Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 06:18 AM

910 posts, read 373,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Your argument can be said about any sport
It’s easy to play any sport at an amateur level … not so easy at a professional level

Take for example ping-pong, one of my favorite sports
Anybody can play it with their friends … now try playing it against a professional player and you’ll be crying after 5 minutes
I believe the hardest skill to master in all of team sports, is to hit a baseball. The hand eye coordination required is absolutely phenomenal. You have a millisecond to react to where the ball is, either high, low, outside or inside. There are several different baseball pitches that most people could never hit. Whether they are Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Knuckleball, Changeup, Sinker, Screwball, Forkball, Slurve, Cutter, Splitter, etc. Anyone can kick a soccer ball, very few people can hit a baseball.

Last edited by vindag; 07-25-2021 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-25-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It's a lot easier throwing a rugby ball or a cricket ball than it is kicking a football!! I say that as an Englishman that likes both football and rugby (not so much cricket) that's obviously played all those sports! Rugby is FAR easier to play.
I believe the hardest skill to master in all of team sports, is to hit a baseball. The hand eye coordination required is absolutely phenomenal. You have a millisecond to react to where the ball is, either high, low, outside, or inside. There are several different baseball pitches that most people could never hit. Whether they are Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Knuckleball, Changeup, Sinker, Screwball, Forkball, Slurve, Cutter, Splitter, etc. Anyone can kick a soccer ball, very few people can hit a baseball.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:15 AM

89 posts, read 49,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It's a lot easier throwing a rugby ball or a cricket ball than it is kicking a football!! I say that as an Englishman that likes both football and rugby (not so much cricket) that's obviously played all those sports! Rugby is FAR easier to play.
off course it is american saying playing witj foot( not natural) way is less skillfull then playing with hands(natural) way

Old 07-25-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I believe the hardest skill to master in all of team sports, is to hit a baseball. The hand eye coordination required is absolutely phenomenal. You have a millisecond to react to where the ball is, either high, low, outside, or inside. There are several different baseball pitches that most people could never hit. Whether they are Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Knuckleball, Changeup, Sinker, Screwball, Forkball, Slurve, Cutter, Splitter, etc. Anyone can kick a soccer ball, very few people can hit a baseball.
soccer as a foot requirement SPORT to control the ball is hardest sport'skill to master. and bsseball is game of guessing not skill like every other american sport guess where ball will be thrown in nfl and mlb and swing or turn to catch it lol there is no skill involved in it but TIMING

Old 07-25-2021, 07:17 AM

27,643 posts, read 13,838,977 times
Quote:
Endurance, Strength, Speed, Agility, Flexibility, Nerve, Durability, Hand Eye coordination, Analytic Aptitude etc are the usual criteria used in relation to sport, and the most difficult sport is boxing, if you take all the criteria in to account.

In terms of hand-eye coordination, Cricket has a high degree of this, as does baseball. Fast bowlers in cricket, often exceed speeds of 100 mph, and in cricket you can not be leg fore wicket and must ensure the ball doesn't hit the wicket with your bat, which against a world class bowler is a very difficult skill.

As for Football (Soccer) it needs a good deal of endurance, strength and speed, and as in the recent Euros, games went on for the full 90 minutes, followed by 30 minutes extra time and then penalties, and it is a sport that is ranked highly in these terms.

Rugby is an even more physical sport, and relies heavily on strength and speed coupled with agility and durability, and Rugby is not an easy game to play, and can result in nasty injuries. However unlike the NFL Rugby players don't wear all that padding.

Hockey also ranks highly due to the speed of the game, hand to eye coordination, coupled with endurance and strength.

You can find various lists on google ranking sports difficult using the types of criteria I mentioned above.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-25-2021 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-25-2021, 07:27 AM

18,193 posts, read 25,449,041 times
Quote:
I believe the hardest skill to master in all of team sports, is to hit a baseball. The hand eye coordination required is absolutely phenomenal. You have a millisecond to react to where the ball is, either high, low, outside or inside. There are several different baseball pitches that most people could never hit. Whether they are Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Knuckleball, Changeup, Sinker, Screwball, Forkball, Slurve, Cutter, Splitter, etc. Anyone can kick a soccer ball, very few people can hit a baseball.
Again,
are you talking about amateur or professional level?

Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 AM

18,193 posts, read 25,449,041 times
How likely is it I'll hit a baseball thrown by a professional pitcher?
My guess ... I'll hit 1 out of 20 (at some point I'm going to guess right)

If you try kicking free kicks from 30 yards/meters with a wall and a professional goalie
How likely do you think it would be for an average person to score a goal?
I know for a fact that is not going to be 1 out of 20.

Just look at the gif below .... perfect free kick and the goalie still, almost got it.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Again,
are you talking about amateur or professional level?
came from europe7bosnia live in usa for 23 years and i so annoyed with american born people talk about their sport like it requires skill b.s. argument. while in USA sports only thing is required is strenght and some what speed. what skill do you need to hit a home run NONE but power and guessing7timing. NFL WHAT SKILL DO YOU NEED NONE JUST POWER TO THROW THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD AND SOMEWHAT SPEED FOR GUY TO SEPERATE FROM DEFENDER TO CATCH THE BALL AND THAT IS IT
SO SICK OF AMERICAN SPORTS FAN TELLING ME SOCCER DOES NOT REQUIRE SKILL WHEN IN RELITY IT IS PLAYED BY FOOT SO IT NEEDS MORE SKILL TO PLAY THEN WITH HAND BECAUSE WHEN YOU PLAY SPORT WITH HAND YOU ONLY USE INSIDE OF HAND TO PLAY WITH BALL SOCCER YOU USE INSIDE OUTSIDE BACK HEAL **** ANDON AND ON
i mean americans fans wants to say that only sport that uses FOOT to pass the ball short long distance only sport that uses foot to basicly catch the ball trap the ball with foot isless skillfull then sport that uses hands to catch throw ball .which has been used since man was made by God

Old 07-25-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Endurance, Strength, Speed, Agility, Flexibility, Nerve, Durability, Hand Eye coordination, Analytic Aptitude etc are the usual criteria used in relation to sport, and the most difficult sport is boxing, if you take all the criteria in to account.

In terms of hand-eye coordination, Cricket has a high degree of this, as does baseball. Fast bowlers in cricket, often exceed speeds of 100 mph, and in cricket you can not be leg fore wicket and must ensure the ball doesn't hit the wicket with your bat, which against a world class bowler is a very difficult skill.

As for Football (Soccer) it needs a good deal of endurance, strength and speed, and as in the recent Euros, games went on for the full 90 minutes, followed by 30 minutes extra time and then penalties, and it is a sport that is ranked highly in these terms.

Rugby is an even more physical sport, and relies heavily on strength and speed coupled with agility and durability, and Rugby is not an easy game to play, and can result in nasty injuries. However unlike the NFL Rugby players don't wear all that padding.

Hockey also ranks highly due to the speed of the game, hand to eye coordination, coupled with endurance and strength.

You can find various lists on google ranking sports difficult using the types of criteria I mentioned above.
Rugby players very rarely absorb impacts of the same energy that occur in gridiron. The concussive trauma we see in ex-NFL players is simply not present in rugby players even at the highest level. Rugby players retire with less back pain and joint injury, and generally go on to be heathier in middle and old age. NFL players are vastly more likely to suffer throughout middle and old age. Many of the hits in gridiron would be illegal in rugby, which specifically bans head high tackles. This absolute nonsense that rugby is tougher, because they don't wear padding, is laughable. There are 500 NFL players that are over 300 pounds, so your typical rugby player would have to bulk up to play NFL football. I would say you have a far better chance of getting seriously injured in NFL football, but in rugby you need more stamina.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 AM

27,643 posts, read 13,838,977 times
Quote:
Rugby players very rarely absorb impacts of the same energy that occur in gridiron. The concussive trauma we see in ex-NFL players is simply not present in rugby players even at the highest level. Rugby players retire with less back pain and joint injury, and generally go on to be heathier in middle and old age. NFL players are vastly more likely to suffer throughout middle and old age. Many of the hits in gridiron would be illegal in rugby, which specifically bans head high tackles. This absolute nonsense that rugby is tougher, because they don't wear padding, is laughable. There are 500 NFL players that are over 300 pounds, so your typical rugby player would have to bulk up to play NFL football. I would say you have a far better chance of getting seriously injured in NFL football, but in rugby you need more stamina.
In rugby it is spinal injuries from scrums and bad tackles that are the most dangerous, indeed 110 rugby players in Britain had been paralysed by playing the game as of 2013, which is the last figures I have.

There are also head injuries and concussions involved in rugby, and rugby players also often have very distinctive cauliflower ears, which are caused by blunt force trauma.

Concussion: Rugby 'should follow NFL' to reduce brain injury risk - BBC News (2021)

Horror rugby tackle left man paralysed from the chin down - Wales On-line (2018)

Concussion in rugby union affected 20% of professional players in England in 2018-19 - BBC Sport (2020)

The story of rugby's injury crisis from the players, a coach and a doctor - BBC Sport (2017)

This is why rugby players get cauliflower ear - The Irish News (2017)

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-25-2021 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World