Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,903,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Looks nice, one thing I like about English burbs is there's usually a main street. While the houses look ok, I feel like they look mostly the same with the same brick. There'd be a bit variety in shape and color in American ones. Wooden construction helps because it can be painted different colors. Other negative to many Americans (not to me) is the yard sizes are small, not really that different from the 1940s Philly example theunbrainwashed showed.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,903,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
In terms of urbanism, the american suburbs looks fine, with extensive green lawns and beautiful houses. I would like to live in a place like these. However, the lack of facilities in the nearby like hospitals, markets, drugstores and public transport is a problem. The best of the worlds would be urban areas with a suburban look and feel, but also crossed by commercial avenues, with all of the urban facilities.
Other than public transport, most American suburbs don't lack what you listed, at least not in short driving distance.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM

183 posts, read 220,138 times
Obvious troll thread, but i'll hop in too.

Quote:
In terms of urbanism, the american suburbs looks fine, with extensive green lawns and beautiful houses. I would like to live in a place like these. However, the lack of facilities in the nearby like hospitals, markets, drugstores and public transport is a problem.
That isn't true at all, except for public transport to some degree. There is almost always stores a very short drive away and parks or forests in walking distance. The photos that Ariete shown in page number 1, are extreme and not really representative of the normal. For many suburbs there are also bus services.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:49 PM

363 posts, read 485,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I thought the wooden homes in the second picture posted of this Norwegian city looked a bit similar to Mr. Joshua's Boston views.
Would you be suprised if I told you that there actually lives many american citizens in that Norwegian city

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/13670585.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/4753685.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-18-2015 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 03-17-2015, 01:51 PM

27,930 posts, read 29,087,037 times
Quote:
In terms of urbanism, the american suburbs looks fine, with extensive green lawns and beautiful houses. I would like to live in a place like these. However, the lack of facilities in the nearby like hospitals, markets, drugstores and public transport is a problem. The best of the worlds would be urban areas with a suburban look and feel, but also crossed by commercial avenues, with all of the urban facilities.
It depends on what city you're talking about. The large cities on the east coast, for example, have a fair amount of public transportation and amenities like you describe that reach into the inner suburbs.

These are a few suburbs near Washington DC:

Alexandria, Virginia -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Alexandria.jpg

Silver Spring, Maryland -

http://peterson.propertycapsule.com/...b7d9cca03fc85/

Rockville, Maryland -

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/im...EeGllLowsowUwg

Well, at least these images illustrate there are attempts to make some suburbs look a little more interesting.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,714,724 times
Quote:
Who are you referring to by "we"? Many Americans are happy with the current situation, others not so much. No clue how Finns feel about their current situation. Even if the overall cost is the same in both systems, the taxpayers funded system have some advantages. For unpaid leave, families need to make sure to have enough savings, and for lower paid workers a long unpaid leave may be impractical. Overall, it trades some disposable income for more security, with bigger advantages for lower paid workers.
And yet the rates of stay at home moms are nearly identical.

How DO those American mothers do it without all those subsidies?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Corner shops, libraries, community centre, Parks, Halls or a local high street with shops not massive retail parks (Strip Mall)
Hey, we have all of those here!

Whoduthunkit?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM

363 posts, read 485,148 times
Quote:
Nice houses. My image of Dorchester is a bit run down, forget that it has nice parts.

Again, for Scandinavian posters, do those wooden home close together look at all Scandinavian?
Those type of houses are everywhere in Rogaland county / Stavanger city, in Norway

Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The thing is, in many communities hospitals, markets, drugstores, etc are within just a few minutes' drive. Generally speaking, Americans like their cars and the freedom and autonomy that driving a car to places offers.

Within a three minute drive of my house I have two different clinics from the two main hospitals in the area (urgent care clinics as well as doctors offices), a coffee shop, a beautiful grocery store stocked with plenty of fresh food, a drug store, several locally owned restaurants, a hardware store, the public library, two gyms, not to mention a pretty wide range of various smaller shops, locally owned. I live in a small town of about 3000 and it's a "bedroom community" (some would call it the suburbs) of a metro area of about 200,000. So if I want more amenities I drive about 15 minutes into the larger city. If I want more amenities than that, I can drive an hour and a half to Dallas, but I don't do that very often because there's no need.

It's just a different lifestyle - most Americans prefer to drive themselves around rather than using public transportation, though public transportation is available in all metro areas I know of.

Heck, whenever we visit Europe, my husband and I rent a car rather than relying on public transportation. We prefer driving ourselves wherever we want to go whenever we want to go there.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

26,948 posts, read 38,442,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Would you be suprised if I told you that there actually lives many american citizens in that Norwegian city

That's actually pretty cookie-cutter as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World