Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,686,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
'Beg the question' refers to a logical fallacy. It's a kind of circular reasoning where the 'proof' amounts to a presupposition that a contention is true. For example if someone said "Pres. Obama is the smartest president of my lifetime," then someone else said "how do you know?" and the response was "I can tell by listening to him that his IQ is higher than any of the others," this would be an example of 'begging the question.'
Fallacy: Begging the Question

Very often the phrase is misused, even by professional communicators, to mean 'provoke the question.'
I've always used it in this context. And I even know about the logical fallacy .

I will stop this instant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread so I apologize if some of these have been mentioned.

"a butt-load" instead of "a boat-load" of something.

"That peaks my curiosity."

The classic, "The proof is in the pudding."

[/b]
Who knows? Maybe they are full of it. (butt-load)

Piquing curiosity is an interesting one, in particular. To pique means to irritate. I never hear the idiom used that way; only as if to draw great attention to a curiosity as in to bring it to a peak.

I did not know the saying the proof is in the pudding is supposed to be the proof of the pudding (is eating it). Thanks[/i]?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Seeing this one more and more: in the grocery story isle, instead of aisle. It's only an isle in places like Hawaii.
I'll, isle, aisle. We be crazy in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Also, peruse. Peruse is to intently study, to scrutinize; not to quickly glance over.
Did not know this. Big thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

I hear ya. Yet language changes, too. Words gather different or nuanced meanings over time. If words or phrases get used in an incorrect way long enough and pervasively enough, then the misunderstood version can become one of the accepted forms.
You have to wonder if people got their knickers in a bunch way back when ragman roll was evolving into rigmarole.

It appears the all the changes in language comes about from the lesser educated. However, I am disconcerted at the rate at which it is evolving. The advent of technology and the residual of Whole Language spelling is hastening it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
"very unique"...if something is unique it is already one of a kind so then how can something be very one of a kind? It is either unique or it isn't.
I've always thought that unique is subject to gradation.

A 1969 GTO is a relatively unique car. It's even more unique if it is a convertible, all original, with hideaway headlights, matching numbers, and a Judge package. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ask most police officers and they 'll tell you why this makes a certain kind of sense.
Or an ER nurse.

Oregon has been mentioned (Or-i-gun) but Nevada has not. It's Ne-va-duh. Not Ne-vah-duh. The first a in Nevada rhymes cat. If you are making the first a a short o sound, stop it. Stop it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,724,542 times
From a City Data forum:

"Thanks for the information on your fare city"

Sometimes I think the bus fare is not fair. But, who am I to say what is fare or unfair?
Fare is fair.

Fare enuf?

Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 AM

28,136 posts, read 30,062,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Oregon has been mentioned (Or-i-gun) but Nevada has not. It's Ne-va-duh. Not Ne-vah-duh. The first a in Nevada rhymes cat. If you are making the first a a short o sound, stop it. Stop it now.
Yup!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
Quote:

It's Ne-va-duh. Not Ne-vah-duh. The first a in Nevada rhymes cat. If you are making the first a a short o sound, stop it. Stop it now.
By this logic, everyone should be pronouncing 'New York', "Noo Yawk". You start doing that and I start calling Nevada, "Ne-Vaaaaa-duh".

Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
By this logic, everyone should be pronouncing 'New York', "Noo Yawk". You start doing that and I start calling Nevada, "Ne-Vaaaaa-duh".
*smacks ABQ*

Oh, yeah? Oh, yeah? Well, I'm going to intentionally mispronounce Alba, uh, Alber, uh, oh heck. I can't even spell it (but I'm thinkin' it).

Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
Quote:
*smacks ABQ*

Oh, yeah? Oh, yeah? Well, I'm going to intentionally mispronounce Alba, uh, Alber, uh, oh heck. I can't even spell it (but I'm thinkin' it).
That's OK, we just call it Burque (though there is some dispute as to the proper pronunciation of that, too.)

Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM

28,136 posts, read 30,062,028 times
Quote:
That's the way we Salt Lakers can spot tourists. They come to ski at Alta but pronounce it "Ahl-ta." Like I tell people, the altitude's pretty high at Alta, and the first syllable is pronounced the same way in both cases. After skiing, they head down to Zion (National Park) but mispronounce it, too. It rhymes with "lion," not with "try on."

Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That's OK, we just call it Burque (though there is some dispute as to the proper pronunciation of that, too.)
Well, that explains the whole Nevada issue you have.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:39 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,724,542 times
^^^^Yep, I got it! It makes the whole subject word as clear as mud. Takes on a meaning and pronunciation on its'own. Lol

Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,261,606 times
"the full blunt of attacks"

Just a love tap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing