Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 10:28 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I haven't worked because of social anxiety and partially because of laziness. I'm living with my parents. As far as I see it I can't afford to be honest with future employers or people I meet. The truth is too embarrassing. I may be honest if for some reason I get close to someone. I'll take advice on where do I begin in terms of making money. Also on what do I tell people. I wish things didn't come to this but my choices have led me to where I am today. I wish I didn't had to lie but for now that's my only option.

Do not lie, it will bite you in the a$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 03:53 AM

23,873 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Just tell the truth: tell them you got it out of your system and want to try something new- working for a living.
It is actually being bold, some employers may like that honesty and you are being so straightforward, not a trickster.

Think what are your strength and describe them: you might know some great apps the business could use - shifts management, customers data , etc, etc.
Could you make a business promo video for different social platforms?

You obviously don’t mind seating long hours in front of the screen - maybe some video monitoring you could do?

Ask of their expectations and if you think you could fulfill them- just promise that you could do it.

Say you don’t mind an extended probation period.
Don’t get upset if they fire you after a bit if it is a bad fit.

Keep looking for another type job - the adversity builds resilience.
You will be able to observe people and interact with them as a co-worker - building up your social skills and becoming more confident.

How is your attention span for mundane repetitive tasks? A lot of entry level jobs is full of them.
Analyzing your current skills and presenting them to your employer could make them assign some positions you could try out.

What do you think you might be interested in doing?

Think you need to start with companies where you could walk in for interview.

Look up your state department of Labor and Training- they may have some programs they sponsor or at least conduct job fairs for unemployed- use them to get an idea.
You need to start somewhere.

If you analyzed your skills: try to make a résumé and sign up for professional accounts to look for entry level or training provided jobs.

Look into Google certificate programs too.

If you want to work - there is a job there for you, don’t fret!

Congrats on graduating to an adulthood!

You're early with congrats for adulthood as the OP is making excuses why he can't do whatever entry level jobs everyone is suggesting, he's also talking about government assistance applying for disability for his "social anxiety". He will never get over his anxiety unless he gets out of the house whether it's a J O B or to see a psych for medications. He has never been diagnosed, has some how managed to live without medication.

Quote:
The alternative to not working for a living would probably be homeless. That's a great motivator to not giving up. I guess I can't be sure what will happen but people can change for the better. I can't know what will happen unless I try. Laziness is not my main issue, social phobia is.

If you do have social anxiety/ phobia you need to get out of the house to see a doctor to get a diagnosis then they will prescribe medications which should help. You need to do it ASAP because once COVID dies down, the job market returns to normal, your chances of working get slimmer.

A lot of entry level jobs are hurting for help. It's the perfect time for you to start adulting to prepare for the rest of your life without parents to fall back on.

I'm surprised your step father has not thrown you out yet.

What about a father? Do you have one in your life? How does he feel about you not working?

Quote:
Self assessment. I will have to visit the right professionals. Also apply for social anxiety disability. I don't think I have any hard skills, I don't have any skills

Your parents are probably in their 50's like me. You could lose one or both of them, especially these days with cancer. In 2009, my hub was diagnosed with stage 4 tonsil cancer in his early 50's. His type was caused by the HPV virus which is a sexually transmitted disease. I've known a lot of people diagnosed with some type of oral cancer since then, one of my school classmates significant other was just diagnosed with tongue cancer, had surgery the other day.

I used to go to oral cancer message boards, there were some husband and wives fighting it at the same time. Not all of them survived either. Some that did, did not drink to keep swallowing during treatment, if you don't do that, you lose the ability to swallow. Those that it happened to stopped working, so life at home changed drastically without that main paycheck.

My point is that there are a lot of things in this world that can take out one or both of your parents. You mentioned being homeless which is a reality for someone like you who not only does not have a job, you've got no work history. Add to it your undiagnosed anxieties. You would be drowning trying to figure out what to do. I doubt that you drive or own a car so you couldn't even live in your car. Maybe you have relatives that will allow you to live there, continuing to do nothing to help pay for your way with their electric, gas, water and food bills increasing due to you living there. You would over stay your welcome fairly quick.

You don't know how fortunate you are to "wake up" if you're really serious about getting a job right now because it is the perfect time for someone like you with no work history to apply to places because most entry level jobs are hurting for help. They will not care that you have no experience because help is better than no help.

Fast food by me is especially hurting, a few only do the drive thru because there is not enough staff to work registers and make the food. I personally would never work fast food. I also don't think it would be good for someone like you with social anxiety because you will be working shoulder to shoulder with people and have to deal directly with customers.

I agree with the suggestion that you consider an over night stocking job because you wouldn't be around a lot of people.

You also mentioned applying for "social anxiety disability" which I take to mean that you want to apply for social security disability which you would not qualify for because you have not worked to pay into the social security system that you want to collect from which also brings up another point, retirement which is a long way away for you "right now" in about 35 years but now is when you need to worry about how you will live in retirement because it depends on what you do now to save for it.

When people retire, they get social security every month. Everyone's social security is different, for some it is $800, for others it's $2,000 or more depending on what type of job/career salary they had that they paid into social security to collect at retirement. No work history equals no social security to collect from.

Some have pensions which are pretty much a thing of the past for "boomers". The newest way to save for retirement is a 401k which people have been paying into since they started working if they're lucky enough to have a job that participates. I don't have experience with 401k's, maybe someone else replying can elaborate on it so you will be able to see how important it is that you get a 401k started to save for retirement.

Your retirement will count on you, what you put into it. If you do not wake up, living in the street will be what your retirement looks like.

Your only option would be to apply for SSI which is Supplemental Security Income which is for people who are dirt poor, who have not paid into social security, who can not work. See the link I left, it tells specifics. I'm not sure what they pay per month, probably under $800 a month. You would have to be able to survive off of that for the rest of your life, that is if you will even qualify.

I will mention Walmart and Sam's club again which by me they're hurting for help. As I mentioned, they pay for employees to go to college. If college is something you may want to do, this may be a good way to get college without applying for student loans which will put you in debt, debt that you can never claim on bankruptcy, it follows you to retirement, they will take your social security, if you do work and pay into it at some point, and it will follow you until you're in the ground. That is when the loan is done, when you die. The amount you borrow for student loans will grow every day due to something called interest. Your $20k college could end up costing 3 or 4 times more due to interest. Working for an employer that will pay for college is harder to find these days, especially entry level jobs like retail.

Quote:
I think my life is evidence that I have extreme social phobia. Never had friends or girlfriend. In middle school and high school was asked by different students why I'm so quiet why I never talk. Unfortunately no official diagnosis. I wasn't in special ed or IEP. I did average in school. Didn't have the best of grades or the worst. It's not hard to just get by in school. I'm sure the teachers noticed I was very quiet. They probably assume I was a very shy kid. I don't know if I should have been in some kind of special ed.

If you got by in school, then you did not need special ed or an IEP.

Since you are not diagnosed, you've been able to live without help from medications. IMO, you could not have had "extreme" social phobia because you did live all of your life without a diagnosis or medication.

I know people who do have bad anxieties or other "issues" to where they could not go to school until their parents took them to a doctor to get medications. It was trial and error on what worked and what did not work.

It will be that much harder for you to prove to the government that you do have an actual illness that prevents you from working, even then, these days there are many things you can do where you won't be around people such as you tube videos, or doing some sort of online job, possibly running social media sites.

Last edited by Roselvr; 07-07-2022 at 04:16 AM..

Old 07-07-2022, 04:47 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
There are places looking for employees right now who don't care what you were doing last week, or last year.

They need a warm bodies to do work that needs to be done.

Look around. There are signs everywhere.

The plumbing dept. of our local Lowes could use someone to straighten things out. How hard could that be?

As to white lies, say you were home helping your folks out. Let it go at that.

Forward ever!

Old 07-07-2022, 06:29 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
I'm serious. No need to create some lie about running your own business that folded, or caring for your elderly parents, stay at home parent, or ...

If the OP has any sense at all, he/she could work at, and likely be promoted to assistant manager within a few weeks, at any one of a couple dozen businesses around here.

Just start working and go from there. You'll soon figure out what type of jobs you like best.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are places looking for employees right now who don't care what you were doing last week, or last year.

They need a warm bodies to do work that needs to be done.

Look around. There are signs everywhere.

The plumbing dept. of our local Lowes could use someone to straighten things out. How hard could that be?

As to white lies, say you were home helping your folks out. Let it go at that.

Forward ever!
I agree that there doesn’t seem to be a better time to find a job. I feel like most places are hiring or have signs up about staffing shortages. There are so many places to apply that the OP can just try a variety of techniques in his interviews/apps to see which works out. The early stuff is likely to be retail, warehouse or restaurant work, but you have to start somewhere.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:58 AM

160 posts, read 147,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roselvr;6375642
i know people who do have bad anxieties or other "issues" to where they [b
could not go to school[/b] until their parents took them to a doctor to get medications. It was trial and error on what worked and what did not work.
What were they diagnosed with. Did they all manage to reduce their anxiety and live a more normal life?

Old 07-07-2022, 07:02 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
What were they diagnosed with. Did they all manage to reduce their anxiety and live a more normal life?
She's not a mental health professional and can't diagnose you. None of us can. You're going to need to talk to your regular physician, who may be able to help directly or who can provide a referral to someone better suited to diagnose and treat your condition. It can be trial and error to find the right combination of medication and other therapies that work for you.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-07-2022 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-07-2022, 07:03 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Quote:
Assuming that you have a severe anxiety disorder, therapy and/or medication will help you lead a more normal life.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:06 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,117,033 times
Quote:
Usually it's a bit of trial and error to find the right meds that work for you. For many people, they take low dosages to take the edge off life. For others, they may need a combination of different drugs and different dosages. Different meds work better for different people. Which is why you need to consult your doctor on what the best strategy is for you.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:09 AM

7,620 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
I think most if not all employers would reject me if I were to be honest.
You need a point of entry. Like, you need to go learn coding or get some education that results in a job offer. I like the idea of the military. If you have good scores there's a lot of occupations that will translate back to the private sector. Otherwise, you are going to have to start with entry level jobs and stick with them long enough to go to the next level job (rinse and repeat). It's as if you are 18 (hopefully you look young). If it was only a couple of years you could say you were traveling or studying independently. But, at 30 with no work record I think you need to do some serious training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment