Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,703,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, I don't know what's going on with the MSM & near-MSM media.
I don't want to go off-topic, but I just had to respond to this. Unfortunately, it's not just the MSM. I worked for almost 30 years for a very prestigious company in its field (engineering). A large part of my job was proofreading reports, proposals, letters of interest, and general correspondence. The spelling and English bordered on atrocious. Well, the company was sold and the first order of business was to let the older employees go, so I went. I shudder to think of the quality of the company's written words that are going out to clients now, and how the company is being perceived because of poorly-written communications. No one took my place...the engineers now type and send out written communications themselves.

I suppose correct spelling and grammar are not valued any longer. It's sad.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,832,152 times
He's not president yet u idiot Obama is still and he has tons of time to campaign for Hillary appearanly

I don't have no symmpathy for hitlery or none of her supporter's.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:52 PM

12,440 posts, read 14,985,949 times
"...why isent it wide spread..."

Contractions? We don't need no stinkin' contractions.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:08 PM

4,807 posts, read 2,840,099 times
Default Sic transit gloria mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't want to go off-topic, but I just had to respond to this. Unfortunately, it's not just the MSM. I worked for almost 30 years for a very prestigious company in its field (engineering). A large part of my job was proofreading reports, proposals, letters of interest, and general correspondence. The spelling and English bordered on atrocious. Well, the company was sold and the first order of business was to let the older employees go, so I went. I shudder to think of the quality of the company's written words that are going out to clients now, and how the company is being perceived because of poorly-written communications. No one took my place...the engineers now type and send out written communications themselves.

I suppose correct spelling and grammar are not valued any longer. It's sad.
Just so. I did similar work in the education field - it was amazing how many & varied grammatical errors & errors of fact - the wrong day of the week for a given date, for instance - could be committed. & betting on engineers' writing skills? That's more like betting that in the general chaos that has overcome print literacy, one more battered hulk won't be noticed amidst the elephant graveyard. Those of us who know better - or @ least pay attention to these little telltales - know where the bodies are buried. & sometimes they're simply abandoned, mute testimony to a lack of human ceremony.

& so it goes.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM

37,398 posts, read 41,705,843 times
If he was unable to adhear to the school policy, he should have gone elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM

19,234 posts, read 25,581,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Just so. I did similar work in the education field - it was amazing how many & varied grammatical errors & errors of fact - the wrong day of the week for a given date, for instance - could be committed.
Even though my job description in the field of Secondary Education did not include proofreading the work of others, it seemed that--by default--I thrust myself into that role with some frequency. Perhaps the most memorable example had to do with a form that the school district had apparently been using for many years.

This was the form that Home Instructors would use to report the academic and attitude grades for their home-bound students. When I finally got to see one of these forms, I immediately noticed that "attitude" was spelled as "attidtude".

I placed a phone call to the appropriate department, and told the chief department clerk that "attitude" was misspelled on their form, and her response was, "Are you SURE that this isn't the correct spelling?". I told her that I would hang on while she consulted her dictionary, and after a few minutes she returned and conceded that I was correct about that misspelling. She then added, "I just ordered five hundred of these forms from the printing office, so you won't see a correction until we have used-up that new batch".

It took well over 1 year before they corrected that spelling error, and during that time not even one home instructor nor even one parent of a home-bound student mentioned to me that they had observed that mistake.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM

7,270 posts, read 4,951,526 times
From another CD forum: I want a new leash on life.

Lol Me too! This one I wear all the time doesn't match any of my clothes! And the one I use for my dog is nicer!

Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM

19,234 posts, read 25,581,824 times
When I was young drug's were just coming on the scene. Or at leat my group.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 PM

4,807 posts, read 2,840,099 times
Default Doctor, doctor, give me the news ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I was young drug's were just coming on the scene. Or at leat my group.

Well, sure. But drug's what were just making the scene? When I see a possessive, I expect to see a possession in close proximity.

& leat! Well, alright, baby! Reet, reet!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,912,678 times
I hate the dumbing down of phrases so that the uneducated can understand.

I knew the meaning of "wind chill" when I was seven years old.

Now all our local news channels have ditched wind chill in favor of "feels like."

Meteorologist: "The current temperature is seven degrees but the "feels like" temperature is negative ten."

How can the meteorologist even say "feels like" without rolling his eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing