Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 AM

1,480 posts, read 3,965,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
all of your blah blah blahing leads me to believe you are on the lam -your dislike of paperwork, the police, registering your car, selling crap on the street.

bet you havent explored other parts of the world have ya? what the OP says is true you go elsewhere and live for a time and then come back and you see the diffrences in "freedoms" self survial/self suffincy is frowned on in America

I say we follow not lead as a group in the USA and thats why we are such sheeple in so many ways ....poltics, religion and schooling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,500,308 times
Default Careful there buddy!

I hope you've done a little more research on the dream job with free apt, free plane tickets, in Asia. Sounds an awful lot like a scam to me. With unemployment in a host of English-speaking countries where it is I'm sure a company could entice new hires without all of that. I sure hope you've not sent them the last of your savings as a "registration fee" .

I know it's tough to survive in the U.S. during this recession but I'd bet it would be 20X's tougher in a foreign country with no green card.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,429,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
It looks like I will probably start off in Korea to stack up some cash. So instead of Sushi I should have said Gimbap I guess.

I might also start off in Taiwan or Japan. I'm still figuring it out. If I have to pay for my own plane ticket I can probably figure out a way to come up on some cash.

You've already worked in Korea right? Me too, I worked in Pusan for a while. Just go for it!

I would recomend teaching outside of Seoul. It seems like many people have bad experiences in Seoul. The Koreans there tend to have much more of a "Pali Pali!" attitude and it can be a bit unsavory.

I don't know what kind of person you are, but for me, Seoul is far too busy, loud, insane and fast paced. It's a sensory overload. Try Pusan, Daegu, Gwangju or Daejeon.

I was in the same position as you are three years ago. Couldn't save a dime at my job and no prospects for the future. I went to Korea the first time with no job. I borrowed the money for my ticket and stayed in a love motel, in the outskirts of Seoul, for a month while I interviewed for jobs. It worked out, as I scored a position in a private foreign language high school first time around! But then I made the mistake of starting a relationship with my female supervisor, who turned out to have a severe personality disorder, and it pretty much ruined my time there. (My fault, i know). She controlled my life, and made it hell, after I broke up with her. It was a little traumatic for me, as she was pretty much stalking me in my free time. She even tried to relocate to America when I left, in an attempt to follow me. Crazy. I was in a suburb of Seoul.

If I went back I would definitely avoid Seoul, if for nothing but to avoid the very minuscule chance that I would cross paths with her. I would definitely go for Pusan, Daegu, Gwangju or Daejeon the second time around. If I could avoid Korea altogether if I went back, then I would. But you cant beat the package and the ability to save the money that is possible to save, for someone with no resources at home. I'd love to try Japan, but I think I would just 'live' there, without being able to save much. I am considering Thailand, for the better quality of life, while I take some graduate course prerequisites online. As long as I'm moving forward, I wouldn't care much about saving money.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I hope you've done a little more research on the dream job with free apt, free plane tickets, in Asia. Sounds an awful lot like a scam to me. With unemployment in a host of English-speaking countries where it is I'm sure a company could entice new hires without all of that. I sure hope you've not sent them the last of your savings as a "registration fee" .

I know it's tough to survive in the U.S. during this recession but I'd bet it would be 20X's tougher in a foreign country with no green card.
I understand that this comment comes from a place of simply not knowing the score, but the exact path the OP is following is a tested, tried and true option for any non-felon native english speaker with a college degree. Its a huge industry, not a scam, but certainly not a 'dream job' either. Its just a realistic option. I've done it myself.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
You must be nuts! Jesus Christ, man. Get control of yourself for God's sake. This country is trying to recover from the worst presidential administration in the history of this country, one run by Republicans. We have been in the Dubya Dark Ages for 8 agonizing years. Where have you been? Takes time to undo and revive after that farce. Republicans stink! Conservatives suck! Red states were WRONG! WMDs were NOT FOUND! Bush LIED! Cheney LIED! 1 TRILLION DOLLARS WASTED ON A FAILED IDEOLOGICAL WAR. The domestic agenda was ignored ACROSS THE BOARD for 8 years! States that went for McCain are STILL DRAGGING THE COUNTRY DOWN! Takes PATIENCE to recover from this catastrophy.

You must want to leave for some other reason like perhaps the man that you voted for didn't win. Sour grapes much?
Wow. Someone needs to get a hold of themselves . If you seriously think that you 'won' in the election, then your the one who needs a reality check. The plutocracy still rules, and you aren't them. When most of the country wakes up to realize that the battle isn't between the republicans and the deomcrats, but between the haves and the have-nots, then perhaps some progress will be made. And the have-nots have not had anyone in office for a long long time, including now. Ron Paul was our best chance for that.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,707,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I am totally broke. I'm in debt. No car. No job. I have almost no money in the bank. As I wait to go overseas, I spend my days eating cheap food, excercising, working on art, and keeping myself busy doing anything that does not cost money.

The only reason why I can go over there is because I found a gig that will pay to fly me out there and set me up in a free apartment. I'm just waiting for the paperwork to go through now.

I applied at about a hundred places in the US with no luck, been unemployed for months. Then I started applying overseas and got hired within two days.

Good idea!! Send our broke, in debt, jobless, lazy Americans to other countries. That should definitely help unemployment. May I suggest Africa or South America. You can make like $1500 a year working full time. Or maybe we can switch you out with some of those people dying to try to reach the U.S. illegally who are willing to work and you can go live in a shack with no electricity or running water for the rest of your life. We can call it Workers for Lazy Bums program. Maybe it's just California that sucks so bad.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,973,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Good idea!! Send our broke, in debt, jobless, lazy Americans to other countries. That should definitely help unemployment. May I suggest Africa or South America. You can make like $1500 a year working full time. Or maybe we can switch you out with some of those people dying to try to reach the U.S. illegally who are willing to work and you can go live in a shack with no electricity or running water for the rest of your life. We can call it Workers for Lazy Bums program. Maybe it's just California that sucks so bad.
I don't know where your statement comes from. OP has exhausted his options and is looking to find work to support himself. I doubt that "lazy" is an adjective that befits the OP in this case. "Lazy" are those who come up with every excuse not to up and go and live off handouts. Uprooting yourself from an environment that is comfortable to go to a place of unknowns to make a living and survive is a courageous move.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:27 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,272,295 times
Txrunner, you are an idiot!!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,272,295 times
bibit612, I agree with you. It is not like the original poster does not want to work. You are right, it does take courage to go to another country to strive to make a better life for yourself.

Txrunner is comparing the OP who does want to work and make a living to people that are lazy and does not want to work. It is like comparing oranges to apples.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,716,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I don't know where your statement comes from. OP has exhausted his options and is looking to find work to support himself. I doubt that "lazy" is an adjective that befits the OP in this case. "Lazy" are those who come up with every excuse not to up and go and live off handouts. Uprooting yourself from an environment that is comfortable to go to a place of unknowns to make a living and survive is a courageous move.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment