Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,177,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
My maternal grandmother, born in Wisconsin in the late 1890's said "crik" for creek...
Half the people in Utah today (including my husband) still say that! It drives me crazy. It's a pronunciation thing, so I'm sure your grandmother was thinking "creek" and pronouncing it as she was used to hearing it pronounced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,434,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
My maternal grandmother, born in Wisconsin in the late 1890's said "crik" for creek & used "grip" instead of the words suitcase or luggage.
She also said "Rockyfellers" when referencing the famous business/political family.
"Grip"--haven't heard that one in a long time. "Valise" is another term for "suitcase" that is no longer used. I still say "suitcase" but also "luggage".

Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 PM

33,074 posts, read 36,743,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
"Grip"--haven't heard that one in a long time. "Valise" is another term for "suitcase" that is no longer used. I still say "suitcase" but also "luggage".
Grippe? That was flu.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,628,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Grippe? That was flu.
Spelled that way, yes. I heard the term grip for luggage as well.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Grippe? That was flu.

Terms describing illnesses and health conditions seem to have changed over the years more than any other particular group of words.

Dyspepsia - indigestion - heartburn - acid reflux.

Rheumatism - arthritis - degenerative joint disease

Ague - fever

Apoplexy - stroke

Fits - seizures

Cystitis - badder infection

Lying in - childbirth (Boston Lying In Hospital is now called Brigham and Young Hospital)

Quinsy - tonsillitis

Water on the brain - hydrocephallus

Bright's Disease - general term for kidney disease

Childbed fever - post-partum infection of uterus

Womb - still used but in medical circles "uterus" is used

Infantile paralysis - polio

Lockjaw - tetanus

Hydrophobia - rabies

There are coutless others but that's a short list.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:14 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,177,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
There are coutless others but that's a short list.
Mongolian Idiocy --> Down Syndrome
Manic Depressive --> Bipolar

I think we're trying to be a little less insulting these days, which is good.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,381,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

I think we're trying to be a little less insulting these days, which is good.
I'd agree with your viewpoint on many terms and phrases, but I think changing manic depressive to bipolar was a huge mistake because too many people misunderstand it. The term manic depressive was clear, but I've been hearing bipolar tossed around regularly to mean everything from "He/she is having a bad day" to "He/she is in a bad mood" when it's a life situation rather than a mental health issue.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:35 AM

89,056 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Half the people in Utah today (including my husband) still say that! It drives me crazy. It's a pronunciation thing, so I'm sure your grandmother was thinking "creek" and pronouncing it as she was used to hearing it pronounced.
They say it in a lot of places, including where my sister lives in Pennsylvania. It's mostly the original locals who pronounce it that way.

Same here in New Jersey. I live in an area that was fairly rural until 25 - 30 years ago, when swarms of people from New York City saw cheap property and moved out here, much to the delight of developers. There is still a contingent of people who are from the older families of the area, more country types, and the cops call them the "crikkers" because they talk about going down to the crik to fish and go crabbing (we are not far from the ocean).

Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I'd agree with your viewpoint on many terms and phrases, but I think changing manic depressive to bipolar was a huge mistake because too many people misunderstand it. The term manic depressive was clear, but I've been hearing bipolar tossed around regularly to mean everything from "He/she is having a bad day" to "He/she is in a bad mood" when it's a life situation rather than a mental health issue.

I agree with you 100%. Bipolar is tossed around as a pop diagnosis today and misapplied all the time. I know someone who regularly does this to anyone she thinks is a little too moody. She describes some people as "a little bipolar".

Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
French pox - syphillis

Clap - gonnorhea

With child - in a family way - expecting - pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing