Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
OP you must be one hot item for women to come on to you like that. I don't recall you mentioning this problem in your other alias's.

I work in an uneventful place I guess and obviously am an un noticed/unhot item since I have not had these problems. I will also attest to possibly being a boring/undramatic person. I just show up and do my work without thinking how I come across, who I am in a meeting with or what's going on or who's who. The majority of my co workers and work hangouts are male. I have been training/running partners with a few at the gym (I am female) over the years working where I do.

I do understand and agree with people's comments about the need to act and appear professional at work and avoiding "situations".

As for me, I am blissfully ignorant where I work and just go about my day.
I am average. At best. For personality/charisma, I am below average.

I was locked out of a prior user name and created a new account. This has already been addressed by the moderators; I alerted them to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 11:16 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
Unless OP is working in an industry where there are loose lines and high turnover - typically retail, fast food, nightlife, restaurants, etc. then keep it professional. Strive to keep all meetings open and never 1:1 with the other person.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:22 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I don't make sexual jokes with anyone but my close friends, so no. What I'm saying is, I'm THINKING about being overly cautious when women are on a call vs. all men. I don't think that means I'm treating them differently.

For example, in my particular company it's common to throw around a calculated F-bomb on a call with men. "Oh this bleeping customer, he's a real pain in my arse." However, I would never put an F-bomb out there with a woman. In fact, during a video call interview when I was applying for the job, two different men cursed on our call and didn't seem to even notice they did it. I realize that's not sexual in nature per se, but like I said, better safe than sorry.
But assuming that women don't curse or would faint from hearing such language *is* tacitly treating them differently, when it's just as likely that one of your male colleagues could be bothered by cursing in a professional setting.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Thanks, everyone.

To clarify:

I am the one RECEIVING "indications of interest" from the other gender.

I don't want those "indications of interest". I'm not interested at all in having a relationship with a supplier, customer, etc. Never would I do that, but they have indicated that they want that.

I always thought that I kept it professional. I do not want "indications of interest" for a romantic relationship from anyone relating to work.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 5,912 times
Be very,VERY careful, because the Jezebels are coming out of the wood-works. Just stay professional and for God's sake do NOT ever engage with someone while ALONE. There are women out there that will cry RAPE if you do not want a romantic relationship with them. Be Careful. Fear NOT. Just stay professional and realize that some people are attention seekers.
They have a hole in their soul and think that someone from the external can fill it, when in reality they need to learn to love themselves and stop being energy vampires. Keep On Rocking 'n Rolling!! Don't feed into their DRAMA and wiles!!
PS do not ever feel that you need to explain yourself to anyone either. You're professional and your private life has nothing to do with your professional life. If they don't like it, to FREAKING bad. Stay Calm lmao!!!

Old 08-20-2021, 05:30 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But assuming that women don't curse or would faint from hearing such language *is* tacitly treating them differently, when it's just as likely that one of your male colleagues could be bothered by cursing in a professional setting.
I think the difference comes down to how men and women *stereotypically* resolve conflicts. Men normally will address the other man directly and solve things on their own, at least as the first step. Women are much more likely to go to HR/managers, thus posing a much higher level of risk for whomever they’re reporting on. I’m a woman and I think that recent 3rd/4th waves of feminism have created more problems for women in the workplace than they’ve solved - a woman can easily lie on a man, and even in the face of contrary evidence, her story will be accepted as truth. Men don’t have that power. I would agree that some type of recording for 1:1 meetings is good if it has to be closed doors. There is another woman in my office who is a real snake - I audio record every meeting we have because of her nature. Now, I think men could and probably should strive to base their meeting practices on the specific woman in question, so that not all women are being painted with the same brush. But ultimately, the guy wants to keep his job, his personal life, etc. All of which will go up in smoke in the #believe all women society we have these days.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:34 AM

17 posts, read 9,209 times
It purely depends on what are your intentions with the opposite gender irrespective of what are their intention regarding you, So, you need to be pretty clear in your head about what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment