Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I used to work with a woman who would frequently tell us that her son lived in Cally-phone-ia, and that her was an arty-tech.
(That's "architect", for those not skilled in Ada Speech. )

As to Oregon, I believe that the pronunciation favored by your mother may have been age-related.
Virtually every person I have ever known who was born prior to the 1940s pronounced Oregon as Orry-gone.

My father, born in 1921, did not--because he was stationed there in WWII prior to going overseas. He taught us the correct pronunciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM

I hear "ashphalt" a lot for "asphalt" and it drives me nuts. And I hear it a lot--I work with engineers, and it amazes me how many of THEM mispronounce asphalt.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM

19,207 posts, read 25,493,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My father, born in 1921, did not--because he was stationed there in WWII prior to going overseas. He taught us the correct pronunciation.
IMHO, your father was the exception to the rule for his generation, and--more than likely--that was as a result of being stationed in Oregon.

Quote:
I hear "ashphalt" a lot for "asphalt" and it drives me nuts. And I hear it a lot--I work with engineers, and it amazes me how many of THEM mispronounce asphalt.
Yup!
That one also drives me nuts.

When I was a kid, the landlord of our building spoke of "ashphault", but then again, he mispronounced a whole litany of words.
He parked his car at "the curve" (curb), was careful about avoiding "the medium" in the middle of the road (median), and when he went to Jersey City, he usually drove on "Communy-prawl" Avenue. (The name is actually Communipaw, a fine old Dutch word.)

The funniest incident resulting from his fractured pronunciations had to do with him patching the ceiling in one of our rooms.
He announced that he would be back the following day to put "Sparkle" (Spackle) on the ceiling.
As a young child, I was very disappointed when I looked at the ceiling after he patched it, and it didn't...sparkle.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,301 posts, read 30,539,763 times
Quote:
...when he went to Jersey City, he usually drove on "Communy-prawl" Avenue. (The name is actually Communipaw, a fine old Dutch word.)
That reminds me of the pronunciation of one of Memphis' main thoroughfares, Poplar Avenue. A poplar is a kind of tree. A popular tree maybe since some call it Popular Avenue.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That reminds me of the pronunciation of one of Memphis' main thoroughfares, Poplar Avenue. A poplar is a kind of tree. A popular tree maybe since some call it Popular Avenue.
I can tell you that this pronunciation of "poplar" is not limited to Memphis.
An elderly relative of mine--who always lived in NY or NJ--pronounced it the same way.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Hey, I was on Communyprawl Avenue just two weeks ago!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Hey, I was on Communyprawl Avenue just two weeks ago!

But...did you make sure to park your car at the curve?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,547,309 times
Quote:
I used to work with a woman who would frequently tell us that her son lived in Cally-phone-ia, and that her was an arty-tech.
(That's "architect", for those not skilled in Ada Speech. )

As to Oregon, I believe that the pronunciation favored by your mother may have been age-related.
Virtually every person I have ever known who was born prior to the 1940s pronounced Oregon as Orry-gone.

Don't know which is worse, "arty-tech" or "archie-tec-t" as this guy I know says it. No sense in trying to correct him because he is always right.

My dad was born in 1933 and pronounced Oregon correctly, as did all my siblings. Mom just never caught on that she was in the wrong.

I visited Oregon when I was a teen and my friend asked me how I pronounced it... I passed the test and was allowed to stay and visit for three weeks.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,127,217 times
Spotted on the General U.S. forum of City-Data today:

Witch North American city is close to perfect?

(I'm guessing Salem is the right answer, but I'm not sure.)

Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,302,781 times
This one cracked me up!
I want to get an erogenous Zestimate corrected
I told him he's getting too excited about this real estate business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing