Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 04:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,716,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'll never forget the day I learned how to pronounce viaduct.
I'll never forget the day I learned how to pronounce 'ennui'. I had read that word in numerous books, and could get the meaning from the context, but never looked it up in a dictionary for the pronunciation.

I used to pronounce it exactly as it's spelled! (en' you eye)

I was a little embarrassed when it was pointed out, but I was grateful for the correction.
We can always learn something!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:46 AM

34,399 posts, read 20,668,288 times
YO-semite! I laughed when I heard Yo-SEM-ite pronounced that way.

Here is one of my favorite type of posts:

Quote:
I will tell you why its the people that work at the police department and the court house they don't do there job take for instance a womans daughter was beat and left for dead she could not get the police to put these people in jail in fact she was told by the secretary that the police chief was out of state 3 min later he walks in the door the people that are elected don't care about protecting the public they care about the city of ****** maing all the money they can get you are fined if u park on the grass you don't want to moveto this town and lord help us if this lady that is running for district attorany gets the job she is very rude and does not treat people with respect [

WOW! Take a breath already!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 AM

33,113 posts, read 36,908,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Sorry, I'm a dummy, I never knew unkempt was a word......
That's OK. Everyone has a bad hair day from time to time.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:12 AM

19,242 posts, read 25,647,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
YO-semite! I laughed when I heard Yo-SEM-ite pronounced that way.
In my 10th grade English class, I can recall a girl hesitating and stumbling over the word "Yosemite" in something that she was reading aloud. Our teacher, Mrs. Forrester, helped out by telling her, "It's pronounced Yose-might, my dear".

That incident was just one of many that proved to me that Mrs. Forrester was...let's just say...not a particularly well-educated person.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:19 AM

89,248 posts, read 86,099,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'll never forget the day I learned how to pronounce 'ennui'. I had read that word in numerous books, and could get the meaning from the context, but never looked it up in a dictionary for the pronunciation.

I used to pronounce it exactly as it's spelled! (en' you eye)

I was a little embarrassed when it was pointed out, but I was grateful for the correction.
We can always learn something!
That's one of those words that I never used, because although I'd seen them in print, I'd never heard anyone use them. Another was "ad infinitum". One day I was driving an octogenarian lady somewhere. She had been a schoolteacher for 35 years, and she used ad infinitum. I was so excited because now I knew how to say it.

When I was a kid, I read a story about a man in Mexico who is trying to sleep but is bothered by a mosquito. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what a "moss quitto" was supposed to be. I think I ended up saying the word a few times and all of a sudden a light came on in my head. LOL. Funny that I remember that.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM

10,104 posts, read 18,267,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
From the first post of a still-open thread:

===
Should Teachers Disallow students to use the restroom's during class? I've seen kids pee on themselves because teacher's tell them no, so what's your opinion?
===

I am really curious: why do so many people make errors like these with simple plurals? (Or should I write, "make error's like these with simple plural's"? )

I see this mistake all the time. The rule to make a plural is so simple, so I just can't figure out why so many missed class that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

May I ask that you state this simple rule?
Um, in what I quoted, the "simple rule" is to simply add an "s" -- as I am sure you know, Rainroosty. I guess I should have been more specific and written, "The rule in these cases to make a plural is so simple ..." or "The general rule to make a plural is so simple ..."

Quote:
EASY! Simply add an s, unless the noun ends in certain letters add an es, but if it ends in a consonant, then a y, drop the y and add ies, but don't forget the irregular nouns, such as knife and knives or wife and wives... a whole other ballgame, along with the words that stay the same, such as fish, sheep and aircraft. There's more, but learn that part of the rule first.
Again, in what I quoted, all the poster had to do was add an "s." Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

True and that is why I asked for the statement of what this "simple rule" is. There is no simple rule that isn't full of holes.
OK, yes, English is full of exceptions, but the words in the post I quoted simply needed an "s."

I read the responses to my post when I was in bed a few nights ago. As I pondered the responses (which seemed mean-spirited but were from posters who are usually NOT mean), just out of curiosity I looked around the bedroom and noted these things: floor, nightstand, bed, blanket, cabinet, cat, rug, lamp, closet, picture, Kiddle, television, DVD player, window, door, thermostat, sheet, pillow, dresser, drawer, book, curtain, bookcase. I was looking for things that DIDN'T follow the "simple rule" of simply adding an "s" to make a plural -- and I couldn't find any. (I know I probably missed a couple of items that wouldn't follow the rule, but I hope my point is clear this time. )

Quote:
Yes and that is the reason I posted it the way I did. I think it hilarious someone thinks there is a simple rule.
Hilarious? Really? But there IS a simple, general rule.

In any case, I was pretty clearly referring to the apostrophes in what I quoted. The responses I got reminded me why I don't post very often in this thread -- I KNOW it is a thread where we post mistakes others have made so we can laugh at them, and I've done that a lot myself, but sometimes I think this thread brings out the worst in us.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:50 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,843,461 times
UPDATE FRZ RAIN advisory expended to include ____&____ Co's. Heads Up Traveler's & shoppers. - a local news station meteorological update.

Heads up "traveler's" what? Maybe we don't want to know? How come the shoppers don't get heads up their... whatevers? Oh man, I'm just going to stay in the house so I don't end up with heads up any orifices.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
UPDATE FRZ RAIN advisory expended to include ____&____ Co's. Heads Up Traveler's & shoppers. - a local news station meteorological update.

Heads up "traveler's" what? Maybe we don't want to know? How come the shoppers don't get heads up their... whatevers? Oh man, I'm just going to stay in the house so I don't end up with heads up any orifices.
Well, at least their advice has been...expended.
As a result, you shouldn't have to encounter their gems of writing again...

Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,843,461 times
I think they must have an unpaid intern working there. Or a chimpanzee!?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 PM

In response to other advice posted in a thread:

"i'm going to half to agree."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.