Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 06:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,710,121 times

Advertisements

Most suburbs here aren't that old to be mostly Victorian houses.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,421,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most suburbs here aren't that old to be mostly Victorian houses.
The ones around Boston did.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Boston's are unusually old, and the city is relatively small so a lot of old neighborhoods aren't part of the city proper.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,018,196 times
Quote:
Boston is just one tiny area of the east coast. Your average Northeast suburb looks like this https://goo.gl/maps/vQBBd We got newer developments here too, but most have houses attached to each other as land is a premium up in this part of the country. But, this particular neighborhood looks like it was built in the 1980s, pretty typical for my state's region

Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,421,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston's are unusually old, and the city is relatively small so a lot of old neighborhoods aren't part of the city proper.
I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Boston is just one tiny area of the east coast. Your average Northeast suburb looks like this https://goo.gl/maps/vQBBd We got newer developments here too, but most have houses attached to each other as land is a premium up in this part of the country. But, this particular neighborhood looks like it was built in the 1980s, pretty typical for my state's region
I know but surely a lot of the North-East has those hold housing stock suburbs?

Wow that housing development looks so boring! Where's the main road, shops???

Old 03-17-2015, 07:06 AM

Boston isn't small population-wise, but I wouldn't say older Boston suburbs are typical either.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,018,196 times
Quote:
I guess so.

I know but surely a lot of the North-East has those hold housing stock suburbs?

Wow that housing development looks so boring! Where's the main road, shops???
Yeah we have them too, but they aren't as common anymore. It's been 4 decades since 1940s and 1950s neighborhoods were built

The main road is right around the corner, lol. Suburbs here aren't endless tracts of land that are completely isolated. That's what rural communities here. A lot of suburbs here are only 5 minutes away from businesses.

https://goo.gl/maps/V6xyi

Main road is down the street from this neighborhood. 10 minutes of traffic and traffic lights and you're already in downtown https://goo.gl/maps/Q8HGm

Old 03-17-2015, 07:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,910,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And if you know Ariete, please tell us how it goes in Finland - when woman is allowed by law to quit working during pregnancy and how long is she allowed to stay home with a newborn?
30 working days before the due date, 75 days after birth. Then the father or mother may stay on an additional 54 working days leave. After this you're able to stay on nursing leave on government subsidies (around €600 a month) until the child turns 3 years. (I think normal time is until the child is around 1,5 yo).

When the mother (or father) returns to work, she/he has to be given the same position at work that she/he held before pregnancy leave.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,361,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh, sure.. it's "families that decide."
Families with money you mean. Because families without money don't decide anything.
As soon as the child turns three(!) months old, back to work mother goes. And child (just three months old) should go to the "day care." ( Unless, of course, grandparents are willing to help, but with American style of life, where the capital dictates the flow of people, older generations are often left behind in a different state\cities.)
So remind me please Kathryn how far in pregnancy "family decides" when woman should quit working?
(Family without money that is.)
And if you know Ariete, please tell us how it goes in Finland - when woman is allowed by law to quit working during pregnancy and how long is she allowed to stay home with a newborn?

The percentage of mothers who stay at home is rising. Currently it's 29 percent - and climbing - in the US. And of women with children under 12 months, 48 percent stay home with their children. And keep in mind that many mothers don't WANT to postpone their careers by staying at home with children - for instance, only six percent of women with masters degrees opt to stay home to raise children.
More women staying home with young kids
Knowledge Center | Catalyst.org

In Finland, 78 percent of women with children under 18 work outside the home - compared to 71 percent of women with children under 18 in the US. Fifty one percent of Finnish women with children under age 3 are working, which is nearly identical to the US rate.
Statistics Finland - 2. More mothers did not stay at home because of the recession

What I find ironic is that you and your buddy Ariete are complaining about two completely different things here. Ariete is complaining that TOO MANY MOTHERS in the US stay home with their kids, and that in Finland this isn't respected. And you're complaining that too few women are staying home with their kids. And the figures of both countries are both very similar.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,361,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
30 working days before the due date, 75 days after birth. Then the father or mother may stay on an additional 54 working days leave. After this you're able to stay on nursing leave on government subsidies (around €600 a month) until the child turns 3 years. (I think normal time is until the child is around 1,5 yo).

When the mother (or father) returns to work, she/he has to be given the same position at work that she/he held before pregnancy leave.
I thought you expressed disdain at the concept of stay at home moms, Ariete.

By the way, in the US, mothers (and fathers) working at companies with over 50 employees are protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act and must be given the same position at work when they return as well.

Fifty percent of Finnish mothers with kids under 3 don't stay home though, in spite of any subsidies. Same percentage of American moms.

And let me take the opportunity to point out that these subsidies are not "free." Finland's taxes are crushingly high. In fact, the percentage of taxes per GDP in Finland is nearly double that of the US and is one of the highest in the world.
List of countries by tax revenue as percentage of GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And hey, Finland even has a church tax! Woohoooo! Go, Jesus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World