Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,611,492 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm looking for some info on teaching english abroad, but it seems as though all of the programs require you to pay a lot of fees, and they're volunteer. Is there any that are completely paid for? Anyone have experience teaching english in a foreign country? I'm actually open to go almost anywhere, so suggestions of countries would be great as well. Thanks! wikiwiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM

43,906 posts, read 44,680,981 times
I taught for one year at a university in Guayaquil, Ecuador some years ago. The requirement was that I had a M.A. in TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages). I did not have to pay any fees to get that job and I did get a nice local salary while I was there.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM

476 posts, read 1,137,049 times
You can earn a living teaching English abroad. S Korea generally pays the most for only having a bachelor's degree. If you have teaching credentials then UAE, China, and Libya pay quite well. Though, you many not be interested in some of those options due to the political and religious climates. Japan has higher salaries but a higher cost of living as well.
Check out Dave's ESL; it has a ton of good information on the forums.
If you try a search, you'll see this has been discussed a few times already. Here's one link:
Where to teach English?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,253,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Hey all, I'm looking for some info on teaching english abroad, but it seems as though all of the programs require you to pay a lot of fees, and they're volunteer. Is there any that are completely paid for? Anyone have experience teaching english in a foreign country? I'm actually open to go almost anywhere, so suggestions of countries would be great as well. Thanks! wikiwiki

Probably would help if you spoke the native language of the country you want to teach in, would help you on the job and unless you go somewhere that English is already quite common (thus probably not that much demand, low or no pay...) you will need the native language after hours, unless you just want to sit on your butt in your rented room...

Besides that knowing the local language at least to some degree will definitely help with your social/cultural "acceptability" to the host people.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 PM

43,906 posts, read 44,680,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Probably would help if you spoke the native language of the country you want to teach in, would help you on the job and unless you go somewhere that English is already quite common (thus probably not that much demand, low or no pay...) you will need the native language after hours, unless you just want to sit on your butt in your rented room...

Besides that knowing the local language at least to some degree will definitely help with your social/cultural "acceptability" to the host people.
It is not necessary to know the local language before going as long you plan on taking local language lessons upon arrival. Some employers will give free local language lessons to their newly hired English teachers.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,255,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
The fact that one speaks a language, doesn't mean that you are capable of teaching others how to speak it. Do you have any credentials? Most reputable places are going to pay you a salary and expenses will also require some credentials.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 AM

512 posts, read 1,186,777 times
You can teach English anywhere in the world since you are a native speaker. Just put some ads in local newspapers wherever you are and you'll find students. English is needed everywhere, I know my friends in Poland used to take classes with native speakers and you even don't have to speak another language unless you want to be hired by some school.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,885,132 times
Here in Saudi Arabia .. english teachers are paid really well .. quite in demand lately .. if interested, try and gather some solid information for the latter .. good luck

Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,255,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
You can teach English anywhere in the world since you are a native speaker. Just put some ads in local newspapers wherever you are and you'll find students. English is needed everywhere, I know my friends in Poland used to take classes with native speakers and you even don't have to speak another language unless you want to be hired by some school.
Sure, but this doesn't address the question of whether you, I, whoever has the skills to teach our native language to others.

If it's just about going to a foreign place and advertising oneself as an English teacher, sure.....easy as eatin' a Big Mac. But understanding how to teach a language so that students get their money's worth is something else entirely.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM

857 posts, read 1,426,512 times
If you are looking to get into teaching without getting credentials first than Asia is for you. Lots of countries will take you on just for being a Native Speaker with a B.A. Japan China and Korea are pretty much always looking for people, just be sure to check on how reputable the school is as there are plenty of scammers out there. If you want to teach in Europe I've been told you will need some form of credential either a TESOL or the CELTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World