Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,674,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Handwriting was called penmanship.

When I had my very first apartment I was proud as punch when my grandmother pronounced it "neat as a pin."
And I used to hear them say fountain pen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,674,444 times
My grandmother used to always get on our case if we didn't speak to people, that was big in the south back then. She would say, the time of day is due to a dog, meaning you speak to everybody and I guess dogs as well, lol.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
half past 4 ...... instead of 4:30 (four-thirty)

bye & bye .... when is suppah ready?? bye & bye

hit the sack and hit the rack,,,, both referring to going to bed....

bats in the belfry......some loud or squirrely ladies..

Old 03-29-2015, 04:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,616,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
bats in the belfry......some loud or squirrely ladies..
That's still used. The high school athletic teams are officially called the Bats in Belfry, Montana.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:52 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,420,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And I used to hear them say fountain pen.
Real fountain pens are highly collectible today. Several years ago I sold a Parker pen and pencil set (used, that I bought at a garage sale) still in original case on ebay for $53. I was really surprised it brought such a good price. Being in the original case probably helped a lot.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,360,539 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about saying "double" whatever when spelling, instead of saying each letter- like the name Billy would be said "B. I. Double-L. Y." instead of "B.I.L.L.Y."
I always thought that was kinda weird- or lazy. lol

Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
"Ought" or "Ot" - meaning zero or 0

2015 - Two ot one five.

2005- Two double ot five

My grandmother, a college graduate, preferred saying ot over zero and always spelled it ot. I suspect it was because of her regional dialect.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,616,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Ought" or "Ot" - meaning zero or 0

2015 - Two ot one five.

2005- Two double ot five

My grandmother, a college graduate, preferred saying ot over zero and always spelled it ot. I suspect it was because of her regional dialect.
I was curious about this as I have both heard and used aught. I looked up ot in both the OED II and the Merriam-Webster Second International. It's cited in both as a part of a word, prefix only in English. It is an abbreviation for several different terms.

An internet search produced nothing for ot, but it did produce other terms for zero. I'm appending a link to an article that you may find interesting..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_...r_0_in_English

Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I was curious about this as I have both heard and used aught. I looked up ot in both the OED II and the Merriam-Webster Second International. It's cited in both as a part of a word, prefix only in English. It is an abbreviation for several different terms.

An internet search produced nothing for ot, but it did produce other terms for zero. I'm appending a link to an article that you may find interesting..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_...r_0_in_English
Thanks. As I said, I suspect the spelling ot was regional. Or even within our family. She would also, in some situations, spell bright "brite", night "nite", etc. My father did it as well, which probably helped contribute to my not being able to spell worth beans. (Another expression she used.) Which is why God invented editors.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,561,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
A lot of the words and phrases that are in this thread are still used here in the South. When I was reading some of them, I was thinking "What's so odd about saying that?"

Lord willing, and the creek doesn't rise, these words and phrases will remain.
I agree, mot sure what is considered grandparent material. Some mentioned I use all the time, like hit the rack. First heard that in college, still use it. I think using the word Cool will always be, uh, cool. Just spelled kewl. Some that may soon be grandparent material are groovy and bummer. I was in my teens and 20's when those were in the lexicon and proud to say I used neither.

These dadgum whippersnappers here are spoiling it for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing