Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 09:21 AM

10,093 posts, read 5,814,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
If your well aware then you will realise there are a lot more complex factors in terms of cricket, and the condition of the pitch and conditions, make the ball play differently, whilst there are a lot more factors to consider in relation to being put out.

Also once pit out, that's it, you don't get another chance, whilst in terms of hitting the ball there are fielders all over a cricket pitch, just as there are a baseball pitch.

Whilst the two games do not have the obvious similarity that rounders does with baseball, anyone wjo thinks cricket is not a difficult game and that baseball is somehow more difficult, is sadly mistaken.
Once again, you keep arguing with yourself against assertions I haven't made.

Have fun with that.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM

14,835 posts, read 12,143,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Once again with your silly rounders argument. Well those British kids could play silly rounders everyday for the rest of their lives, and they still would not have acquired the necessary skills to ever play in the lowest levels of minor league baseball, let alone in one of the worlds great sports league in MLB. Baseball is not "just" a version of rounders, what an ignorant statement. There are some similarities, but completely different games.
He does have a point, there is a lot more to cricket.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:09 PM

18,194 posts, read 25,461,721 times
If football is better than soccer
why is it that football fans ALWAYS have to go around trying to convince people that football is better than soccer

About a year ago I was at a BWW watching a soccer game and some guy a couple of spots away from me tells me:
"Soccer sucks"
I told him: "Ok"
Dude didn't even know how to react.... go home and take care of your insecurities.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:42 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,894,675 times
The only sport I really enjoy watching is T&F, but I can understand why soccer is so popular.

The sport has a good blend of pure athletics and technical skill. I feel like it's less one-size-fits-all than some other sports.

Basketball, for example, is a sport I loved to play and watch until I hit puberty and didn't grow up past 170 cm. Then I stopped caring about it because I couldn't relate to the players at all. Football is similar in that only really exceptional players are average height and they are still massive guys in terms of weight. T&F is the same way too frankly, you need a certain body type and physiology to perform at a high level, kind of opposite of US Football body type. I still enjoy it for the simplicity and athleticism.

Soccer also doesn't require a lot of gear or special environment like ice hockey. That helps to make it more relatable. I think it's just the most relatable sport across the general population which is why so many people like to watch it.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:28 PM

9,045 posts, read 3,553,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Well being English means I've played all those sports and football is far more difficult! Try dunking a basketball with your hands then do the same with your feet, afterward throw a ball 30 metres to your mate then kick a football to him, then come back to me and tell me which was 'more difficult'!
Being a human, I too have played all those sports. Being a natural, I find them all quite easy

Kicking a soccer ball is a simple gross motor skill that every child can do. Catching a ball? Not so much. Shooting a ball through a hoop...come on. That the primary soccer skill is so fundamental and simple isn't a negative. It is a positive and makes it accessible to all.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkamies View Post
sarcasam but you aussie so you care about other two sports that is layed by hand aussie rules and rugby lol. but no sport requires more skill the soccer to play running with the ball in your feet dribbling it trapping it catching it with your foot. it is not even close which sport requires most skill
No, I hate Aussie Rules. I consider it to be a blight on our national character and an embarrassment. But it does require all the skill of soccer, plus ball handling and passing skills as well as physical tackling. So it could be worse...soccer could be popular...

Old 07-26-2021, 08:37 PM

10,459 posts, read 15,352,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Its not only the USA where it doesn't generate much interest.

https://www.statista.com/chart/10042...rts-worldwide/

Old 07-26-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If football is better than soccer
why is it that football fans ALWAYS have to go around trying to convince people that football is better than soccer
My experience is that it is the soccer crowd who are always wanting to discuss the superiority of their preferred game. They even get offended when you call it soccer.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
You think that is accurate?? I can assure you that the most popular spectator sport in Australia is not Australian Rules football. Nor is soccer the most popular sport in China. And Rugby is barely even played in Papua New Guinea. Just a few errors that pop out.

No one is disputing that soccer is the most popular sport in the world by the way.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:56 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,814,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You think that is accurate?? I can assure you that the most popular spectator sport in Australia is not Australian Rules football. Nor is soccer the most popular sport in China. And Rugby is barely even played in Papua New Guinea. Just a few errors that pop out.

No one is disputing that soccer is the most popular sport in the world by the way.
What DO they play in PNG? The only international teams of any recognition I've heard of from there are rugby and cricket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World