Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times

Advertisements

Slightly off topic: I once had a professor who always pronounced "gesture" with a hard "g".

I had a boyfriend in college who pronounced it with a hard "g." He also argued that "souvenir" was pronounced "silverneer." It was probably because his parents were first generation Americans who mostly spoke Italian at home. He was imitating what he was hearing at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I sometimes here people say "in lieu of" when they should say "in light of" (e.g. "in lieu of your recent marriage, are you now thinking about having children?"

I know one person who always says "phantom" when she means "fathom" (e.g. "I can't phantom going to the opera wearing blue jeans.")

Slightly off topic: I once had a professor who always pronounced "gesture" with a hard "g".
Loved the example.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I had a boyfriend in college who pronounced it with a hard "g." He also argued that "souvenir" was pronounced "silverneer." It was probably because his parents were first generation Americans who mostly spoke Italian at home. He was imitating what he was hearing at home.
I had a friend who said "silverneer". Her grandparents were from Ireland. She also said, "rooned" for "ruined". She grew up in Manhattan. I figured this was all just a NYC accent.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a friend who said "silverneer". Her grandparents were from Ireland. She also said, "rooned" for "ruined". She grew up in Manhattan. I figured this was all just a NYC accent.
...and then there is the classic Jersey City accent of years gone by.
Older folks from JC almost always pronounced an "s" as if it was a "z".
Thus, the coating of black dust on the windowsills was "zoot".
A bowl of hot broth with meat and vegetables was "zoup".

And, when they had to use the sanitary facilities, they would say that they were going to "the terlet".
If they checked their car's fluids, the "erl" was one of the fluids that they checked.

The yuppified nature of JC at this point makes it unlikely that you would still hear the classic JC accent, but if you lived in that city as recently as 20 years ago, you probably would have heard it.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, and have also seen written, "bubble off plum," which many people seem to think is someone who is not all there, similar to saying, "He's six chips short of a stack," etc.

The actual term, "bubble off plumb," is referring to a carpenter's level for measuring, and I always assumed it meant that someone was a little crooked or quirky.
Interesting. Makes sense to me that it could be used both ways - either for someone who's not on the level (meaning shady) or someone's who's a little off balance, out of whack.

I try to stay in whack.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If they checked their car's fluids, the "erl" was one of the fluids that they checked.
Which reminds me of this classic: "Ersters'll sperl if ya berl 'em in erl".

Never knew anyone who really spoke that way, but I've been assured that they existed.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Which reminds me of this classic: "Ersters'll sperl if ya berl 'em in erl".
That would be a perfect example of a classic Jersey City-accented sentence.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

My mom did, and my brother still does, say silverneer. It hurts my ears!

No amount of correcting either one changed their mind. I remember my mom telling me that she said it right. My brother is too dumb to understand he is wrong.

Then again, neither could say California correctly... always something like Cali-phone-ia.

At least my brother can pronounce Oregon correctly; my mom always said Oregone.

PS.. We were all New England born, and lived there for part of our lives. We spoke funny in Lowell, MA, but these two words were never pronounced this way in my mind.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Then again, neither could say California correctly... always something like Cali-phone-ia.

At least my brother can pronounce Oregon correctly; my mom always said Oregone.

I used to work with a woman who would frequently tell us that her son lived in Cally-phone-ia, and that her was an arty-tech.
(That's "architect", for those not skilled in Ada Speech. )

As to Oregon, I believe that the pronunciation favored by your mother may have been age-related.
Virtually every person I have ever known who was born prior to the 1940s pronounced Oregon as Orry-gone.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,693,963 times
Pomegranate

Or is it Polygranite?

The translation of "poly granite" would be "many granules" which is exactly what the inside of a pomegranate looks like?

What a clever malapropism that would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing