Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 PM

3,979 posts, read 6,787,315 times

Advertisements

The people from which country can speak English in a more "natural" way, without sounding foreign?

I have heard many people saying that Brazilians can speak American English very well in the United States, in a degree that many Americans don't perceive any foreign accent.

What other people can speak English more naturally, without foreign accent?

Is that true that all Arabs speak English with that peculiar accent that we see in the movies?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
Well, Australians & Brits speaking English in America sound "foreign"

Regarding non-English-speaking groups, most Dutch speak English in the most understandable unaffected manner, i've encountered a few and didnt realize they're visitors from Netherlands until quite deep into communication (they do quite a good job with the standard American accent, i mean)

I have encountered many Brazilians here in America (were here for various reasons be it study or travel), and you can surely detect the accent..of course depends on each person, their knack of language, their individual efforts, etc etc

Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,082 times
Scandinavians for me speak impeccable English. This is reflected by their mega success in the English speaking world's entertainment (music and film) business. Many Scandinavian footballers who play in the Premier League for a length of time end up sounding English, e.g. Peter Schmeichel ended up with a Mancunian accent after playing for Man Utd for so long.

Perhaps 'Scandinavian English' should be created, as it spoken so well in Norway, Sweden and Denmark?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM

37 posts, read 151,980 times
I'll offer Canadians. Eh?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Well, Australians & Brits speaking English in America sound "foreign"

Regarding non-English-speaking groups, most Dutch speak English in the most understandable unaffected manner, i've encountered a few and didnt realize they're visitors from Netherlands until quite deep into communication (they do quite a good job with the standard American accent, i mean)

I have encountered many Brazilians here in America (were here for various reasons be it study or travel), and you can surely detect the accent..of course depends on each person, their knack of language, their individual efforts, etc etc
I have heard that before but I personally can detect a Dutch accent from a mile away I'm sure I have it too :/

Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM

3,979 posts, read 6,787,315 times
Well, about Brazilians, one case that I know was my cousin. She lived in the USA for one year. After 10 months living in Arkansas, she traveled to New York. Once there, she was asked several times if she was from Arkansas. Nobody asked if she was foreign, everyone asked if she was from Arkansas... She was speaking English with the Arkansas accent.

I know a couple other similar cases, and this is why I started the thread....

Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Scandinavians for me speak impeccable English. This is reflected by their mega success in the English speaking world's entertainment (music and film) business. Many Scandinavian footballers who play in the Premier League for a length of time end up sounding English, e.g. Peter Schmeichel ended up with a Mancunian accent after playing for Man Utd for so long.

Perhaps 'Scandinavian English' should be created, as it spoken so well in Norway, Sweden and Denmark?
I agree with that. Despite the stereotypes, most Scandinavians spoke with an almost English accent. I mean of course they still had their accents, but they spoke clearly and pronounced things correctly for the most part.

In Europe I have to say Spain, Italy and then France are not good at all.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,272 times
I think the English are by far the best, even if we have an accent its still an English one...

Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree with that. Despite the stereotypes, most Scandinavians spoke with an almost English accent. I mean of course they still had their accents, but they spoke clearly and pronounced things correctly for the most part.

In Europe I have to say Spain, Italy and then France are not good at all.
I think that those from Germanic countries would have an easier time speaking English than those from countries where Romance languages are the primary languages. English is a Germanic language after all, but with heavy Norman and Latin influence.

I have actually been teaching myself Swedish. I find it far easier to learn and speak than French, which I learnt at school for many years.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Arabic speakers in the Middle East have no trouble with English phonemes and the rhythm of the language, so they sound nearly perfect as soon as they pick up the vocabulary and idioms. They are very proficient at memorization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World