Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,269 times

Advertisements

Hi,
2 years ago I moved from Rhode Island to New Hampshire because I wanted to be away from the cities and to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and the outdoors. Right away I realized that New Hampshire doesn't like transplants. They refer to us as flatlanders. I have always wanted to live out west and have considered Wyoming & Montana. My question is does Wyoming welcome new people?

Also, does anyone know the status of the ground water contamination in Pavillion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Wyoming has lots of transplants, so they should be welcoming to others like themselves. The town I live in has been a boom (and bust) town since its incorporation. It's usually grown in spurts. When I moved here it had just grown from roughly 5,000 to 7,500 in the 70's census. It's now 30,000+. Not many of those are natives, as just like in any small town, the youth move away to spread their wings.

But for the most part our natives are the friendly kind. One of the few true natives once asked me, "How long have you lived here now, Newk?" When I told him it had been a couple years he responded that two years in (this town) made me a native. I liked that. Been here 42 years now.

The only time transplants aren't welcome is if the move in knowing more than the rest of the populace. If you want things done like they're done in RI, stay there. If you move to Wyoming because you like the lifestyle, you'll be welcomed with open arms and hearts almost anywhere in the state. At least that's what I've found.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Ground water contamination in Pavillion? It depends on who and when you talk about it. They have never proven that it came from fracking wells. But they also haven't proven it didn't. Wyoming has been fracking wells for years and it's a very safe method of extracting oil or gas.

My experience has been that Wyoming is very friendly to outsiders as long as they don't bring a lot of baggage with them. What I mean by that is the best method of being rejected by neighbors is to tell them their state is messed up and they need to do it like you did back home. The response will be, if it was so good back home, why'd you leave?

I haven't seen any problems with outsiders because no matter where you go, chances are that most of the people there were also outsiders at one time. Of course, you always run into the people that moved here from elsewhere and now they want to shut the gate so nobody else will move here.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ground water contamination in Pavillion? It depends on who and when you talk about it. They have never proven that it came from fracking wells. But they also haven't proven it didn't. Wyoming has been fracking wells for years and it's a very safe method of extracting oil or gas.

My experience has been that Wyoming is very friendly to outsiders as long as they don't bring a lot of baggage with them. What I mean by that is the best method of being rejected by neighbors is to tell them their state is messed up and they need to do it like you did back home. The response will be, if it was so good back home, why'd you leave?

I haven't seen any problems with outsiders because no matter where you go, chances are that most of the people there were also outsiders at one time. Of course, you always run into the people that moved here from elsewhere and now they want to shut the gate so nobody else will move here.
Like a small ranching town that had a sawmill, the Move in Denist had a good bussiness, till he was found out to be one that was protesting timber sales, no bussiness as it went almost to Zero.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 26,922 times
Evanston, WY. It's a beautiful dinky little town 45 minutes from Salt Lake City, and my parents loved it.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaurora View Post
I find that Wyoming has a particular type of judgmental attitude toward anything unfamiliar or "newfangled" in the geezer sense of usage. They'd probably accept you as long as you defer to their biases and preconceptions but if you get all fancy-pants they'll be suspicious of you and you'll never be let in to their social circle. It's likely some kind of hold-over survival tactic of the frontier.

In general Wyoming's public water supply is so-so in quality; your specifics I don't know.
I've been here for over ten years and never encountered that sort of attitude here. People are current in technology of all sorts and gladly accept it. A good example here is medical care. Another would be the prevalence of e-readers I've noticed here. Folks certainly aren't behind the times with the guns they carry. I've actually seen posts asking whether people use the internet here, or better yet, if it's available. How on earth do these people think we're posting on a forum? Smoke signals with a special modem and translation device on the other end?

Becoming a member of a social circle is more than that whether it's Wyoming or Tierra del Fuego. It's whether you're a pleasant and interesting person as well as someone with compatible interests. I'd never fit with people who talk about sports all of the time or people who bash the free enterprise system. Like most other people here I become aggravated by those who attack Wyoming and perseverate on what it should be. My attitude is that if they liked it so much where they lived before they should have stayed there. I've asked a few why they didn't.

Water's a matter of taste. I spent five years on Evanston city water and hated it. Cody water is decent but I'm on a high iron well so I drink bottled.

In general this is a very live and let live state. I don't think you'd make many friends if you kept up a hard sell on some brand of religion; I don't believe a Marxist would have many friends either. Some people here actually did vote for Obama but not many whom I've encountered.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM

293 posts, read 563,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMumford76 View Post
Hi,
2 years ago I moved from Rhode Island to New Hampshire because I wanted to be away from the cities and to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and the outdoors. Right away I realized that New Hampshire doesn't like transplants. They refer to us as flatlanders. I have always wanted to live out west and have considered Wyoming & Montana. My question is does Wyoming welcome new people?

Also, does anyone know the status of the ground water contamination in Pavillion?
Where about in RI? I grew up there and have been in WY for the past 2 1/2 years. I think you're going to find that there are a lot of other transplants in WY, who of course tend to be welcoming to fellow transplants. As far as locals, you're going to find some who are very nice and others who are a bit colder. I've had far more positive experiences than negative, however. As with anybody, I think as long as you avoid 'hot button' issues like politics and religion, you should be ok.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM

47 posts, read 65,882 times
I am a 57 single lady with a dog. I was wondering if you all could tell me about single's out there. I am an out going person who is not a party animal..I like outdoors in the spring and summer and have a vast love of nature and land in general. I am in the health care field and know I can gain employment anywhere. I have been looking at the Cody area. What is it like for a lady who is single in the area of Cody. I am not the bar-fly kind of lady. More horse and hound.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicotrader View Post
I am a 57 single lady with a dog. I was wondering if you all could tell me about single's out there. I am an out going person who is not a party animal..I like outdoors in the spring and summer and have a vast love of nature and land in general. I am in the health care field and know I can gain employment anywhere. I have been looking at the Cody area. What is it like for a lady who is single in the area of Cody. I am not the bar-fly kind of lady. More horse and hound.
I live in Cody and am in your general age group. Although I am married, I am involved in several community organizations that have several single women in them. One that is really fun is the Newcomers Club. They have a great variety of activities throughout the month. There are other things to get involved in, depending on your interests. I have several single female friends who do just fine in Cody.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I am a single female in Wyoming about your age. I stay very busy with both work and socially. I'm active everywhere except the southwestern part of the state and have worked there in the past.

I don't find any obstacles to being involved with whatever interests me. I also have single (and married) friends in Cody and the surrounding area. They love it there. Lots to do if you are community minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming