Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 PM

303 posts, read 847,096 times

Advertisements

I'd do ANYTHING to have a job right now! I'd like a job not just to earn money, but also to feel productive and put my skills to great use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,372,645 times
I work full time and my income mostly goes to pay the dentist and doctor bills and clothing costs (kids) and groceries. My spouse's income covers the utilities and mortgage (just). So when I got laid off, it was not devastating, we wouldn't have lost our house as we have a fairly low mortgage. but it was very tight belted for a while until I was re-employed. God forbid if we both had lost our jobs like so many in this economy. Or someone in our family had gotten ill for a period of time.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,372,645 times
hey calgal - so many are like you. Please seek out an unemployment support group. You can find out about them through your public library or a nearby church or such. I joined one and it was very helpful. I am praying for everyone in this country that is unemployed.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,532,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Doesn't going to the same job every day, day in day out, 50 weeks a year for however many years get boring?

As far as being home all day long...there are books to read, meals to cook, gardens to tend, pets to play with, yoga to practice, paths to walk, sunshine to soak up, waves to surf,...........in other words, no I don't get bored not having a job (and I haven't had one in almost 20 years).
This sounds about right.. we hope to retire early and though we won't be surfing the waves in Eastport, Maine(where we are saving to move to).. the water will be in my agenda everyday.. even if it's just having a cup of joe watching the sunrise over the water.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,134,370 times
"I'd do ANYTHING to have a job right now! I'd like a job not just to earn money, but also to feel productive and put my skills to great use"

Well why don't you volunteer while you are out of work and job hunting.

Help out with a large non-profit's fund raising, or helping people fill out taxes or hellp people save their homes...there are many non-profits where you can volunteer and improve or gain new skills.

just a thought

Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 AM

27,387 posts, read 27,431,542 times
Even if I didnt have to, would choose to do so. Just couldnt 'not' work. Being that I like meeting people, working with others, getting out there and doing something useful, is me. And am not a 'work-from-home' person. Not getting out there, sitting at home all day, no thanks. I just have too many different skills to just 'not' utilize them in one way or other. Im a people person. Period.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,532,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Even if I didnt have to, would choose to do so. Just couldnt 'not' work. Being that I like meeting people, working with others, getting out there and doing something useful, is me. And am not a 'work-from-home' person. Not getting out there, sitting at home all day, no thanks. I just have too many different skills to just 'not' utilize them in one way or other. Im a people person. Period.
Who said anything about sitting? Between helpful volunteer activities, and community theater.. I hope I'll have enough time to learn how to geocache and snowmobile. Oh and we also hope to own a boat.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,134,370 times
hmmm volunteerism is good, but the idea is not to volunteer for the warm cuddly feelling it gives you and the person you help, but to volunteer with an organization, municipality, agency where you can utilize skills that you can put on your Resume, during those many weeks you are unemployed...

hmmm

Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,469,313 times
I hate working. I would much rather never work again and just spend my time staying in shape, shopping for clothes, and trying to look fabulous. A shopping spree in Paris would be okay by me, too.

But, unfortunately, that's just not my situation.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,469,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If we had enough money that I did not have to work, I would not work. My day would be like this:

6AM to 7AM, rise, shower, dress while watching Morning Joe
7AM to 8AM, Cook or go to the Waffle House for coffee and breakfast
8AM to 9AM Read morning papers
9AM to 11AM run 2 miles, gym
11Am to 12PM- read mail, clean up whatever needs to be cleaned
12PM to 1 PM - Lunch- by me or at a little eatery.
1PM to 3 PM- swimming pool M, W, F and bowling Tues and Thurs
3 to 5 PM- play on the internet
7PM - Dinner out at a fine restaurant with bottle of wine/champagne either alone or laughing it up with friends.

9:30 PM -- Relaxing in the outdoor hot tub while counting the stars and looking at the moon.

10:30 PM -- Climbing into my King Size bed with 800 thread count sheets.

P.S. I would like to reserve a little time during the day to visit the spa for a message, pedicure, manicure, eyebrow wax, facial, that sort of thing. Girl's gotta have her down time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment