Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,081,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Sounds so Hemingwayesc, if that is a word! Actually sounds great. When I was in Europe there was not as much emphasis on cars, work and such. At least you will get free healthcare just in case you are diagnosed with something, and not have to lose your mind and your house to live! I am artsy too, so maybe I can go? Just kidding! Goodluck.
Go for it

I did this before. I moved to Pusan, South Korea with 200 dollars in my pocket and it turned into the most epic and amazing experience of my life. Then I went over to China for a while, then Japan, and then I went back to the US.

And coming back to the US proved to be a big mistake. I walked right into a world of unemployment and low paying jobs that won't even give me full time hours. The job market in the US is ALL about what is good for the employer and the employee is just to "just deal with it".

After living in Asia it was really hard to get used to the US again. The US just felt so boring and mediocre compared to the 24/7 life of big Asian cities and the more active culture with life on the streets.

And they call the US "The land of the free". But the fact is that in most Asian countries the people enjoy a much more free lifestyle with much less rules and regulations in just about every single area of life. Even in China, with it's totalitarian government, the people enjoy lots of personal freedoms that we Americans have given up.

The US is just a terrible place to live for someone who is broke and trying to come up. It's becoming almost impossible these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Even in China, with it's totalitarian government, the people enjoy lots of personal freedoms that we Americans have given up.

For example?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,233,524 times
Quote:
Go for it

I did this before. I moved to Pusan, South Korea with 200 dollars in my pocket and it turned into the most epic and amazing experience of my life. Then I went over to China for a while, then Japan, and then I went back to the US.

And coming back to the US proved to be a big mistake. I walked right into a world of unemployment and low paying jobs that won't even give me full time hours. The job market in the US is ALL about what is good for the employer and the employee is just to "just deal with it".

After living in Asia it was really hard to get used to the US again. The US just felt so boring and mediocre compared to the 24/7 life of big Asian cities and the more active culture with life on the streets.

And they call the US "The land of the free". But the fact is that in most Asian countries the people enjoy a much more free lifestyle with much less rules and regulations in just about every single area of life. Even in China, with it's totalitarian government, the people enjoy lots of personal freedoms that we Americans have given up.

The US is just a terrible place to live for someone who is broke and trying to come up. It's becoming almost impossible these days.

What field are you in?

And could you give us some examples of greater personal freedom in those countries?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For example?
For example people drink alcohol in the open. They drive vehicles without having to fill out tons of paperwork and pay tons of fees.

Afoordable dental of health care is available to everyone. Not just people who have good jobs with good insurance.

You can sell things out on the street to make money without getting in trouble. Street vending is allowed much more.

The police there are much more laid back and don't hassle people for no reason. The police do not have macho complexes.

If you want to join a gym, you walk in and pay some money, they give you a card and you have a pass for a month. No paperwork, no activation fee, etc. And this is how almost everything else goes. Nice and simple with no extra fees and paperwork.

In just about every area of society, there are less fees, less taxes, less paperwork and BS to deal with.

In the US, Mega-corporations have taken over. In China, a poor guy can work hard and start up a small business and it will succeed much easier.

In just about every way. You can walk the streets with a sense of freedom. And do things with less restrictions.

China is not a good comparison though. It would be better to compare the US and South Korea since they are both capitalist democracies. And in South Korea, it is also a MUCH more free country than the US. All the things I listed about China exist in South Korea, but there is also a free press, free internet, etc.

There are almost NO freedoms we have that they don't have. The only ones I can think of are gun ownership, and more lax drug laws.

Or better yet, compare the US to South American countries like Peru or Ecuador. These countries also are truely more free, although they are also poor.

In the US, we have had a lot of our freedoms taken away, and most people just don't know any better, because they don't know any different.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM

8,640 posts, read 9,157,250 times
I've had it too.
Tahiti here I come!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,297,355 times
Quote:
I am totally broke. I'm in debt. No car. No job. I have almost no money in the bank. As I wait to go overseas, I spend my days eating cheap food, excercising, working on art, and keeping myself busy doing anything that does not cost money.

The only reason why I can go over there is because I found a gig that will pay to fly me out there and set me up in a free apartment. I'm just waiting for the paperwork to go through now.

I applied at about a hundred places in the US with no luck, been unemployed for months. Then I started applying overseas and got hired within two days.

Hell thats sounds like a good deal for you. I wish you the best of luck, pretty cool to travel and get paid for it.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
What field are you in?

And could you give us some examples of greater personal freedom in those countries?
Just for info....

The USA has been falling in the list of freest countries for 20 years now. From 1st to 6th freest before the Dictator Bush took over, under his watch the USA fell to 16th freest country. The freest country in the world is Hong Kong.

Even some former Soviet states are more free then the USA. Who said where are the marches? We cant march. The pigs will arrest us for unlawful assembly.....even though we peasants have the right to peaceful assembly. We can not speak up or we will be put on the FBI watch list as potential terrorists.

And dont insult me by saying "our" govt. They ain't my govt, they do nothing for me, they do not represent me, and care nothing about me. The never ask me to vote for actions that affect me and my fellow man. They only do whatever benefits them. And just for saying this you can bet I am on the terrorist watch list.

Freedom of speech? Where? That went bye bye.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Just for info....

The USA has been falling in the list of freest countries for 20 years now. From 1st to 6th freest before the Dictator Bush took over, under his watch the USA fell to 16th freest country. The freest country in the world is Hong Kong.

Even some former Soviet states are more free then the USA. Who said where are the marches? We cant march. The pigs will arrest us for unlawful assembly.....even though we peasants have the right to peaceful assembly. We can not speak up or we will be put on the FBI watch list as potential terrorists.

And dont insult me by saying "our" govt. They ain't my govt, they do nothing for me, they do not represent me, and care nothing about me. The never ask me to vote for actions that affect me and my fellow man. They only do whatever benefits them. And just for saying this you can bet I am on the terrorist watch list.

Freedom of speech? Where? That went bye bye.
Exactly. Things have seriously down downhil in the past couple decades and many people seem to just not even notice it. It's like boiling a frog slowly in water, it will just stay there until it boils to death.

Freedom of speech? There must be about 100 countries out there that have that same freedom, yet people speak of it as if it's only an American thing. And this freedom has even been diminished recently in many ways.

When you travel the world a little bit. You realize that living in the US is a very tightly controlled lifestyle. Very boring too because of it.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,157,182 times
I'm guessing that you will teach English as a job over there?

I know what you guys mean, fly into Moscow, you go through a normal, courteous passport control and customs process, if your visa is in order and you are not carrying a duffle bag full of grenades, you don't have any problems.

Come back to the good old USSA, particularly in New Yawk, and the ninja and drug sniffing dogs are all over the place.

Fred Reed has an excellent column on just this in his Fred Columns - "TSA" -

So what are we going to do about this?

What would George Washington do? What would Thomas Jefferson do? What would Benjamin Franklin do?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 PM

220 posts, read 992,102 times
all of your blah blah blahing leads me to believe you are on the lam -your dislike of paperwork, the police, registering your car, selling crap on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment