Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM

84 posts, read 268,058 times

Advertisements

I recently heard of a company (corporation/office jobs) making it against the rules for women to wear pants. I've seen women walking into work wearing skirts while its 10 degrees outside. Besides the weather factor, I think its insulting to be made to only wear skirts! Maybe I took too many women's lib. classes, but I think a nice pair of slacks is fine for women to wear to work. Why is this even an issue? Seems terribly out dated to me. I get that skirts are more "dressy", but even Hillary Clinton wears pant suits! If I wanted to show leg, I would, but don't make it mandatory! Anyone else heard of this? Should be illegal imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,467 times
I like the idea. If men have to dress in shirt and tie, women should have to wear skirts. The only women against this policy are the gigantic ones who have to turn sideways to fit through the door anyways.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,919,881 times
Many managers don't realize that if you trace the sources of such conservative ideas, you find that they are religious in nature. I once worked in a retail environment that required all women wear pantyhose. When I asked why, I was told that some customers think that women's legs are 'unclean'. When I pointed out that that was a Biblical idea and they could not impose religious beliefs as company policy, they backed down. And yes, when the policy is based on religious beliefs, the policy is illegal.

It is also illegal to have disparity in policies for men and women. Giving one gender wide latitude such as 'must wear professional attire at all times' while the opposite gender has very narrow guidelines describing various garments like button-down shirts and ties, is biased and discriminatory.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM

438 posts, read 947,681 times
Not cool. I'm cold-natured...I needs muh pants! Heck, this week I wore fluffy pajama bottoms under my slacks because my workplace was chillier than I preferred.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,085,653 times
A tie and shirt do not equate to a skirt. In some places it is damn cold. I believe in dressing nicely for work but you can look good in a tailored outfit with a jacket and pants--just like a man.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times
If they required women to wear pants, dress shirt, jacket, and tie like the men, no problem. But to require skirts is wrong, and quite possibly against the law unless they are also requiring the men to wear them.

I agree with Kodaka, it's probably got some conservative religious basis to it, and I'm assuming is challengeable in court.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 AM

302 posts, read 886,079 times
A tie and a suit is considered business attire for men. A nice suit is ALSO considered business attire for women. Beyond that, I don't see how a company can forbid a certain style of professional attire for one gender.

I think one of the men should start showing up in skirts....see what they do then.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
A tie and a suit is considered business attire for men. A nice suit is ALSO considered business attire for women. Beyond that, I don't see how a company can forbid a certain style of professional attire for one gender.
Women's "nice suits" are sold both with pants and skirts.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,809,840 times
The policy unless for an exempt organization will soon be changed thanks to litigation. I guarantee it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,955,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chai26 View Post
I recently heard of a company (corporation/office jobs) making it against the rules for women to wear pants. I've seen women walking into work wearing skirts while its 10 degrees outside. Besides the weather factor, I think its insulting to be made to only wear skirts! Maybe I took too many women's lib. classes, but I think a nice pair of slacks is fine for women to wear to work. Why is this even an issue? Seems terribly out dated to me. I get that skirts are more "dressy", but even Hillary Clinton wears pant suits! If I wanted to show leg, I would, but don't make it mandatory! Anyone else heard of this? Should be illegal imo.
Sounds like a company that's stuck in the 1950s. Weird. It's sexist if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment