Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 04:50 PM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not to me, it isn't.

Nor to me, but we probably don't represent a whole lot of people who are posting on the Interwebs nowadays.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,564,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Nor to me, but we probably don't represent a whole lot of people who are posting on the Interwebs nowadays.

Me three.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:28 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
There's still a lot of very good spelling and word usage on the internet. It just isn't found predominantly in the forums and social sites.
But even on them, as many folks spell and write pretty well as those who don't. Those who can't spell worth a hoot stand out so much they tend to be memorable, I think.

Some is kid fad. I sure hope they outgrow it in time.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,875,608 times
Do you ever feel bad about the way you treated a loved one after they die?

Hmm....that might be difficult.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There's still a lot of very good spelling and word usage on the internet. It just isn't found predominantly in the forums and social sites.
But even on them, as many folks spell and write pretty well as those who don't. Those who can't spell worth a hoot stand out so much they tend to be memorable, I think.

Some is kid fad. I sure hope they outgrow it in time.
... but, then some of those kids apparently grow up to be literary editors without a clue!

Perhaps you haven't noticed it, but I have found an alarming number of usage errors in books that were published over the past 10 years or so. I have seen so many glaring language errors that I have almost become inured to them, but please allow me to mention two errors that I encountered just yesterday.

In the book Tomorrow-Land (the "back story" of NYC's 1964-65 World's Fair), in the same chapter I found a possessive that was incorrectly substituted for a plural, as well as the mistaken use of "bleed", instead of "bled". In my opinion, if proof-readers and editors no longer have a firm grasp of the difference between possessives and plurals, and can't seem to master the correct use of tenses, the future of the language doesn't seem to be very bright.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:03 AM

I don’t get how your insurance company would except your claim.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Desecration of a human corpse is a crime in most jurisdictions, so perhaps those who mistreated a loved one after death should start worrying.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 AM

4,801 posts, read 2,809,263 times
Default Nailing down the terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Hmm....that might be difficult.
Not only that, in most jurisdictions (my opinion), it would be a crime, likely a felony.

More likely he or she meant: Do you ever regret how you treated a loved one in life? (That leaves the death implicit.)

Or: Do you ever regret, after they've died, how you treated a loved one in life? (Death is explicit, but I don't like how the sentence flows. & it sounds stilted)

Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 AM

4,801 posts, read 2,809,263 times
Default With a lot of hand gestures, too, I'm sure

Quote:

In the book Tomorrow-Land (the "back story" of NYC's 1964-65 World's Fair), in the same chapter I found a possessive that was incorrectly substituted for a plural, as well as the mistaken use of "bleed", instead of "bled". In my opinion, if proof-readers and editors no longer have a firm grasp of the difference between possessives and plurals, and can't seem to master the correct use of tenses, the future of the language doesn't seem to be very bright.
No, that future is very bright. Unfortunately, it's the Bonfire of the Vanities.

Yah, it's hard to say where good usage in language will go - there's still an attempt @ formal writing & prose - but the general run of fiction (popular fiction especially) can seem like it's own lingua franca. English is all over the World these days, & we're getting some odd constructions here & there.

Since the US (nor UK?) have an official academy of English to enlighten us on these matters, we'll (especially in the US) just have to cut & fit things together, as best we can. We've managed thus far - although there was an abortive attempt way back when to cut ties with UK altogether, & adopt Greek as the national US language. Fortunately, we talked ourselves out of that one.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:07 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,796,395 times

What happen to Miami Beach, Where are the high end money people. all I see is Ghetto/ flashers?

did she accepted the check and cashed it?

Should I talk about possible ways to increase the safety of the kids with the principle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.