Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
My uncle, who worked on the Two Dot ranch when he was younger, told me the snow never gets too deep in Cody because the wind blows it into Colorado.
That's pretty funny - the winter storm winds come up out of the SW - meaning it comes from Colo & Utah - so it ends up in Montana and Canada!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
During my stay in Red Lodge, Montana one day my friend and I drove to Powell then on to Cody. The reason for visiting Powell was for me to find some information about a Great Aunt I had visited in Powell way back in 1959. We ended up in the Pioneer or Homesteader Museum. It is a wonderful place! Full of neat stuff. Anyway, I spoke to the director/curator and she was very helpful. She found all sorts of info about my Great Aunt & Uncle. We even pulled out a 1954 phone directory to locate the address of my relatives. She urged me to go to the house, knock on the door and visit. I did so. The elderly couple who were living in the home that so long ago had belonged to my relatives, were so nice! After takiing a few photos of the exterior of the house, we went back to town (about 3 blocks from where we were) and walked into the local drugstore to eat at the soda fountain. By this time it was 2:45 pm and the soda fountain was closed. Rats! We then drove on to Cody to visit the Buffalo Bill Cody Historical museum. What a neat place! So this was the extent of my visit to Powell. It had lots of trees, seemed very clean and people were extremely friendly. I hope to return soon and spend some more time in this area. The visit was on August 5, 2010.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
The Proud Cut serves some of the best lunches I've had in Wyoming. When you read an article in one of the "cowboy" magazines about western steakhouses, Cassies usually gets mentioned but the "Irma" hotel dining room is very good also. I was in a hunting camp once up on the South Fork hanging on for dear life when we heard on the radio they were clocking the wind at 126 miles an hour at the Cody airport. If I were a single guy it would be Cody for sure. My uncle, who worked on the Two Dot ranch when he was younger, told me the snow never gets too deep in Cody because the wind blows it into Colorado.
Actually I have it on good authority (ElkHunter) that the snow in Wyoming just blows around until it wears out.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Actually I have it on good authority (ElkHunter) that the snow in Wyoming just blows around until it wears out.
Actually, that is only East of the Divide that the snow don't melt, it just blows around until it wears out.

West of the Divide, apparently, it comes in from the Northern Pacific and some how sweeps far down South so it can blow to the North again.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
was going to say here on the Idaho line most our storms come from the west. really nasty ones come in from the east but very far between....

Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
During my stay in Red Lodge, Montana one day my friend and I drove to Powell then on to Cody. The reason for visiting Powell was for me to find some information about a Great Aunt I had visited in Powell way back in 1959. We ended up in the Pioneer or Homesteader Museum. It is a wonderful place! Full of neat stuff. Anyway, I spoke to the director/curator and she was very helpful. She found all sorts of info about my Great Aunt & Uncle. We even pulled out a 1954 phone directory to locate the address of my relatives. She urged me to go to the house, knock on the door and visit. I did so. The elderly couple who were living in the home that so long ago had belonged to my relatives, were so nice! After takiing a few photos of the exterior of the house, we went back to town (about 3 blocks from where we were) and walked into the local drugstore to eat at the soda fountain. By this time it was 2:45 pm and the soda fountain was closed. Rats! We then drove on to Cody to visit the Buffalo Bill Cody Historical museum. What a neat place! So this was the extent of my visit to Powell. It had lots of trees, seemed very clean and people were extremely friendly. I hope to return soon and spend some more time in this area. The visit was on August 5, 2010.
I'm goin' mid September 2011, check it out 'fer meself I guess! It'll be a 2700 mile round trip from Sutherlin,OR., to Grangeville ID., Salmon, Driggs/Tetonia, Powell, Billings Spokane, WA., Yakima, Bend then back home............just me and the wife.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
I'm goin' mid September 2011, check it out 'fer meself I guess! It'll be a 2700 mile round trip from Sutherlin,OR., to Grangeville ID., Salmon, Driggs/Tetonia, Powell, Billings Spokane, WA., Yakima, Bend then back home............just me and the wife.
Sounds good! You really should drive the few miles to Cody, WY and visit the Buffalo Bill Historical Center - an incredible museum. I could spend weeks in that place!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Sounds good! You really should drive the few miles to Cody, WY and visit the Buffalo Bill Historical Center - an incredible museum. I could spend weeks in that place!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes............gonna!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,693 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
BTDT route quite a few times, but I will say my travel partner declared we will NEVER take the route from ID Falls to Salmon, ID again, way too boring and ugly (even tho we cross WY on I-80 numerous times (I try to do it at night to avoid burning daylight). Driving by moonlight can be a great way to see the prairie)

You might want to consider a faster and shorter route from Boise through Craters of the Moon (worth seeing, but not much else out there).

Last loop through the area, I really enjoyed skipping Grangeville and going through Orofino, Kendrick, Moscow. (But I'm fond of the Palouse).

While in WY, Try fitting in a trip across the Beartooth Highway, it is one of my favorites.
Beartooth All American Road - Cooke City Montana, Cody Wyoming, Red Lodge Montana
Beartooth Highway

BTW... I love Powell too. Cody I can do without, but it is OK to visit.

Was camping in Powell on my sojourn to bury dad (he was riding along from WA > NE ). It was mid Sept and there was a group serving a pancake breakfast in the park. It was great to wake-up to someone else's cooking and they offered free servings. (Dad wasn't eat'n much).

Ran across a cattle drive up above Burgess Jct on 14a (another favorite) so we shared breakfast (again) with them. I didn't bother to tell them what I was haulin' in my utility Trailer... Didn't want to cause a 'stampede'

Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTDT route quite a few times, but I will say my travel partner declared we will NEVER take the route from ID Falls to Salmon, ID again, way too boring and ugly (even tho we cross WY on I-80 numerous times (I try to do it at night to avoid burning daylight). Driving by moonlight can be a great way to see the prairie)

You might want to consider a faster and shorter route from Boise through Craters of the Moon (worth seeing, but not much else out there).

Last loop through the area, I really enjoyed skipping Grangeville and going through Orofino, Kendrick, Moscow. (But I'm fond of the Palouse).

While in WY, Try fitting in a trip across the Beartooth Highway, it is one of my favorites.
Beartooth All American Road - Cooke City Montana, Cody Wyoming, Red Lodge Montana
Beartooth Highway

BTW... I love Powell too. Cody I can do without, but it is OK to visit.

Was camping in Powell on my sojourn to bury dad (he was riding along from WA > NE ). It was mid Sept and there was a group serving a pancake breakfast in the park. It was great to wake-up to someone else's cooking and they offered free servings. (Dad wasn't eat'n much).

Ran across a cattle drive up above Burgess Jct on 14a (another favorite) so we shared breakfast (again) with them. I didn't bother to tell them what I was haulin' in my utility Trailer... Didn't want to cause a 'stampede'
You're so funny! This is off the subject, but my mom had always hated my sister's car (mom called it a "sports car" because it was low to the ground) as she had trouble getting in & out of it. When my sister picked up my mom's ashes at the mortuary she took the box, strapped it into the seatbelt, and said "mom, this is the LAST time you have to ride in this car!". I know we miss our parents deeply, but it is nice to laugh about things even in bad situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming