Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Again offices should be kept colder than usual because people who get hot cannot take off clothes or layers of skin.
There's a fine line between cool and cold, and there's no reason for an office to be kept cold.

I worked at a place with a bunch of rguys that liked the temp set to 66 degrees. I have arthritis in my fingers, and I was in pain every day trying to work in that temperature. I finally said something to my boss, and he set the thermostate to 71. Still cool for me, but at least not painful. The guys complained a little at first, but got over it pretty quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,907,029 times
Quote:
Again offices should be kept colder than usual because people who get hot cannot take off clothes or layers of skin.
You're probably a man, right?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,005,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chai26 View Post
I recently heard of a company (corporation/office jobs) making it against the rules for women to wear pants.
This is a rule in a lot of banks and lawyer's offices.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,485,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I'm pretty darn sure it is illegal to require women to only wear skirts. .

No, it's not illegal. If a company has a dress code, it's your choice to decline to work there if you don't agree with it.

I, for one, would LOVE to see appropriate length (meaning middle of knee) skirts or skirt-suits back in the work place, as well as suits/ties for men. It makes for a much more professional atmosphere.

I'm now going to hide under the table to avoid the flames!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 AM

11,325 posts, read 18,946,384 times
Ironically, in a way at a past workplace of mine we had the reverse problem.

On "casual Fridays", the women could wear capri pants and uncollared shirts and be quite "casual", but for the men "casual" was essentially ditch the jacket and tie but leave everything else as is. A lot of us guys were upset with this, especially in the summer.

Quote:
My experience (as Cricket Factor noted) is that the men tended to be "hot blooded" and the women "cold" all the time (and this even goes on in my own house between me/my son vs. my wife and daughter). But unlike some others, I agree with your point to some extent, though it shouldn't be made so cold that some have to essentially wear a coat.

We had the "66" vs. "72" debate in my old office, what we did is have it at "69" or "70" and let those with their own offices open their windows a crack if they kept their doors closed. While I side more with YaFace than Cricket_Factor and annerk on this one, 66 is almost what you'd set a heat thermostat to at night when you close, it's a little too low for day-to-day.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-10-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is a rule in a lot of banks and lawyer's offices.
Bull. I've worked for three law firms and four banks as well as a very conservative insurance company over the years, and not a single one had any such type of rule--even back 30 years ago. In every case the dress code was "appropriate business attire." One of them was specific that if women wore pants they also had to wear a jacket, which I had no problem with, considering men were also required to wear a jacket.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 AM

615 posts, read 1,695,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
No, it's not illegal. If a company has a dress code, it's your choice to decline to work there if you don't agree with it.

I, for one, would LOVE to see appropriate length (meaning middle of knee) skirts or skirt-suits back in the work place, as well as suits/ties for men. It makes for a much more professional atmosphere.

I'm now going to hide under the table to avoid the flames!
I probably should reword what I wrote. There isn't anything on the books that specifically says that requiring women to wear suits is illegal. But there are laws on the books regarding sexual discrimination. Perhaps noone has actually taken it to court yet, but it isn't a hard stretch to make. Requiring women to wear something different from a man, particularly a skirt is sexual discrimination. Requiring men and women to wear suits of a conservative nature is much more appropriate and wouldn't lead to any lawsuits.

I certainly like the look of a skirt suit, I won't deny it, but I will say that a skirt is much less comfortable particularly in harsher weather so there is a very legit arguement there!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,686,574 times
I find the whole idea of clothing in general is religious and therefore illegal. Look at tribes living in warm climates, they have no need for clothing or for very little of it. Women should definitely be able to go topless, because a lot of cultures don't see that as taboo.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,091,425 times
Quote:
Ugh, where I work not only is the heat cranked up but there are space heaters all over the damn place. We have to wear suits and I get so hot I get sick (and I'm a female). People assume that since it's winter in Michigan everyone needs to be in an environment of 90 degrees.

When it's just me and my boss we'll turn off the space heaters and we'll actually open the windows. Ah, bliss.

Not all women are cold all of the time. I'm always hot. My entire family is like that. The temp in their house never ever goes above 60, even in the winter. Maybe it's because we're northern Russians? And my husband is always cold.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,263,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There's a fine line between cool and cold, and there's no reason for an office to be kept cold.

I worked at a place with a bunch of rguys that liked the temp set to 66 degrees. I have arthritis in my fingers, and I was in pain every day trying to work in that temperature. I finally said something to my boss, and he set the thermostate to 71. Still cool for me, but at least not painful. The guys complained a little at first, but got over it pretty quick.
Sure there is, we had a large image setter at work that had to be kept a 70 degrees or it would shut down and give an error message "Out of temperature operating range" And no it could not be moved..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment