Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,291,362 times

Advertisements

I work a weekend shift in the US. 3 days at 12 hours each. 4 days off. Some overtime available, with voluntary to mandatory overtime through most of the spring through summer. The busiest season. Guess some Europeans want to find fault with that?

What is it with Europeans mocking single family homes with a front lawn, tree-lined streets and back yards? When wealthy Europeans love a Villa with gardens and land? Is it because a single home with yard became available to the masses in the US? Even most of our cities have tree-lined streets through their neighborhoods? Many European cities have little green space in their dense cities?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,642,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why is it that Europeans always criticize American suburbia but rarely, if ever, have the same contempt towards suburbia in Canada and Australia; the only two other countries on this planet that have such an extensive suburban lifestyle?
See the Canadian vs Nordic cities thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,994,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I work a weekend shift in the US. 3 days at 12 hours each. 4 days off. Some overtime available, with voluntary to mandatory overtime through most of the spring through summer. The busiest season. Guess some Europeans want to find fault with that?

What is it with Europeans mocking single family homes with a front lawn, tree-lined streets and back yards? When wealthy Europeans love a Villa with gardens and land?
I know it sounds childish, but I think it's jealousy. I have yet to meet a single Brit in my area that hates suburbs. They may not like the constant driving everywhere, but most say they could never in their dreams afford to live a lifestyle like this back home

Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I know it sounds childish, but I think it's jealousy. I have yet to meet a single Brit in my area that hates suburbs. They may not like the constant driving everywhere, but most say they could never in their dreams afford to live a lifestyle like this back home
It does. I personally don't care for most American suburbs, I won't use as hyperbolic language, but I grew up in one. I'm not jealous at all. It seems like the OP chose what could be the least suburban area in his country he could find.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,550,799 times
Quote:
Why is it that Europeans always criticize American suburbia but rarely, if ever, have the same contempt towards suburbia in Canada and Australia; the only two other countries on this planet that have such an extensive suburban lifestyle?

http://goo.gl/maps/xGzzG

That's a suburb of Melbourne. Looks an awful lot like an American suburb, doesn't it? Seems like to me, if a country is able to support it, people seem to prefer suburban living if it's practical. Even the Brits that move here like living in American suburbia. It's one of those things people love to hate until they try it.
Idk... but i don't find Australia that similar to the USA, its basically just a big Hawaii and their suburbs aren't as open as American suburbs.

that street is way too narrow, small driveways, fences in the front yard, you wont find housing styles like that in America.

Canada is very similar, but even in Canada they are still slightly more compact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

What is it with Europeans mocking single family homes with a front lawn, tree-lined streets and back yards? When wealthy Europeans love a Villa with gardens and land? Is it because a single home with yard became available to the masses in the US? Even most of our cities have tree-lined streets through their neighborhoods? Many European cities have little green space in their dense cities?
Now that is the life, you can easily squeeze in some small trips during those 4 day vacations... you won't even need to take days off.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
See the Canadian vs Nordic cities thread
Read a few pages, and walked away with the impression that Canadian cities don't have the same negativity associated with them like American suburbs do.

Quote:
It does. I personally don't care for most American suburbs, I won't use as hyperbolic language, but I grew up in one. I'm not jealous at all. It seems like the OP chose what could be the least suburban area in his country he could find.
Why else knock something that you never lived in?

But anyway, Finnish suburbs

https://goo.gl/maps/C8KCu

Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Idk... but i don't find Australia that similar to the USA, its basically just a big Hawaii and their suburbs aren't as open as American suburbs.
You've mentioned it before, and I never understood why. Why is "openness" be an important attribute of suburbia? I get why some people want big houses and big lots but a look of wide open space, why would that matter? IMO, sounds a bit unattractive, usually from not enough trees in the front. Wide roads mean a lot of ugly asphalt.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,291,362 times
Quote:
The OP used this word for US suburbs and many city neighborhoods I'm sure.

Dystopia meaning- (anti-utopia)
  1. is an imaginary community or society that is undesirable
  2. an imaginary place where people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives
  3. An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.
That is a strong word meant to be entirely demeaning? Not merely a preference?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

that street is way too narrow, small driveways, fences in the front yard, you wont find housing styles like that in America.

Canada is very similar, but even in Canada they are still slightly more compact.

Now that is the life, you can easily squeeze in some small trips during those 4 day vacations... you won't even need to take days off.
I don't know where you live exactly, invincible, but here in PA all the new suburbs are crammed in like the ones in Australia are, and most of the old ones are not spread out and have streets as narrow as the one I depicted. In Texas, the new developments from 2000 to now the houses are very close together.

Quote:
You've mentioned it before, and I never understood why. Why is "openness" be an important attribute of suburbia? I get why some people want big houses and big lots but a look of wide open space, why would that matter? IMO, sounds a bit unattractive, usually from not enough trees in the front. Wide roads mean a lot of ugly asphalt.
Agreed. I don't understand it, either. But, that's his preference. I like the setup we have here in PA

Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,550,799 times
Quote:
Idk its just a nice atmosphere in my opinion. wide roads are nice because you can easily drive down the road with parked cars and not worry about hitting anyone...

I hate those neighborhoods where when you see an oncoming car you have to pull into an empty parking spot so they can get by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World