Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,081,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Precisely. Well said.

Also, Free thinking is healthy and is necessary for the preservation of freedom. Stifled thought leads to loss of rights and loss of quality of life at the hands of those to whom you have given the power to influence your thoughts and opinions. Nationalism stifles free thought, directly.
Yup. Lots of Americans think that being "patriotic" means not complaining at all and just putting up with every messed up thing that happens. That's basically what TxRunner is saying, that if you love America, don;t say anything bad about it.

It's total BS. If you really love America, you will fight for change and open your mouth about injustices and things that are not working.

Having a see/hear/speak no evil philosophy will not solve anything. It just lets problems linger and grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:09 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,684,214 times
I'm getting out of this F'in place. People make me sick watching t.v., eating their big macs, driving down the road. It's a big trash dump and I'm leavin' you guys behind to live in misery. I'm broke, ran up a bunch of credit cards and i'm sick of it. The government is installing death panels, presidents have less hair than they used to in the past and nobody likes beards anymore. I'M TIRED OF IT!!! You are an idiot if you think differently, so stop being Captain Americans. Let's have mass riots and burn everything. We are the richest country so we should be living more extravagant lives than anyone. It's our right!! America sucks!! Peace Out!!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
Basically people have to rememebr that things like entitlements is what enslves people because it takes away their freedom and binds them tpo the person giving them waht others eraned.I have nothing against the OP leaving to where ever he wants. people around the workld have done this for centuries.Maybe this is what he needs i don;t know. I do know that INo it does take that much to make it here but I see alot satrtign early i life not trying very heard and seeting a trend in their life. Maybe getting away would motivate the perosn especailly getting to a simpler life as this is a very indivdualistic country and very motivate.If you need a parent type governamnt to run your life the USA is not foir you really.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,405,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
If you are saying the U.S. is bad, compared to what? How is it going down the drain. There has always been corruption, so why does it suddenly bother you now? I just don't get how this type of complaining really accomplishes anything.
This is an extremely broad question that would take much more energy to answer it, in the detail that it would require, than I have. Also, I think its zooming out way too much given the original topic of the thread.

But to get a good answer, ask any one of the millions of newly unemployed. Also, you could poll the average American as to whether their quality of life has increased or decreased over the last 15-20 years.

Maybe someone else wants to spend a time giving the answer that would be required to adequately respond...I would say that its very obvious to anyone paying attention to anything in the world in the last few years. Additonally, you could compare and contrast the world quality of life index all day long. The USA ranks 13. So, according to the 2007 (or 2008?) index, there are 13 countries that are better. And many more that are worse. But then you have to take into account what they are using to determine this. Maybe a happiness index is more appropriate. But then that has to be adjusted for race and class, at least in this country. So you see, our question is way to broad and complicated...

This is why the Ops opinion needs to be taken more seriously. Its HIS experience in a country that offers a wide variety of permanent pitfalls and opportunity.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Are the people who are getting intoxicated on the rise? Is everyone getting intoxicated? What are they getting intoxicated on? I'm not really sure what t.v. watching has to do with anything. Other countries watch as much t.v. as we do. If you are saying the U.S. is bad, compared to what? How is it going down the drain. There has always been corruption, so why does it suddenly bother you now? I just don't get how this type of complaining really accomplishes anything.
Because all of these things are getting much worse man. They are at the point that they are actually creating real problems, instead of just being minor nuisances as they were in the past. It's a matter of degree. It's not a black and white issue whether or not it's happening at all.

That comment about people getting intoxicated and watching TV had a context. I was making the point that most Americans seem to be extremely apathetic and complacent about what's happening in this country. As long as they are comfortable, they will just relax and ignore the problems.

Compare it to other countries. In most Asian or South American countries i've been to. If the government is corrupt and not serving the people well. The people will have enormous, intense protests and oftentimes overthrow the government with a revolution. But in the US, the people seem to have an attitude that the government is all powerful and they cannot and should not stand up to it.

I think this stuff has all been covered in this thread already. And i'm sure if you read and keep up on national and international news you know exacty what i'm talking about on these issues. It's becoming part of the public conciousness at this point.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,560,274 times
Quote:
By the way I'm not originally from the U.S., neither is my wife. We both know how hard it is to get here and for some people to take that for granted is very sad. I would never trash our home countries or the U.S., but Americans seem to think it is the cool thing to do.
In some circles telling the truth is not considered "trashing." Acknowledging problems are not trashing America. Ideally it is the first step towards correction.

When there is trash it is best to take it out. If folks cannot call trash what it is and then work towards removing it, they will forever live in garbage. Saying what is wrong with America is not trashing it -- it is the first step in removing the trash. Most problem solution methods begin identifying the problems, making public acknowledgment, making corrections and then moving on.

Failing to acknowledge America's problems and then trying to plaster "patriotic" bull sheet over the problems only enhances and maintains the problems.

Quote:

We just watched the documentary "Which Way Home" which was very sad. It's about Central Americans, mainly citizens of Honduras and Guatemala trying to make it to the United States. Many of them die along the way and come to the U.S. just to try to improve their life any way possible. I bet many of them would give anything to trade places with the OP. In many ways they are more patriotic about the U.S. than we are, they would love to consider themselves American.
How Quaint.

Do you any background on the role and goals of the US and its corporations in making the mess that is and has been Central America?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,744,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Third, being blindly patriotic, to the detriment of your/our quality of life and what is going on in this country in general, will only serve to pull this country down the drain as fast as the powers that be will allow it to disintegrate. Will you be reminding us that 'people have died for this country' up and until we are all much further into corporate slavery and the rights of labor are eroded to twice what they are even now? Whats the limit to your willingness not to question?? Why do you think that the government has nothing but your best interest at heart?? This country was founded by individuals who questioned like many of us do, and will be helped into the gutter by the blind patriots and those that don't question. You have to fight for your quality of life, and the maintenance of your freedoms, or else they will one day be gone. The OP is calling it like he sees it and experiences it. Theres nothing wrong with that.
Thank you..thank you..thank you. Wonderfully said. One of the best paragraphs I have seen on this forum!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,405,522 times
Quote:
I'm getting out of this F'in place. People make me sick watching t.v., eating their big macs, driving down the road. It's a big trash dump and I'm leavin' you guys behind to live in misery. I'm broke, ran up a bunch of credit cards and i'm sick of it. The government is installing death panels, presidents have less hair than they used to in the past and nobody likes beards anymore. I'M TIRED OF IT!!! You are an idiot if you think differently, so stop being Captain Americans. Let's have mass riots and burn everything. We are the richest country so we should be living more extravagant lives than anyone. It's our right!! America sucks!! Peace Out!!
Intelligent response. Your sure your not in middle school? That seems to be what you interpreted, and not what was actually said.

That type of response is typical for people with your perspective, and what makes it difficult for people with our perspective to take you seriously and not resent that you have any input at all into the way this country is run.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,684,214 times
This is basically what the OP said and you guys are hailing him as some kind of untouchable genius. Some of it is almost exactly what he said!!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically people have to rememebr that things like entitlements is what enslves people because it takes away their freedom and binds them tpo the person giving them waht others eraned.I have nothing against the OP leaving to where ever he wants. people around the workld have done this for centuries.Maybe this is what he needs i don;t know. I do know that INo it does take that much to make it here but I see alot satrtign early i life not trying very heard and seeting a trend in their life. Maybe getting away would motivate the perosn especailly getting to a simpler life as this is a very indivdualistic country and very motivate.If you need a parent type governamnt to run your life the USA is not foir you really.
I would disagree. I think the USA is a parent type government and that's what I dont like about it. There are rules and regulations and laws on absolutely everything. Unfortunately, they do not benefit the American people. They benefit the ultra-rich and powerful for the most part.

Maybe it's really easy to live in Texas? You Texans seem to be really satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment