Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,703,782 times

Advertisements

not working is not a luxury, it only means you don't get income which is highly stressful

housework, child care and errand running and bill paying IS work that those at home end up doing and its anything but luxurious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,127,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
not working is not a luxury, it only means you don't get income which is highly stressful

housework, child care and errand running and bill paying IS work that those at home end up doing and its anything but luxurious.
Just an FYI, most of us who work outside the home do all of the things required to keep a household running as well.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:20 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
I primarily work for the money. Why I work at my particular job includes a few reasons ($$$, enjoyment, drive).

Old 04-12-2009, 07:37 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,347,757 times
I work for a variety of reasons.

Unquestionably one of those reasons is money. Eating is a habit to which I have become accustomed, and I would like to be able to continue that habit. I am also rather fond of having a solid roof over my head, reliable transportation when I need it, and the ability to pay for medical care.

Even if the money were not a factor, though - if a rich uncle I didn't know I have were to die and leave me $10 million or if I picked up a discarded lottery ticket that turned out to be a jackpot winner - I would still work. I love the intellectual challenges of my job, the experience of being given a problem or a conundrum and the thrill of resolving or completing it. It gives me a level of satisfaction and fulfillment that I have never, ever found by staying at home.

I don't mean to discount the work that stay-at-home adults do (moms and dads both). It is important and vital as well, and I know that many people who work caring for children or other relatives find a great deal of satisfaction and reward in it. I am just not one of those people.

Although I like and respect my colleagues, work for me is not so much about social interaction. I tend to be solitary in nature, and although I'll interact with others when it's necessary, I'm just as happy sitting by myself at my desk, puzzling through a complex reconciliation and overcoming it.

When the time comes for me to retire, which will happen someday, I suppose, the first thing that I plan to do is to go out and find a non-profit organization that needs my skills, and volunteer. I don't want to just vegetate at home, and I also don't want to spend my sunset years down at the senior center chattering with all the other old folks. Assuming that I keep my health and most of my marbles, I plan to spend the rest of my life in some form of work-related activity, simply because I enjoy it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,291,640 times
I work for the money period. I've worked most of my adult life but did have a period of about 8 years when my son was small of staying at home. Working has some perks of getting out into the world etc, but if I didn't have to have a salary, I think I could find those kind of outlets by volunteering part-time etc. (There is also plenty of work to be done at home for that matter, which doesn't tend to get done because I'm out ...working.)

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,703,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just an FYI, most of us who work outside the home do all of the things required to keep a household running as well.
Most? I keep hearing about how the working spouse comes home and doesn't do much and expects the SAHP to do the majority of household work as they feel its their job.

If you have an equal partnership, thats awesome, but rare too.

If your single, then of course you do the housework as there's no real choice other than to be a total slob.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Most? I keep hearing about how the working spouse comes home and doesn't do much and expects the SAHP to do the majority of household work as they feel its their job.

If you have an equal partnership, thats awesome, but rare too.

If your single, then of course you do the housework as there's no real choice other than to be a total slob.
I work outside the house. My husband does as well, and is out of town with his job a good three weeks of the month--including weekends. That leaves me to take care of the home pretty much entirely by myself. I do the shopping, cleaning, minor repairs that can't wait (or call the plumber/irrigation company/etc. and manage that situation if it's something that can't wait that is beyond my ability to repair on my own), take care of the pets, pay the bills, you name it. When my husband is around I cook for both of us, do both our laundry, etc.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,095,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I work outside the house. My husband does as well, and is out of town with his job a good three weeks of the month--including weekends. That leaves me to take care of the home pretty much entirely by myself. I do the shopping, cleaning, minor repairs that can't wait (or call the plumber/irrigation company/etc. and manage that situation if it's something that can't wait that is beyond my ability to repair on my own), take care of the pets, pay the bills, you name it. When my husband is around I cook for both of us, do both our laundry, etc.
Wait till you have kids--if you think you work hard now, wait for that...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,970,400 times
To pay the bills and provide a decent life for myself.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Wait till you have kids--if you think you work hard now, wait for that...
I've been there, done that and survived. Barely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment