Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Let them take umbrage. I see them as not being masculine. If they have a problem with it, they can take it up with me, and we'll have ourselves a donnybrook.
They don't have a problem with it, but the mere thought of you at 5'6" tall and 130 lbs having a Donnybrook with even one burly Highlander wearing a kilt is excruciatingly funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:29 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
They don't have a problem with it, but the mere thought of you at 5'6" tall and 130 lbs having a Donnybrook with even one burly Highlander wearing a kilt is excruciatingly funny.
Heck, I'd pay to see that!

Regardless of TKramar's feelings about skirts, the fact remains that gender-specific dress codes are antiquated and impractical. And I'm no "feminist" either, just somebody who was raised with a sense of individual freedom... I have no problem following basic dress guidelines (and often have), but nobody's forcing me to wear a freakin' skirt and pantyhose every day.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-09-2010 at 03:38 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 05:59 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Call this man feminine to his face... I dare ya.
Bruhahaha...Thanks for the laugh this AM, I'm from the PNW and have been to most of the Pacific Rim Countries and most wear a "wrap skirt" of some sort every day depending on the weather.

Just google some of these guys!

Polynesians
Fijians
Samoans (take a look at all who play football!)
Maoris
Indonesians

The list goes on and on, they might call it something different like sarong or Pareo etc. but they are so comfortable and utiliarian - they can be worn so many differnt ways!

Again gizmo, thanks for the entertainment - I needed a laugh today as I face another day of endlessly searching for jobs that aren't there.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I don't like it when the "man" tells me to shave my beard and cut my hair. Fight the power!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I don't like it when the "man" tells me to shave my beard and cut my hair. Fight the power!
I find that a bit silly too, unless maybe you're working around food or heavy machinery... if you can keep long hair & a beard neat, I don't see what the problem is?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Again gizmo, thanks for the entertainment - I needed a laugh today as I face another day of endlessly searching for jobs that aren't there.
Glad I could provide some laughter, and keep your head up... you'll find a job eventually!

We have a fairly large Samoan population here (no pun intended), and they couldn't be any more masculine - at least in appearance, although quite often they're sweet puppy-dogs underneath. And THIS straight woman doesn't find anything "feminine" about their skirts... I actually think they're incredibly sexy, and those cultural dances make me swoon like a teenage girl.

That's it - I'm moving to the island of Samoa! LOL

Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Glad I could provide some laughter, and keep your head up... you'll find a job eventually!

We have a fairly large Samoan population here (no pun intended), and they couldn't be any more masculine - at least in appearance, although quite often they're sweet puppy-dogs underneath. And THIS straight woman doesn't find anything "feminine" about their skirts... I actually think they're incredibly sexy, and those cultural dances make me swoon like a teenage girl.

That's it - I'm moving to the island of Samoa! LOL
Heaven's my...I thought I was the only one here who likes Pacific men. You just opened up a can of worms. I just finished watching Spartacus Season 1. So if you like Kiwis I recommend that series, and check out Manu Bennet as Crixus..he steals the entire show..forget Sparty.

Hope you know Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" is Samoan.

But back to the subject, plenty of men both in Scotland and in the Pacific who are anything but "feminine" or "transgender." I speak from personal experience.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Heck, I'd pay to see that!

Regardless of TKramar's feelings about skirts, the fact remains that gender-specific dress codes are antiquated and impractical. And I'm no "feminist" either, just somebody who was raised with a sense of individual freedom... I have no problem following basic dress guidelines (and often have), but nobody's forcing me to wear a freakin' skirt and pantyhose every day.
While I agree with you from a philosophical perspective, the bottom line is that a private company has every right to set a dress code if they wish. If people don't like it, they can choose to work elsewhere. Especially if that information is know to a person before they accept the job. Its kind of like taking a job at Hooters and then complaining that they make you dress like a bit of a bimbo.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I suspect you can take anything to extremes. Wearing a tie is sexual discrimination? Give me a break...
If one gender has to do it and the other doesn't, then that's what it is. The cultural trainings of individuals doesn't change the reality of it.

Quote:
think we have reached a place in the United States yet where employees can make their own rules. Heaven help us all when the time comes when this happens. As it is, employers have trouble coping with government regulations and unions, many companies solve the problem by moving off shore where the general population is still willing to work for their pay check. There are many people here, now in the United States that would gladly meet an employers dress code with a smile on their face, just to have a job. Some so called 'workers' are pathetic.
The rub, I suppose, is that a willingness to dress a certain way rarely qualifies an individual to a job. I also think it's interesting how cultural trends apply in some areas of business, but not others.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
With all the objection to dresss codes from people who rebell aginst anyhtig require;I guess we might see unifroms more and more which will pass any court testing. Then hear people scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment