Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 PM

5 posts, read 38,546 times

Advertisements

I've done my research and I'm currently thinking of relocating and Wyoming is on my list of possible places. I'm an African American female with a Hispanic husband. It doesn't seem to be that many African American or Hispanics in the state. I know that the Census Bureau hasn't surveyed everyone in the entire state. We want to just get out of the Big City and just move somewhere nice and quiet with beautiful scenery. Is Wyoming the best place to move to since we're a mixed couple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
I'm moving to Laramie in two weeks to complete my degree. I've never witnessed any type of overt racism or hostility toward anyone in Wyoming, but I've only visited up until this point.

I think folks in Wyoming tend to take stock of a person by the heart of them, not by their outward appearance, however, that's my opinion.

You might look at Laramie. Laramie is a college town and as such, may be a bit more diverse than some of the small oil and gas towns.

Wyoming is a beautiful state. You could do much worse!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but this area of the country ... at least the Eastern Plains area of Wyoming ... has a large and long established heritage of Hispanic population.

Much fewer in number is the African American population, but those who are here are generally well regarded as friends and neighbors. Many are retired military who have chosen to stay here to enjoy the outdoors and privacy and pursue that second career until full retirement.

As posted on this forum so many times ... it's not your race or religion that matters around here. It's the attitude you bring to the place and how willing your are to be a valued part of the community. Keep your property nice, keep your livestock well cared for, help your neighbors when they need help in bad weather or with livestock ... and expect the same from all your neighbors when the need arises. Wave when you pass each other on the county roads.

What you have is not who you are .... people here can spot a phony in a heartbeat.

If you come here seeking a "handout", you'll have a problem in Wyoming.

If you come here to contribute to the workforce and be an asset to the community, you'll be very welcome. There's a long history, too, of well known African American doctors, veternarians, and other professionals that were widely respected and admired here. (There's many reasons why ... all the way out here in the Wyoming ... We have a Lincoln Memorial).

Is Wyoming the best place for you to move as a mixed couple? Only you can make that determination for yourselves. Why don't you come out here for a vacation and check out the jobs, housing, and recreation opportunities that await you?

It's a very different lifestyle. You must be willing to live without the amenities of a big city close by, survive in harsh weather extremes, and be somewhat self-sufficient and independent. Be aware that a blue-collar wage may not be able to afford a lot of house here ... the costs are relatively low but the wages are low for a lot of jobs, too.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:35 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
In wyoming it is not really your race that is a factor. Most people there don't look at that. In wyoming it is how you act. If you act like a good person. You will be treated the same. If you act like a low life or too uppity (above everyone esle) you will get treated as the same. I have worked with all races of people and had friends and seen others at public functions, ect. I treated them as they treated me.
I will add, the only place I encountered anything like racisium. Was/is in riverton,wyo. Maybe it is better now. I haven't been there in a while. That was in the 80's and 90's against the indians.
But now the indians are alittle more savy when it comes to dealing with the whites. They now have businesses, they are policeing themselves better, and are alittle more represented in the communities as money is something the white business owners finally recognize as coming from them.
The biggest problem I saw when I lived there and I hear it is still a problem. Is when people come in there from out of state and think. Because they have a few bucks in the bank they can run over the locals with their idea of how things should be. Well that sparks fights, physically, politically, monetarilly. In the community.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 AM

362 posts, read 918,976 times
I lived in Cheyenne from '84-'88. During that time I played hoops in a city league. I was the only white guy on the team. I can honestly say that I never looked at my teammates/friends as black, blue, green, whatever, we were all buddies. I never saw any race issues in my time there nor did I hear of any.

My thoughts are this, if you're an butt-hole(politically correct) it does not matter what color of skin you have, you're simply a butt-hole.

I believe of you treat people the way you want to be treated you will be just fine no matter where you live.

By the way, I am moving back to Cheyenne in 5 days! I am really looking forward to getting out of CA and the insanity that goes with it.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
I lived in Cheyenne from '84-'88. During that time I played hoops in a city league. I was the only white guy on the team. I can honestly say that I never looked at my teammates/friends as black, blue, green, whatever, we were all buddies. I never saw any race issues in my time there nor did I hear of any.

My thoughts are this, if you're an butt-hole(politically correct) it does not matter what color of skin you have, you're simply a butt-hole.

I believe of you treat people the way you want to be treated you will be just fine no matter where you live.

By the way, I am moving back to Cheyenne in 5 days! I am really looking forward to getting out of CA and the insanity that goes with it.
I couldn't agree more.

I'm leaving the insanity of Southern CA in exactly two weeks and I'm just counting down the days!

The traffic is unbelievably preposterous here. The air is brown. There are too many people, the taxes are ludicrous, the cost of living and housing are even worse, and Los Angeles, the bright, shining city of my youth has turned into a third world cesspool. I can't wait to get out.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM

362 posts, read 918,976 times
I hear that! I feel your pain! I grew up in inner-city Pittsburgh. It was rough but it was great all the same. Good, solid, down-to-earth people in The Burgh. We are a USAF couple and that is why we are currently in CA.(Vacaville) The people and all the other things you mentioned are NOT for me. CA is a wonderfully diverse state but holy-moly for me there are more negatives than positives when it comes to living here.

Wyoming and Cheyenne got in my blood and I am blessed to be moving back. This time I plan on staying put.

Good luck on your move to Laramie and with school. Enjoy!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 33,466 times
I live in Rock Springs. I don't know about the rest of the state, but our white/Hispanic ratio is about equal, with an ever growing population of African Americans. It is hard to find housing here. But besides that, this could be the place for you.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:34 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
I too live in Rock Springs, while there are hispanics here, the number is nothing compared to Cheyenne and Laramie. There are AA's here, most of which I see are wearing haliburton or some other oil or gas company logo, but they are here. There are other threads with info about Rock Springs, you can go in and search them if your interested in this area. I would personally recommend somewhere else, there are much nicer "communities" in Wyoming than RS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming