Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,767 posts, read 58,209,379 times

Advertisements

Horse and hound will do you well in most of WY, especially in Cody. Should be 'paradise' for single 57 yr old gal. (who doesn't mind a bit of weather).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM

24 posts, read 40,200 times
Wow! Thanks for all the help. To answer some of your inquiries- we currently live in Minnesota so yes, used to winter driving although no mountains here!! No, I don't mind driving a couple of hours for shopping. My kids are 17, 14 and 10. We would be able to purchase a home without a loan, but jobs/living income are obviously a concern. Currently we are dairy producers, and do not have any other training or college education. So I have also been searching jobs in Wyoming- if you have any input there that would be great as well. We have always been frugal so do not need a large income to be happy. Also, I prefer the flatter sage land, but my husband likes the mountains! We do agree on the terrain outside of Yellowstone to the east, where the sage land meets mountains but was not thickly forested. High plains, desert or open mountains are great- you know, wide open spaces! I really felt too closed in when we visited the Black Hills, just wasn't my thing. As far as town size, Cody was nice in that it had what you need (walmart, groceries) but didn't seem too big, although we surely didn't drive through to see all of it so I could be wrong. You are right though, Wyoming is a friendly state!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM

89 posts, read 136,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Like a small ranching town that had a sawmill, the Move in Denist had a good bussiness, till he was found out to be one that was protesting timber sales, no bussiness as it went almost to Zero.

Lots of truth to this.
But there are generally 2 types of people moving to wyoming. The Boom people that will be here for a short time and the people fleeing other states looking for a more free place that isnt going to tax them to death like the place they left. The Boom person is just interested in the cash. They know they will leave when things turn down. However the other group is interested in their community. They tend to volulenteer for things and try to talk to the locals about the tax problems that they had back at home. They dont want to change anything. On the contrary, they want to keep things the way they are.
But there are few timber producers or other such businesses in wyoming these days. Even all the grain mills are closed. Business here is government and government influence. There are new taxes and rules on the books every day.
The fleers come here, notice the advertisements for this new tax or that new tax or the city owned daycare or swimming pool or rec center and show up at the county commisioner meeting or city council meeting and try to tell the people what this leads to. More taxes. But the people in the government survive off of this income and have no intention of stopping it or even curtailing it.
In most places if you vote against something or tell your friend that you dont agree with this of that, nothing happens. But in Wyoming if you speak up you are villenized. You are taking food form the mouths of their babies. Everyone notices. You will have no friends, no business. You will get pulled over and ticked by the cops. You will have DFS show up at your door investigating complaints about your children. They will intimidate you untill you leave.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM

774 posts, read 2,585,145 times
Then there's a third "type" of people. They are those who move here because of the quality of life, the environment, the beauty. They come with experience, skills and educations and earn positions in organizations that require those skills. They become active in the community in positive ways - involved in churches, community organizations, charities, and schools.They pay taxes; we vote; They keep an eye on your kids when you have to go somewhere or pick you up when your car lets you down. They pay taxes keep their yards up, contribute to the local economy. I have yet to be villainized by anyone other than my teenage daughter saying I'm "ruining her life" when I tell her "no" about something. lol I have agreed and disagreed with friends/neighbors. I have made my voice heard when I agreed/disagreed (publicly) with someone politically with no repercussions. Granted, we didn't come with chips on our shoulders or expecting the world to kiss our feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcolton View Post
Lots of truth to this.
But there are generally 2 types of people moving to wyoming. The Boom people that will be here for a short time and the people fleeing other states looking for a more free place that isnt going to tax them to death like the place they left. The Boom person is just interested in the cash. They know they will leave when things turn down. However the other group is interested in their community. They tend to volulenteer for things and try to talk to the locals about the tax problems that they had back at home. They dont want to change anything. On the contrary, they want to keep things the way they are.
But there are few timber producers or other such businesses in wyoming these days. Even all the grain mills are closed. Business here is government and government influence. There are new taxes and rules on the books every day.
The fleers come here, notice the advertisements for this new tax or that new tax or the city owned daycare or swimming pool or rec center and show up at the county commisioner meeting or city council meeting and try to tell the people what this leads to. More taxes. But the people in the government survive off of this income and have no intention of stopping it or even curtailing it.
In most places if you vote against something or tell your friend that you dont agree with this of that, nothing happens. But in Wyoming if you speak up you are villenized. You are taking food form the mouths of their babies. Everyone notices. You will have no friends, no business. You will get pulled over and ticked by the cops. You will have DFS show up at your door investigating complaints about your children. They will intimidate you untill you leave.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,226,113 times
Quote:
Lots of truth to this.
Wow. I think your last paragraph is WAY off base. I am a native Wyomingite who has lots of friends who have moved here from all over. I have never, not even once, had anyone tell me anything that is even remotely CLOSE to what you said. That is just plain crazy!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM

31 posts, read 52,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMumford76 View Post
Hi,
2 years ago I moved from Rhode Island to New Hampshire because I wanted to be away from the cities and to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and the outdoors. Right away I realized that New Hampshire doesn't like transplants. They refer to us as flatlanders. I have always wanted to live out west and have considered Wyoming & Montana. My question is does Wyoming welcome new people?

Also, does anyone know the status of the ground water contamination in Pavillion?
Depends on where you go on the welcoming new people thing. I was welcomed right away when I moved from South Dakota to Upton. But then I already had a job, put a child in school, got involved in the community Right Away. Coached Little League. Joined the Lodge, VFW, Shooting sports.

If you do not get involved you might as well stay where you are.

You can google ground water anywhere in the Nation. However googling groundwater for towns in Wyoming is foolish because none of them use ground water.

Almost all Town wells in Wyoming are in aquifers.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 AM

31 posts, read 52,071 times
Quote:
Lots of truth to this.
Hogwash...

Some of my best and most fun political arguments came from the five of us that sat in the Hardware store in Upton and had coffee every Saturday Morning and I consider every single one of them my friend. A couple Ranchers, a Retiree and two of us 'town folk' with kids in school. I love negative nonsense like this.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM

15 posts, read 27,099 times
Cody would be a great choice. More open minded than many...unless you live in Jackson Hole. I love Cody..near the most beautiful place on earth..Sunlight Basin. I grew up in Worland..mostly. I don't recommend it...although it is near gorgeous mountains. I had a friend who lived in Riverton..and she really liked it too. Love the Riverton/Lander area. But still...Cody. I live in Northern CA now but I miss the wide open spaces of Wyoming.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 PM

Of course, larger cities like Casper, Laramie (due to U of Wyoming) and Cheyenne would have a larger gay community and Cheyenne is close to Ft. Collins and Denver! Why do you want to move to Wyoming?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 PM

Lovell???? no way. Only if you are Mormon. I'd say Cody, Sheridan, Powell, and Riverton or Lander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming