well, they're here, but they are expensive. If you want a house built, your about a year out unless you pay to bring a crew in from out of state. Don't try Montana crews, or Western South Dakota crews, or Northern Colorado crews, because they are swamped too. From the time you buy property, your looking at about a year before you can get a grade stake driven into the ground. But yet, the sawmill that had 76 employee's, two weeks ago, layed off 50 of them because they say, "There's no market for studs" and that's their main ticket. So if there is such a shortage, and contractors can't keep up, how does the sawmill justify no market?????

People come here because you can get a job for $25+ in a matter of a day. But it doesn't do much good if you have to sleep in your car. So these folks move here because of the job and then find out there's no place to live. They get frustrated and start blaming everything in site.

Rudness? I've been here since 1972. Haven't run across anybody that was too bad. A few disgruntled people like I mentioned above. But the folks that come here with their eyes open, usually blend in and really enjoy themselves.

What we got in this state, is neighbors. But when a new family moves in, people are a little sceptical because a lot of folks have been burnt by the rich and elite chosing to do their thing by moving here and throwing money in every direction. A young couple getting ready to buy their first house. Qualified for a loan of $190k But the owner wants $200k. So they're negotiating. During the negotiation, a person from elsewhere, comes in and pays cash. Young couple is left out to dry. A neighbor sees that and decides to put his place up for sale for twice the price. Woops, here comes another guy to throw cash in their face. 6 months later, the young couple gives up because all the houses are now $300k.

So look through the posts, as I know you have been, but shave the bad off a little, and shave the good off a little, and you'll see a more realistic view of Wyoming.

One thing I will mention. Damn government is sticking their two cents into the state. For instance, they're going to build two new power plants in Gillette so they can create growth and developement. Huh? You already can't find a house in Gillette. Or the new plant that's going in down by Medicine Bow. Going to create hundreds of jobs. Only thing is, Medicine Bow is a town of less then 300 folks. By throwing this plant in, where are the workers going to live? All to create Growth and Developement.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-29-2008 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 05:41 PM

thank you emerald sky for your reply, i found it very helpful and i do plan to make a trip. my question is, how can the city/state keep up with all the growth? it seems like all these jobs are created but the people end up living in a "tent city" (campers and such). is there a definitive plan for the city? obviously someone had to have realized the outcome of such a boom.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
thank you emerald sky for your reply, i found it very helpful and i do plan to make a trip. my question is, how can the city/state keep up with all the growth? it seems like all these jobs are created but the people end up living in a "tent city" (campers and such). is there a definitive plan for the city? obviously someone had to have realized the outcome of such a boom.
Well, in Sheridan, our definative plan is come election time, we're going to elect a mayor that can make a definative plan. We darn sure don't have one now.

The problem is, we don't have enough carpenters now to meet the need. And we can't draw any in because they don't have a place to live once they get here.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 PM

hi elkhunter, thank you for your response, but is there that much of an influx of rich people scooping everything up? i understand the landlords are gouging, which is expected, and everyone wants their piece of the pie, but i dont see how comprimising quality of life for the almighty dollar is beneficial if you have to live in a 5th wheel. I'm just looking for somewhere to plant some roots. Is there another town to look into around the area? I am an electrician wanting to turn heavy equipment operator. thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM

What are you looking for in an area? Mountains, mountains a short ways away, prairie, areas to fish, to hunt?

Jobs are plentiful and pay well, in boom area's. But boom area's are the ones that have no housing available. There are a lot of towns that don't pay half what a boom town does. But the houses are cheaper, the rent is cheaper and the housing is available. But you'll also find those areas are where the wind blows or storms settle and dump tons of snow on your roof. No amenities. One lady on here said that she was discusted because it was over 60 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart. You know what? Shop at normal stores. Another person complained because there was no mall. Well, we have a "Main Street." And in 3 blocks, both sides of the street are lined with mom and pop, friendly stores. Course, they won't have a greeter smiling and saying "Welcome to Wal-Mart". On Main, you can get everything except groceries and a tracktor. haha

Are you a hunter or fisherman? Do you enjoy the outdoors as far as camping or hiking goes? Do your kids enjoy sports, theaters, roller rinks, baseball, softball, etc...? How about education, are you or spouse looking to catch a few college credits towards a degree or just pick up a couple classes to better understand a part of your job and promote advancement?

There's a lot of towns in Wyoming, that have 1 filling station. 1 bar. 1 very small place to get the bare necessities for groceries. And 5 or 6 churches. haha (gotta keep them sinners out of the bars.) But there's also towns that don't have any filling station, nor groceries, nor a bar.

Give us some more info and we'll try and weed out the areas you don't want.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM

471 posts, read 1,509,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hare View Post
target is going to be built off of the butler spaeth extension just north of shoshone
Oh, that gives me hope Wild Hare. And you are in the construction business, aren't you?

The thing is, I have heard lots of people talk about a Target coming soon, even a WalMart manager recently. But I've never heard of any set info on it. So I called the Chamber of Commerce, and talked with a really helpful guy there. I wish I could have talked longer and asked more questions, but needed to pick my son up from school... anyway, the jist of what he told me, sadly (self-professed non-shopper and all), is that it doesn't seem like the Target thing will happen, at the very least nothing has been negotiated. He said it was more likely that a Kohls would happen. And they are trying for an anchor store. He said about late summer they might know.

Sorry to get you all excited navyvet79... Mabye Wild Hare has more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
So look through the posts, as I know you have been, but shave the bad off a little, and shave the good off a little, and you'll see a more realistic view of Wyoming.
Good way to put it. Sometimes I think I do need to rein in my enthusiasm just a bit. (I think I could live just about anywhere happily half-glass full kind of girl.) There are of course negatives no matter where you live. I did hear a girl tell me the other day that she came home to find the cable guy lounging on her sofa, shoes off and everything, like you hear about in the news. Apparently sitting back watching the other guy in training. And another gal said they drilled a few holes in her wall in the wrong spot... So, I guess I'll keep my direct tv for now (though you don't get any local channels). See, I can balance things out... And the local gas company has a few organizational issues too... But, did I mention all the cool stuff going on at the Camplex. And the fabulous art work around the city?

Quote:
I was browsing around the city's website and found this link: http://www.ci.gillette.wy.us/about/2007%20Strategic%20Report.pdf (broken link)

It kind of gives you an idea of what the city's been working on to keep up with the growth.

Here's the city's homepage: Official Web Site of the City of Gillette, Wyoming

I guess the housing is really the big issue though. And the renting. I guess that is a negative, that some people are surely taking advantage of the situation and are pricing things way beyond what they are worth. But as the amount of homes on the market has increased, prices have been dropping. And I've heard of more reasonably priced homes being built, below $200,000. I just don't know when they'll be ready or how many there will be. Here's a link to available homes in and around Gillette:

Ourhomesite.com

Just click on "Residential Search."

Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 AM

well i love the mountains, (where i grew up), i love to fish, 4-wheel etc. if i could get a job in gillette, are the outlying areas hard to commute from? i drive about an hour now each way and im used to it, but i read where sometimes the highways get shut down because of the snow and it makes commuting all but impossible unless you're on a polaris (which i would love to do just once). how is Sheridan, Buffalo, areas like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming