Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 11:24 AM

12,061 posts, read 8,464,342 times

Advertisements

Flaunt/flout confusion.

Just heard a state Senator say something about his fellow legislators and that, if they don't like a law they ignore it.
"They openly flaunt the law."

This idiot gets to take $90.00 lunch breaks on my taxes?

Old 02-13-2016, 12:30 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,811,899 times
Default Coming up, the precision lawn chair drill team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Flaunt/flout confusion.

... if they don't like a law they ignore it.
"They openly flaunt the law."

Yep, nice distinctions are being lost as we go further into the electronic age. You would think that spellcheckers, syntax checkers & etc. would clean up a lot of this stuff, but they don't run automatically. You have to invoke the functions, & if you think everything's OK, you don't have any reason to do so. Other than a concern to get things right.

Yah, adding to the confusion, lots of people seem to think that a flout is something you cover in flowers & cute figures, & run in a parade. Go figure.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:53 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,413,791 times
Quote:
And it sounds like you have some fairly gentile gangsters around your patch
I don't put much trust in spellcheck. The OP returned to the above thread and said it was spell-checking that did it in the first place..

Old 02-13-2016, 02:21 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,460,081 times
Quote:
"And it sounds like you have some fairly gentile gangsters around your patch"

Then Nonchalance posted the above, adding:
"I don't put much trust in spellcheck. The OP returned to the above thread and said it was spell-checking that did it in the first place.."

I chime in with this:
Someone once wrote a recommendation letter for me saying I had a gentile sense of humor. He was head of a department at a university. I wish I could say he was a Jew but he wasn't.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:58 PM

12,061 posts, read 8,464,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
On the radio yesterday, I heard a very "vocal fry" inflicted young woman say, "Join BlahDeeBlah and myself at Yada Yada." What ever happened to saying, "Join BlahDeeBlah and me?" How has myself replaced me?
It drives me bonkers. (It drives MYSELF bonkers?) They think they sound "fancier" but it just sounds ridiculous.
Please allow myself to introduce... myself.
I'm surprised that they knew enough to courteously place themselves in second place. Most young speakers now say, "ME and BlahdeBlah."

The hair stands up on the back of my neck and I grit my teeth! I have the same response to that simpering vocal fry. When did that get started and who are they emulating?

The other night we had a movie on the player during which a lot of that affected speech was going on and about ten minutes in my adult son said, "They should take these people out and shoot them." I knew exactly what he meant. (Don't misunderstand - he's really a gentile man, though.)

I've also probably mentioned the horrible mispronunciations of place names I hear on the radio. Good grief, if you're going to be moving somewhere new and speaking on the radio at least take time before the broadcast to learn the local pronunciation. Some of us don't even recognize where you're talking about.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:40 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,413,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm surprised that they knew enough to courteously place themselves in second place. Most young speakers now say, "ME and BlahdeBlah."

The hair stands up on the back of my neck and I grit my teeth! I have the same response to that simpering vocal fry. When did that get started and who are they emulating?

The other night we had a movie on the player during which a lot of that affected speech was going on and about ten minutes in my adult son said, "They should take these people out and shoot them." I knew exactly what he meant. (Don't misunderstand - he's really a gentile man, though.)

I've also probably mentioned the horrible mispronunciations of place names I hear on the radio. Good grief, if you're going to be moving somewhere new and speaking on the radio at least take time before the broadcast to learn the local pronunciation. Some of us don't even recognize where you're talking about.

Especially if you are a girl like I. Thanks ever so!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,664,978 times
What the Bernie Sanders phonominum tells us...

Old 02-13-2016, 05:31 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,811,899 times
Default Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Quote:
"And it sounds like you have some fairly gentile gangsters around your patch"

Then Nonchalance posted the above, adding:
"I don't put much trust in spellcheck. The OP returned to the above thread and said it was spell-checking that did it in the first place.."

Sure. That's why I mentioned syntax checkers, & any other analytical tools you can run against your document. Every set of eyes helps - but yes, as the author of the piece, the writer has the ultimate responsibility for what goes out over his/her name.

So - I want to read through anything I post before I hit enter. You can do it afterwards, of course. Sometimes you can still correct it, sometimes not. I tend to read through before posting - & sometimes even then I still have to make corrections after the fact.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:19 PM

37,167 posts, read 41,364,782 times
At least she got a lot right.

Me and my bf talked a lot about it ...

Old 02-14-2016, 07:17 AM

19,157 posts, read 25,396,950 times
"What's your ideal town to raise well around kid?"

I think that it is best to keep kids away from wells, but I might be in the minority with that opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.