Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 02:34 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,932,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I just happened to think of this since it irritates me every time I hear it or see it in an ad: "Save up to 50% or more!" Uh, yeah ....
Speaking of commercials, "Dentures are very different to real teeth."

Just heard this same error on a show about sharks on one of the, um, er, educational channels. Something to the effect that the bull shark's hunting strategy is different to that of its larger open-water relative, the great white.

I realize that on television they sometimes take grammatical or syntactical shortcuts to use as few words as possible in the time they have to get their ideas across, but the correct word above--from--also has a single syllable, and would take no longer to say. This is clearly just an incorrect choice of words.

Back to commercials, and speaking of taking verbal shortcuts, I realize that incorrect syntax might shorten a sentence so the message fits into an ad's 30-second (or whatever) time slot. I understand how this can be useful with limited time, but these syntactically awkward sentences still jar me a bit:

[Drug being advertised] should not be used by women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant.

Yes, if there's some possible bad side effect, then I guess it's true that the product should be avoided by women who are may become pregnant.

and

Are you a veteran, own a home, and need cash?

Hmm . . . Are you a veteran? Are you own a home? And are you need cash?

Last edited by ogre; 09-08-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 03:11 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,412,905 times
I think 'different to' is a British expression.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:18 PM

13,034 posts, read 9,578,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Brits do a lot of funny things. I don't know what the actual term is, but I call it the "collective plural" ... meaning, a word that is singular but its makeup is many people. One dear to my heart is that they'll say "NASA are", where we would say (correctly, I think ...) "NASA is". There are numerous other examples.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:13 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,542,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Holy Guacamole, I hate when that happens! Cheese and rice, human beans need their tacos! What the shell! (I might be cracking, here. I should stop before everyone has a beef with me.)
Chicken out?

Old 09-08-2018, 06:53 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,412,905 times
Quote:
One of the great things about being a guitarist and piano player is ones fingers get the best exorcise going.
Paging Linda Blair...

Old 09-08-2018, 08:48 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,811,235 times
Default Dinner @ the Grand Guignol

Quote:
One of the great things about being a guitarist and piano player is ones fingers get the best exorcise going.

Quote:
Paging Linda Blair...
Oh, waiter? That extra-large order of pea soup? Please make it to go …

& +rep

Old 09-08-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Well, you learn something every day, as the saying goes. First time I've heard of that.

Even so, I imagine that it will still jar me a bit the next time I hear it on American "telly."

Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Quote:
Brits do a lot of funny things. I don't know what the actual term is, but I call it the "collective plural" ... meaning, a word that is singular but its makeup is many people. One dear to my heart is that they'll say "NASA are", where we would say (correctly, I think ...) "NASA is". There are numerous other examples.
Have to admit, I'm a bit lost on why "different to" is an example of the "collective plural."

That collective plural practice is interesting, though. We do that too, with the word "people," for example. We say "the people are," rather than "the people is," even though "the people" refers to a single large collection of persons. The British do apply this idea more widely, for sure, with examples like yours, "NASA are," or the committee or the faculty, etc., are.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:05 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,318,378 times
Jewelry, how to wear multipul Ring

I only looked at this thread because I thought it was a new kind of ring I'd never heard of.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,252,872 times
From a novel I'm currently reading:

Doubtless down one or more of them were the Finders that he sought, hiding at the edges of his awareness, taunting him, however inadvertently, like children playing a game of blindman's buff.

So the Finders were naked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.