Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 07:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,919,037 times

Advertisements

Misheard song lyrics are my favorite. Especially since I'm hearing impaired. My brain creates words for lyrics it doesn't hear correctly (word differentiation problems). Let's see how many of your recognize these classics:

Sweet dreams are made of cheese
Hold me closer, Tony Danza
Scuse me while I kiss this guy
Hit me with your pet shark
Ron John virgin mother and child

And one of my favorites:

Hey little thing let me lightcher canna cassa mamma ah so hadda handa nah messa rah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 AM

23,185 posts, read 26,353,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Misheard song lyrics are my favorite. Especially since I'm hearing impaired. My brain creates words for lyrics it doesn't hear correctly (word differentiation problems). Let's see how many of your recognize these classics:

And one of my favorites:

Hey little thing let me lightcher canna cassa mamma ah so hadda handa nah messa rah.
At least, since the advent of the www, all those mistaken lyrics can now be looked up .
Sometimes the mistakes were better than the correct words.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,704,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

And one of my favorites:

One of my best friends still teases me because when we were young, the song In The Navy I sang, Ding-a-Ling-Ling.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,919,037 times
I think the biggest reason why I often have trouble differentiating lyrics is they often don't make any damned sense. I just looked it up for the first time ever:

Hey little thing let me light your candle cause mama I'm sure hard to handle now gets around.

Really? I mean - honestly? Seriously? The "cause" in the middle of that implies that one is the direct result of the other. Being hard to handle, according to this lyric, means that I am somehow able to light your candle. Of course there's no hint in the sentence before or after explaining that the reason I'm hard to handle is that I'm as hot as a flame. Or that I sparkle like flint striking a stone. Or any other kind of thing that would lead someone to equate "hard to handle" with "light your candle."

And what's the "gets around" part? What does being able to get around, have ANYTHING to do with lighting candles OR being hard to handle?

Frankly I like my lyrics better. At least they have a reason to not make sense.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:10 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,752,762 times
Song:" Once on a meadow." (Name that tune!)

Old 01-11-2015, 06:19 PM

530 posts, read 670,735 times
How about all those signs on trucks on the highway that read, "Oversize Load" when the signs should say "OversizED Load" or the signs that adivse us, "Open at 9" - is this an invitation for us to grab our screwdrivers and open the doors at 9 or should they be saying "OpenED at 9.....if a store is open it should also be close....and if it is openED, it will be eventually be closED.
How about FUSSSSSSTRATED for frustrated? GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,427 posts, read 30,610,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
...How about FUSSSSSSTRATED for frustrated? GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Oh, yeah, I've only ever heard older people say it that way. Must be why it strikes me as an old-fashioned pronunciation because they knew what it was to "fuss" not to "fruss." Apparently didn't use or understand "frustrate" as a verb, just the use of the past tense form as an adjective.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 AM

23,185 posts, read 26,353,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Song:" Once on a meadow." (Name that tune!)

Guantanamera?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 AM

19,231 posts, read 25,562,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
How about FUSSSSSSTRATED for frustrated? GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Or, how about flustrated?

No, those folks did not have a speech impediment, as they were able to pronounce other words containing an "r" properly.
It seemed to me that they were confusing (or combining) the two words, "flustered" and "frustrated".
I observed this fairly widespread phenomenon in Woodbridge Township, NJ.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,427 posts, read 30,610,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Or, how about flustrated?

No, those folks did not have a speech impediment, as they were able to pronounce other words containing an "r" properly.
It seemed to me that they were confusing (or combining) the two words, "flustered" and "frustrated".
I observed this fairly widespread phenomenon in Woodbridge Township, NJ.

Dag-nab-it. Wish I'd thought of that one. I agree, that it's from flustered. I've heard this in the south my entire life. So it's not just NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing