Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

That spelling of speach [sic] is always a clue you are dealing with an illiterate.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default What a wonderful world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That spelling of speach [sic] is always a clue you are dealing with an illiterate.
Well, yes & no. Yah, that spelling won't fly now in normal conversation nor writing. But if you look @ the root of speech - see Online Etymology Dictionary

"Old English spæc "act of speaking; power of speaking; manner of speaking; statement, discourse, narrative, formal utterance; language," variant of spræc, from Proto-Germanic *sprek-, *spek- (source also of Danish sprog, Old Saxon spraca, Old Frisian spreke, Dutch spraak, Old High German sprahha, German Sprache "speech;" see speak (v.))"

So it's interesting to see that the typo (I assume) echoes old developments. If the writer could do this @ will - & not by accident - he or she could be an expert in Old English. N. Chomsky for one would argue that coming up with familiar-looking forms is indicative of deep structure in the language, which native speakers learn subconsciously.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Black Collage Professor
I have always preferred collages that are colorful, and that have contrast. Somehow, a black collage just doesn't seem as if it would have much visual appeal.

Then again...What the heck do I know?
After all, I hadn't previously been aware that there are apparently professors who specialize in assembling achromatic, light-absorbing collages.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My daughter wants her dog to have one liter of puppies
Puppies only come in quarts. They haven't gone metric yet.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Who let the dogs loose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Puppies only come in quarts. They haven't gone metric yet.
Pints & - especially beloved - half-pints!

& + rep for you.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Puppies... haven't gone metric yet.
You are correct!
When I ask my dog if he want to go to the yard, he becomes very excited, and he heads for the back door.
By contrast, if I ask him if he wants to go to the meter, he shows no interest.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:
Well, yes & no. Yah, that spelling won't fly now in normal conversation nor writing. But if you look @ the root of speech - see Online Etymology Dictionary

"Old English spæc "act of speaking; power of speaking; manner of speaking; statement, discourse, narrative, formal utterance; language," variant of spræc, from Proto-Germanic *sprek-, *spek- (source also of Danish sprog, Old Saxon spraca, Old Frisian spreke, Dutch spraak, Old High German sprahha, German Sprache "speech;" see speak (v.))"

So it's interesting to see that the typo (I assume) echoes old developments. If the writer could do this @ will - & not by accident - he or she could be an expert in Old English. N. Chomsky for one would argue that coming up with familiar-looking forms is indicative of deep structure in the language, which native speakers learn subconsciously.
In some cases the use of the incorrect spelling speach has come from people I know, people who have high school degrees and should know better.

One of these same friends always pronounces the word moot as "moat." He uses the word correctly otherwise, and ignores me when I correct him and continues to pronounce it incorrectly.

I've pretty much given up trying to correct people in real life. (As opposed to forums which are not real life.) Mostly I just think, What an illiterate!.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Default Sic transit gloria mundi

Quote:

One of these same friends always pronounces the word moot as "moat." He uses the word correctly otherwise, and ignores me when I correct him and continues to pronounce it incorrectly.

I've pretty much given up trying to correct people in real life. (As opposed to forums which are not real life.) Mostly I just think, What an illiterate!.
& how does he pronounce moat? Does his shift follow Grimm's Law, or is it random?

Yah, we watch Jeopardy, & it surprises me that anything that happened before about 1950 CE is treated as if it were ancient history. I don't think we can expect the same prescriptive English syntax & grammar we used to get from public education K-12 anymore. In fact, prescriptive anything seems to have gone overboard or MIA, victim no doubt of road rage & other spontaneous outbursts that we read about in the local newspaper too often these days.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:44 PM

I have seen many bumpers sticker's & other thing's where God is my copilot, but the best I have seen was on a church sign that said if God is your copilot change seat's.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, we watch Jeopardy, & it surprises me that anything that happened before about 1950 CE is treated as if it were ancient history.
Part of my nightly routine is watching Jeopardy, and I am proud to say that I am able get the Final Jeopardy answer correct about 80% of the time. However, on last night's show, during Double Jeopardy, their question gurus really screwed-up with the answer that they accepted to the question regarding Blue Laws in NJ's Bergen County.

I knew at the time that the accepted answer was wrong, and a news article published today confirms that it was wrong:
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2017/06/countys_confusing_law_on_sunday_shopping_made_jeop ardy.html#incart_river_home

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing