Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,235,712 times

Advertisements

"Hot rod" - haven't heard that one in years. Also "souped up", referring to the "hot rod".

One word that my grandmother, who was born in 1875, used that I still hear today is "s l u t". That's one word that shows no sign of disappearing.

(Mod: Why do I get a line of **** when I enter that word above with no spaces between the letters? It's not like I'm pinning it to anyone.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,801,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Yes, in_newengland, my Father and his family were from Devonshire.

(and he put salted peanuts in the bottle as he drank his "dope".)
your wheel to the park".
Opps, I tried to shorted it but deleted too much.

Your heritage shows! I have similar--my Dad's family came from Yorkshire. So I am not the only one who was told to take my WHEEL TO THE PARK! "Shes out on her wheel." I have so many English words and foods and expressions, and traditions that I never knew were English.

Back to American words.

the wireless. Didn't that mean radio?

In our generation we had transistors (radios.)

Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,408,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
And gander was kind of slangy like "get a load of" meaning to take a look at something unusual/funny/"hot"(a good-looking man or woman).
"Take a gander at that." I hear that now and then.
Quote:
And besides being someone who was always tardy, my step-mother called a particular type of lollypop a slow-poke. LOL

Quote:
The curb-feelers thing was actually rigid wires installed on the wheels of the "machine" that would make a scraping noise when you were parked close enough to the curb.
They were quite popular amongst the gangsta set in the 70s. You usually saw them on Cadillacs and Buick Electras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"Hot rod" - haven't heard that one in years.
I hear it, but it's used sarcastically. For instance, someone will point to a banged up beater of a car, and say "Look at that hot rod."

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,008,453 times
My mother would say in early spring "better take your jacket its airish outside" a light coat because the weather was cool.My dad called it snipe hunting which was smoking a cigarette butt someone threw down during the Depression....Many of you already posted notion,mangoes,sammich all family favorites.

Dads favorite lunch meat when i was growing up was Souse hated it then love it now.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,235,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
They were quite popular amongst the gangsta set in the 70s. You usually saw them on Cadillacs and Buick Electras.

I hear it, but it's used sarcastically. For instance, someone will point to a banged up beater of a car, and say "Look at that hot rod."
Curb feelers were common on cars in the 1950's. The cars my parents owned had curb feelers on them. Also sun visors.

Originally, a "hot rod" was a car that had been "souped up" i.e. modified, to make an impressively loud noise and to take off quickly from a dead stop.

Hmmmmm......what did they call it when two cars at a stop light would, by mutual agreement, take off as soon as the light turned green to see who could accelerate faster??? There was a name for that but I've forgotten what it was.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Fiddle around
Lollygagging

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM

578 posts, read 1,376,638 times
Default euphemisms

These are terms I know regarding using the toilet.

The necessary
Water closet

Take a powder.
I have to see a man about a horse. (The Freudian/phallic symbolism in this statement always makes me laugh.)

Last edited by skippercollector; 03-02-2011 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: added a comment

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
These are terms I know regarding using the toilet.

The necessary
Water closet

Take a powder.
I have to see a man about a horse. (The Freudian/phallic symbolism in this statement always makes me laugh.)

Privy

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Souped up... Hot Rod.... we had clunkers,beaters,hoopties,jalopys...ever watch a parade with Shriners driving those Beverly Hillbillies cars? Yup those were good old days....dad was a Shriner.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,368,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Curb feelers were common on cars in the 1950's. The cars my parents owned had curb feelers on them. Also sun visors.

Originally, a "hot rod" was a car that had been "souped up" i.e. modified, to make an impressively loud noise and to take off quickly from a dead stop.

Hmmmmm......what did they call it when two cars at a stop light would, by mutual agreement, take off as soon as the light turned green to see who could accelerate faster??? There was a name for that but I've forgotten what it was.
drag race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing