Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 04:06 AM

1,909 posts, read 1,161,147 times

Advertisements

I’m a single, straight guy and work in a field in which maintaining ties with others in my industry, and building relationships with customers, is important.

I always thought that I treated men and women exactly the same. Pure business, or so I thought. Yet I’ve had now two situations in which women outside of my company clearly have wanted romance. One was a customer and one was a senior employee at another company.

Do you or should you treat someone of the opposite gender differently in work situations? For example, if you’re a woman, do you meet other women 1-on-1 but refuse to meet men 1-on-1? Do you give business gifts only to people of the same gender as you?

I feel stuck, as I want to be sure to treat everyone equally. But if women get a message that there could be romance, even though I think I’m being professional only, I clearly need to re-think my ways.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:22 AM

9,517 posts, read 8,601,610 times
I don't "treat" people differently based on their gender, but I sure am much more careful around women to not make ANY jokes about anything that even remotely touches on sexuality or any related topics. Not like I really did that before, but I'm more conscious about it now. You stand to lose in that situation every time.

Working remotely now, I keep things pretty non-personal as much as I can. I'll give out snippets of personal information here and there but don't share much and don't ask much.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:17 AM

6,627 posts, read 11,409,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I’m a single, straight guy and work in a field in which maintaining ties with others in my industry, and building relationships with customers, is important.

I always thought that I treated men and women exactly the same. Pure business, or so I thought. Yet I’ve had now two situations in which women outside of my company clearly have wanted romance. One was a customer and one was a senior employee at another company.

Do you or should you treat someone of the opposite gender differently in work situations? For example, if you’re a woman, do you meet other women 1-on-1 but refuse to meet men 1-on-1? Do you give business gifts only to people of the same gender as you?

I feel stuck, as I want to be sure to treat everyone equally. But if women get a message that there could be romance, even though I think I’m being professional only, I clearly need to re-think my ways.

Thanks.
"treated"? Do you mean engage with? I'd say that we all engage with different people differently - e.g. executive management vs. your staff, clients vs. internal team members, your family vs. strangers, etc. And of course, men vs. women. This is in regards to properness, politeness, formality, etc.

As for treating them differently? I'm not sure you need to do that. I wouldn't hesitate to meet with a woman 1-on-1 in a business setting. Certainly I'm not going to suggest a romantic restaurant for a business discussion - but I wouldn't do that with a man either....

If you're not sending a message - then none can be received. Albeit that doesn't mean someone can't still be interested. You can just ignore her messages, or if it gets less subtle (e.g. her inviting YOU to a romantic restaurant for a "business discussion") you can address it by suggesting an alternate location.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:24 AM

29,590 posts, read 23,063,098 times
I think the best rule any person can adopt at work is to never assume anything with a co-worker. Just because a coworker is super friendly or approaches you frequently, does not mean that person is attracted to you and seeks a relationship. The relationships section of this forum is filled with person after person thinking their coworker has the hots for them based on nothing but such speculation.

Always keep things professional.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:00 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,138,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think the best rule any person can adopt at work is to never assume anything with a co-worker. Just because a coworker is super friendly or approaches you frequently, does not mean that person is attracted to you and seeks a relationship. The relationships section of this forum is filled with person after person thinking their coworker has the hots for them based on nothing but such speculation.

Always keep things professional.
Well said.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:42 AM

495 posts, read 313,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
If you're not sending a message - then none can be received.
I don't agree with that.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:50 AM

3,035 posts, read 2,293,948 times
I am typically the first to point out inequality or inappropriateness in the workplace. That said, I say keep doing what you're doing.

Surely you have had someone hit on you when you were not giving out any "vibes" or signifying romantic interest, right? In the workplace, it can happen, too. Some people will go for it even when you have a bright neon sign saying "NOT INTERESTED" hanging around your neck.

The best thing you can do is continue to treat everyone equally and nurture your professional relationships.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:29 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,015,809 times
Having a position is like being rich, you really don't know who your real friends are.
Ever see the movie,"Comming to America" ?
A person of position can have no friends except those that do not need him.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:42 AM

1,909 posts, read 1,161,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Having a position is like being rich, you really don't know who your real friends are.
Ever see the movie,"Comming to America" ?
A person of position can have no friends except those that do not need him.
And that would be very, very, very few friends, sadly.

Last edited by GSPNative; 08-17-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 10:58 AM

6,495 posts, read 7,890,157 times
Men and women are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment