Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Wyoming: housing , traffic, carpenters, finding a job.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,978 times

Advertisements

hey elkhunter (or anyone else with answers!)...
Sorry if it sounds ignorant, but I'm reading and trying to understand more of how day-to-day life in WY works...these ups and downs of mountain economy. What do you guys consider the definition of a "boom" area/town or a "boom" to be? What causes it, and how long (generally) does the "boom" last? What are some of the areas that are currently "booming"? And what areas have "boomed" and now are in a "post-boom" slump? What is gearing up to be the next "boom"? Where does a town like Buffalo fall into the above equations?

Last edited by j1n; 03-01-2008 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:32 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
When you say outlying areas they are "Out" lying areas. haha From Gillette going East, there's Moorcroft. About 28 miles on Interstate and it's only a town of 800 or so. Not likely to find much there to rent.

Going West, you come to Buffalo, it's 69 miles on Interstate, but it's a town of about 4,000. You can find rentals there, but they are costly.

Going South, you come to Wright, it's 40 miles. Population, 1300 and some change. Almost zero housing available there. last year, they were almost wiped off the map by a tornado, so they are rebuilding.

Go North and you come to, well, nothing. haha

Gillette is a boom town. It's located on the High Prairie. So wind is a factor, but not as bad as some places in the state. Within an hours drive there is Keyhole Reserviour (http://www.wyomingtourism.org/cms/d/keyhole_state_park.php - broken link). Beautiful lake area surrounded by tree covered hills. Lots of skiing, camping, swimming, fishing and hiking.

Moorcroft is also on High Prairie. Located almost straight South of Keyhole.

Buffalo is a quaint little town. Most heavy duty shopping is done in Sheridan, 32 miles away. but Buffalo is nestled up against the Big Horn Mountains. Camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, all available real close. Buffalo is not really a boom town, but it has become a way station for those in the boom industry. By that, I mean there's a lot of folks that commute from Buffalo to Gillette, or Buffalo to Sheridan. So yeah, it's kind of a boom town. But the jobs aren't right there, they're down the road a piece.

From Buffalo to Sheridan is 32 miles. There are Story,
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Big Horn located on the way. (Small towns) They have some rentals available but not a lot. Very costly. But again, located right up against the mountains.

Sheridan is also a boom town, rentals are really hard to come by. It's a town of 15,804.

Beyond Sheridan is Ranchester and Dayton. Ranchester usually has a couple of rentals, Dayton occasionally has a rental.

But Buffalo, Story, Banner, Big Horn, Sheridan, Ranchester, and Dayton are all up against the Big Horn Mountains and are pretty protected as far as weather goes. Very little wind if any at all.

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 AM

44 posts, read 164,807 times
i know rentals are far and few between but are there mobile home parks there, but if so i'm sure they're full too right?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman0u812 View Post
i know rentals are far and few between but are there mobile home parks there, but if so i'm sure they're full too right?
Sheridan has several Mobile home parks. Some of them have empty spaces. The one on the East side of town is currently adding about 20 spaces and should be ready by this summer.

If that is your train of thought, most all the mobile home parks have trailers that are currently for sale. Because people know that it's easier to by an existing trailer that's already on a lot. My son just bought one in that manner.

Can't vouche for the other towns. I've seen parks there, but never paid any attention to whether they are full or not.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM

44 posts, read 164,807 times
thanks for all the help Elkhunter, you've been very informative. i'm sure i'll have more questions down the road.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,672 times
I would not move back to Wyoming if my life depended on it. 8 months of winter. The weather is just terrible, and the winters last too long. Nice people, though.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirlAllTheWay View Post
I would not move back to Wyoming if my life depended on it. 8 months of winter. The weather is just terrible, and the winters last too long. Nice people, though.
So you necropost not one but two, two year old threads just so you can make offensive comments to the "nice people" of Wyoming?

The harshness of the winter climate has its positive side. All the whimpy, whiney people move some place else.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 83,187 times
Lol!!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,021 times
Wow CaliGrrrrrrrrrl-way to bring it back from the dead! I aint never been to Wyoming, but I soon will, come spring time. Chris LeDoux wrote and sang quite a bit of songs about how great Wyoming is. Why don't you stay over there in the California section where are the limp wrists and city folk hang out, if you don't have anything nice to say.

Apparently somewhere inside you, you still want to be in Wyoming, otherwise you wouldn't have come over here.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM

49 posts, read 96,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Contractors complain they can't get carpenters enough. They're working every day, even through the winter and can't catch up.
Interesting......in another thread where Floridians are wanting to move to a WY mtn town, sunsprit is arguing nowhere in WY can the OP get a carpentry job. Might want to post this there, cuz he's just sure he knows the entire job landscape in WY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming