Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 05:23 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,893,802 times

Advertisements

OP - Also get tested for low Testosterone. What drove me out of my parents house(s) wasn't them. It was the desire for Women. Some may disagree but my opinion is it should be natural for a Man to want to be self sufficient and eventually acquire resources to "build a nest" to attract a mate. Humans over-complicate these types of discussions. We are not that much different from "animals"

A lot of NEETs such as yourself likely have undiagnosed low Testosterone which would naturally lead to these behaviors such as job seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 06:34 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
For the most part I haven't been productive. Most of my time has been spent online, YouTube, video games, etc. I've decided to turn my life around and start being pro active. I think they'll probably keep taking care of me but I'd rather start taking steps towards being independent now rather than all of a sudden.

Did it ever occur to you to try to make money doing videos while playing games then upload them to you tube?

My grandson, 9, has been watching you tubes of people gaming since he was about 3. It's helped him figure out how to play some of the games with what you have to do to get more weapons or ammo, lives, characters, various clothing, stuff like that.

All you would need would be the right type of editing your video so that kids could follow along.

You may luck out that your channel is found or that you videos will be up next because of the content you had matched whatever the kid was previously looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If your social anxiety prevented you from working before, how is it that you can work now? What has changed? It sounds like your parents enabled your laziness and excuses.

Do you have any actual legitimate work experience to put on a resume?

Some places are so short-handed that they will train anyone who is willing to show up and work. You sound like a 31 year old with the work experience of a 17 year old, but you might find someone who will take a chance on you. As noted by another poster, you may need to establish reliability by volunteering.

If he was in my town, Walmart and Sam's club would hire him because they're short for help. The pay is pretty good too. At Sam's OP can get experience running various fork lifts that may help in the future. They make decent money to run fork lifts.

Walmart and Sam's which are owned by the same family, will allow you to go to college on their dime. If college is something you may be interested in, working for one may be the way to go.

My daughter worked at Walmart, I think that would not be the better fit for you because there are so many more employees and managers that may not like you to where you'd get written up. You have two write ups, then your canned on the third one.

Sam's has less employees. My hub works 3 to closing, loves it. Usually he's home anywhere from midnight until 2:30AM, depends how much they had to do plus how many people called out. He tried taking an online college class to train to be a manager but did not have time to devote to it because we were selling our house, plus it was income tax time, he was self employed before retiring so there was a lot of paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
First off you said you are making a change, you are seeking to better your life- good on you.

Now it is quite hard to spin years of unemployment. If you where in school, volunteering etc... that is a bit easier to spin but to spin "for the past years I was relaxing/playing video games at home" that is tough to spin.

You may want to consider jobs that really don't care about past degree/don't need a degree or don't require/care much about experience.

So if we are talking the office side I would look to temp agencies and specifically look for data entry, customer service, clerical low level office work. Normally those jobs especially customer service (not many people want to be on the phone for 8 hours a day go figure...) are always hiring and the job requirements are more or less "can you use a computer?"

If we are talking warehouse type work I would look at like Amazon, UPS, Fedex etc...

And you always have the retail and fast food sector.

Bottomline I doubt your gig will be something you are passionate about and pays well but at this point you need something on the resume. Honestly once you have a few years of work exp. on the resume, the focus on the unemployment gap tends to go away.

At this point just get something on the resume.

I think Amazon would hire him for their warehouse, forget UPS unless it's for holiday helper. Doubt Fedex would hire either. Pretty sure they're one of the harder companies to get into

Old 07-06-2022, 07:03 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What "lower end jobs" can one get that allows them to move up into a decent career? Employers don't count Mcjob experience for career jobs.
Grocery stores.

A friend started working part-time at a grocery store in HS. 25 years later, she's a manager of a store and is making great money.

Not every decent career has to be in an office or a trade.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:36 AM

170 posts, read 148,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Don't lie. Your prospective employer will find out and quickly pass you up.

If I were an employer, and you presented yourself well for an unskilled labor position, and you admitted to me what you've admitted to us in here today, I'd probably hire you. I like that kind of honesty, so I'd give you a chance to prove yourself,,,, BUT you have to present a very good first impression. Dress properly. Stand tall. Be polite and interested in working for my company. Show that you're eager to change and prove yourself an asset.

Lie, and it's over.
I watched a few YouTube videos and they were saying that they lied or didn't exact tell the truth because otherwise they wouldn't have been hired. But from the comments on my thread it looks like lying is not the way to go so I'm confused. If I'm honest and keep getting rejected I think I'll eventually have to lie. The alternative could be being homeless or another unfortunate circumstance.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:44 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,768,236 times
1. Do you have a resume?
2. I didn't exactly start my career early myself but I was determined to have my own money and contribute to my household. So I got my assistant teacher certification and proved my worth. Now I tutor, teach summer school and will be starting a new job in August. You have to get willing to start from the bottom and overcome your hurdles. Excuses won't help you.
3. Try temp agencies for a foot in the door.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:46 AM

170 posts, read 148,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Get a job where the only requirement is that the mirror fogs up. They won't ask too many questions, and you having a clean criminal background check (I imagine spending most of your time gaming and browsing Youtube you didn't have much opportunity to commit crimes) would be a leg up already.

Of course this job will not be great either in pay or in what you do. But whatever it is, just try to be really good at it. If anyone asks just say that you've dealt with personal and mental health issues before but are getting better.
I'm worried about saying I had personal issues or especially mental issues. It's vague and they might interpret the worse. They may assume I'm crazy or something. What should I say if they want details. I can't really shrug off a question from my employer, that's the person that decides if I'll be fired or not

Old 07-06-2022, 07:51 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,768,236 times
Quote:
I'm worried about saying I had personal issues or especially mental issues. It's vague and they might interpret the worse. They may assume I'm crazy or something. What should I say if they want details. I can't really shrug off a question from my employer, that's the person that decides if I'll be fired or not
You can't let that stop you. I have anxiety issues but I didn't let that stop me.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:04 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Would your parents pay for you to see a career counselor, who can advise you on your strengths and coach you on interview techniques? If you're looking for a minimum wage job that doesn't require much experience, they're going to care more about whether you're reliable and show up for your shifts.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-06-2022 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-06-2022, 08:34 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,233,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Grocery stores.

A friend started working part-time at a grocery store in HS. 25 years later, she's a manager of a store and is making great money.
Took 25 years to make that happen.

In addition, try to get a job in another better paying field, that grocery store experience won't count for anything. Get hit by the catch-22.

In addition the grocery store manager jobs work people to death. This kid's anxiety won't handle that.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:35 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,233,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Don’t worry about it. Sounds like a better life than being apart of the corporate BS rat race full of sociopaths LOL
The kid can't be doing this forever. Eventually his parents will die, then what? He'll be 50 years old and homeless?

He needs to resolve his issues and adult up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment